Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Custer did write well, haven’t read it all yet but I think he loved his trade and the West.

Required reading for all who seek to study the man. Hard to believe I ain’t read it before now.

My Life on the Plains

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
First I've heard of it too.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Archaeologist son loaned me Cavalier in Buckskin by Utley and Custer & Company by Camp. Haven’t got around to reading them yet.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
he left off part of the title, “ My Life, AND DEATH On The Plains”. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting, thanks for posting.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Custer did write well, haven’t read it all yet but I think he loved his trade and the West.

Required reading for all who seek to study the man. Hard to believe I ain’t read it before now.

My Life on the Plains
As Benteen said “My Lie on the Plains”

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ruffcutt

My Life on the Plains

Did Benteen really say that?

Bentsen seems a competent no bullsh$t kinda guy, hence I place credence in his opinions.

FWIW (not much) my take on Custer is that he reminds me of Ted Nugent, sure he was successful at what he did, but he had an ego that grated on people.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I know I read that quote by Captain Benteen somewhere, it stuck in my mind but don’t remember where I saw it.
I think I’ve read “My Life on the Plains” but it’s been a long time ago, I’ve got it somewhere.“Boots & Saddles” is one I enjoyed even though Libby probably sugar coated it a bit.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the reminder Birdwatcher. I read that book a long time ago, late 70s (1970s) or so. Read a bunch of these from both sides perspective (a.k.a Black Elk Speaks, etc.) Can't remember much of it so probably re-read time

Saw a lot of choices in the LBH bookstore. A lack of a reading list on arrival and short term gratification caused me to buy a new backpacking boots in Sheridan instead.

The impression I got was that Custer was not anti- native at all, maybe the opposite.

His ignorance of the culture during the Black Hills expedition caused some hard feelings tho.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You know, as much as I’ve read about Custer, I haven’t read his own writings.
Perhaps I should be ashamed, but then I also know that Custer was never afraid to inflate the truth if it suited him.
Like I said, I admire the General, but I also try to separate what really took place as opposed to what sounds good.
Benteen labeled Custer’s Book “My Lie On The Plains”. That’s true.
But one has to take into consideration the timeline.
Benteen never got over the death of Major Elliot’s command at Washita in 1868. Benteen rightly or wrongly held Custer accountable for Elliot’s death, and it poisoned every relationship between the two until Benteen’s death.
Even with Custer long dead, Benteen kept on telling anyone who would listen how much of an azzhole Custer was. Even to his own death.
I admire Benteen’s actions on Reno Hill. Lord knows those guys needed a leader, and Reno wasn’t it. Benteen stepped up on the hill.
But I still believe that Benteen, in spite of his orders from the General, dragged his feet. He had no desire to go to Custer’s aid.
Benteen hated Custer, and Reno hated both of them
A quote from one of the Park Rangers at The LBH Visitors Center.
From my reading, I think this quote sums it up quite nicely.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw a first edition copy in the book store at Garryowen, Montana. Chris Kortlander owned the store and museum there and he had a ton of Custer letters and documents you would never see.

The book was signed by Custer, but he had an inscription inside the cover to his black cook, who had accompanied him on many of his expeditions.

It was signed “Armstrong Custer” and not “George Custer.” No one knows of him signing like that before or since. I could have bought the book for $9,000.00. I asked Chris a few years later if he would sell me the book, he said that once he found out the inscription was to Custer’s cook, the price was now $21,000.00.

I didn’t get the book…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Custer’s wife defended him vehemently. There are a lot of people that know more than me about it but I think it was just a perfect storm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lostleader
Thanks for the reminder Birdwatcher. I read that book a long time ago, late 70s (1970s) or so. Read a bunch of these from both sides perspective (a.k.a Black Elk Speaks, etc.) Can't remember much of it so probably re-read time

Saw a lot of choices in the LBH bookstore. A lack of a reading list on arrival and short term gratification caused me to buy a new backpacking boots in Sheridan instead.

The impression I got was that Custer was not anti- native at all, maybe the opposite.

His ignorance of the culture during the Black Hills expedition caused some hard feelings tho.

Custer was, in fact, an advocate for Indians and got in trouble with President Grant for testifying against Grant’s brother and William Belknap, the Secretary of War, for misappropriation of Indian funds.

While Custer was on the Black Hills expedition of 1874, he captured a couple of Indians and kept them hostage for several days so they wouldn’t alert their tribe and raise hell with the expedition. It was a massive train of 300 wagons and 1000 men, but he wanted to avoid any conflict with the Indians. In the dead of the night, several days ride from the Indian village, Custer gave the Indians horses and supplies enough to get back to the tribe.

Custer’s Indian scouts were upset with his letting the Indians go, as they wanted to kill the captives. This is one of several instances where Custer had compassion for Indians.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad to see you weighing in on this, Shrapnel.
You probably know more about Custer and LBH than anybody else on the ‘Fire, so I’m anxious to see if you agree with my impression of Reno and Benteen.
If not, would you fill me in . There maybe some things I’m missing.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruffcutt

My Life on the Plains
Look
Did Benteen really say that?

Bentsen seems a competent no bullsh$t kinda guy, hence I place credence in his opinions.

FWIW (not much) my take on Custer is that he reminds me of Ted Nugent, sure he was successful at what he did, but he had an ego that grated on people.

Benteen hated Custer and wrote a letter that got published in the Saint Lewis Democrat, a newspaper, and it was extremely critical of Custer at the Washita battle in 1868. When they attacked the village, Major Elliott left with about 16 other troopers to attack an adjacent village and never returned.

When the Indian encampment down the river from Black Kettle’s camp, came in response to the fighting, Custer rallied his troops, feigned a false charge at the attacking Indians and then retreated with the remaining troops to save them from any attack by those Indians. Benteen considered Custer traitorous for not trying to find Elliott and help them join the rest of the battalion. Subsequently, Benteen wrote the scathing letter to the Saint Lewis Democrat.

A couple weeks later, Custer returned to the Washita with General Sheridan to view the site and determine if Custer was derelict of duty, but found no conditions that supported that claim. Elliott was responsible for his and his commands deaths, but Benteen never forgave him. The residue of that hate, and you have to understand it was real hate, carried into the LBH battle and for the rest of Benteen’s life.

This hatred may be why Benteen never came to aid Custer at LBH, nearly as quickly as he could have.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Just ordered the book. Thanks for posting that. Id like to read his own writing. Have a biography about him that i read a few years ago. This kind of stuff just fascinates me. Love reading accounts of american history from this time period. A unique time, place, and situation that the world will never see again.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
IDK if it is of interest or you probably know about it. There is a book called Canadians with Custer. I believe there were 17 soldiers. Something I wasn't aware of.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I think people lose sight of the fact of how many times Custer coulda easily been killed in the War Over Secession. The guy rushed into combat, gloried in it, culminating in his stopping JEB Stuart and his Invincibles at Gettysburg in a headlong charge even though outnumbered four to one.

After that war, without a frontier to win and Plains Indians to fight, I think he woulda been lost.

Reading his book it does come across that he was a tad tone deaf, he was in campaign against the Cheyenne in the years immediately following Sand Creek, no wonder those Indians wanted to evade/put miles between the US Cavalry and their women and children as a matter of course.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

473 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,149
Posts18,502,807
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.