Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WAM
We were at LBH in June. The last time we were there was 1983. As an observation by an old infantryman, Last Stand Hill was a poor spot to set up a defensive position against a superior force. Too many covered approaches from the river and the north side. But perhaps that was the best they could do in the moment. The victory for the tribes hastened the end of their lives as they knew it. Probably no one would know the Custer name if he hadn’t gotten his men and himself massacred. Garry Owen!

They didn’t pick last stand hill for a defensive site, they were forced there and made the stand.

Custer, on the other hand, had already made his mark in History and would not have been remembered as he is today, but he still would have been remembered, as he was one of the greatest Civil War heroes and that is why there was such shock at his demise by a bunch of savages.

Custer’s leadership throughout the Civil War, was unmatched and very aggressive. He was always at the front of the charge and although his casualties were high, the Civil War was known for that and again, he gets blamed for his bravado, while at Gettysburg there were 10’s of thousands of casualties and little is discussed in regards to that. Yet, on the backside of Gettysburg, Custer and his Michigan Wolverines, took on Jeb Stuart and turned him back with odds on Stuart’s side.

A very interesting person, Custer, and a very misunderstood figure that people hate and revere, yet he was one man that lived one life…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dakota300rum
Seems to be a pattern Hastings you just can't let it go and you are the one trying to to stir the pot. I guess it's from dealing with people like you. And I don't like it so I guess it found me. Why don't you let the folks enjoy the thread. I did not feel I was treated with respect, I didn't like it. I haven't seen you debate or address anything I have said. Shapnel just offered to take a fellow to the the battle field and he said there are too many probabilities and maybe to address here. Hats of to him for that.
If you are having the same issue over and over it is probably something you are doing. There was a pattern with my career as a game warden. Quite a few of the serious poachers are also somewhat crazy and feel entitled. When one got the idea I was dogging him it would set him off. I'm not going to go into the details because it would take pages but 2 ended up in prison and 2 ended up shot (not by me) over their paranoia.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hasting your assumptions about me are Ludacris comparing me to your career as a game warden. Read the posts. To judge someone about a post and then do the same thing I was referring to. And then this. Is this an example of your cop mentality and shooting someone comes to light on this subject. You can't make this up. Is this a pattern of yours making unfounded accusations. Guilty till proven innocent mentality. Like I said let people enjoy the thread. Nobody cares.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
And by the way I'm retired never been arrested have a concealed carry licience which means I have had the feds check me out. I take pride in not taking schit and if you don't like it I could care less.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Too compare me to poachers that are crazy and feel entitled is also crossing the line. You sir should pick your words carefully. That is a very serious thing to say and is an assault on one's integrity.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You have done a pretty good job assaulting your integrity already.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am not the one that started this schit show and didn't start calling people stupid. In fact there has been no debate on any issues only attacks. I try to treat people as I would be treated. So excuse me if I don't care for it when I'm not treated the same.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Explain bean the one sentence wonder go get you shovel it guys like you that only throw fuel on the fire why don't you address what I have said.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too compare me to poachers that are crazy and feel entitled is also crossing the line. You sir should pick your words carefully. That is a very serious thing to say and is an assault on one's integrity.
I think you misapprehended what I was trying to convey. You have said you have history of getting into spats with people that cross you. That is a pattern. I had a history and pattern of setting off crazy reactions in known poachers that would get upset and react with undue threatening behavior when they discovered they were targets.

Don't get upset I was only noting that which you already acknowledged. A pattern of disagreements when you feel insulted.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by WAM
We were at LBH in June. The last time we were there was 1983. As an observation by an old infantryman, Last Stand Hill was a poor spot to set up a defensive position against a superior force. Too many covered approaches from the river and the north side. But perhaps that was the best they could do in the moment. The victory for the tribes hastened the end of their lives as they knew it. Probably no one would know the Custer name if he hadn’t gotten his men and himself massacred. Garry Owen!

They didn’t pick last stand hill for a defensive site, they were forced there and made the stand.

Custer, on the other hand, had already made his mark in History and would not have been remembered as he is today, but he still would have been remembered, as he was one of the greatest Civil War heroes and that is why there was such shock at his demise by a bunch of savages.

Custer’s leadership throughout the Civil War, was unmatched and very aggressive. He was always at the front of the charge and although his casualties were high, the Civil War was known for that and again, he gets blamed for his bravado, while at Gettysburg there were 10’s of thousands of casualties and little is discussed in regards to that. Yet, on the backside of Gettysburg, Custer and his Michigan Wolverines, took on Jeb Stuart and turned him back with odds on Stuart’s side.

A very interesting person, Custer, and a very misunderstood figure that people hate and revere, yet he was one man that lived one life…

Thanks Shrapnel. I always appreciate your input on this subject. You probably forgot more about the LBH than most here know.

I’d like to add, I believe it was at Ft. Buford I read that the Farwest riverboat got the wounded back to St. Louis in 9? days. Yellowstone to the Missouri…

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And by the way I'm retired never been arrested have a concealed carry licience which means I have had the feds check me out. I take pride in not taking schit and if you don't like it I could care less.

So has anyone else who's bought a gun from an FFL since 1993.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
why don't you address what I have said.

You said what you said.

You may certainly believe Custer was tortured/mutilated by Indians. That's your right. But I've not seen much in the way of proof to back your opinion.

Some people believe Billy the Kid wasn't killed by Pat Garrett. Some believe the Grassy Knoll story.

Whatever.

When you engage in these theories, you put yourself out there on the table too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yup I don't have a problem with that, but there are conflicting reports. A person should still be treated with respect. I never made any attacks only offered what I thought was an interesting bit of information.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've also have tried to let this situation die down. And have people enjoy the thread.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by WAM

Custer certainly had his well earned civil war merits.

Custer’s Brother, Tom who also died at the LBH, wasn’t he the recipient of 2 Medals of Honor from his exploits and performances in the civil war?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've been there several time & it's a very very interesting part of history.

While all you say above in true, it's hard to come to a conclusion that at LBH, Custer, for whatever reasons we'll never really know, fu^cked up.

150 years later, hindsight is surely 20-20 by a bunch of armchair quarerbacks though.

Obviously, splitting his command as he did left him vulnerable...............but when he made that decision, he also, obviously, didn't know the magnitude of what he was facing. Had he known, maybe he would have acted differently.

But that's the mystery & we'll never really know now, will we?

It's a fascinating piece of history though.

JMHO,

MM

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
My gosh people, if you want to know the truth and nothing but the truth, simply ask CNN. Especially if Custer was a republican.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree with Shrapnel in that Custer and his men probably didn't have a choice for their last stand location. My guess is that they were overwhelmed, started to retreat, had that "oh schit" realization, and then it was every man for himself.

A bigger picture aspect was communication or lack thereof. If I remember correctly, there was supposed to be a three-way pincher movement with Terry from the north, Crook from the south, and Custer from the east. Did Custer know that Crook got whupped and wasn't coming up or not as fast? Did Custer jump the gun, thinking be could take advantage by surprise? Custer may have had better knowledge of his adversary if he knew what happened to Crook. And Terry with more knowledge of events may have updated the plan.

In any event, Custer was a hard-charger, needed in war warts and all, aka Patton, etc. That the research, discussion and interest still today is a testament to him and history. It was tragic, the good guys don't always win or maybe leaders don't always make the right decisions. However, that event, was probably the catalyst for a focused effort to end the Indian wars.

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StGeorger
I agree with Shrapnel in that Custer and his men probably didn't have a choice for their last stand location. My guess is that they were overwhelmed, started to retreat, had that "oh schit" realization, and then it was every man for himself.

A bigger picture aspect was communication or lack thereof. If I remember correctly, there was supposed to be a three-way pincher movement with Terry from the north, Crook from the south, and Custer from the east. Did Custer know that Crook got whupped and wasn't coming up or not as fast? Did Custer jump the gun, thinking be could take advantage by surprise? Custer may have had better knowledge of his adversary if he knew what happened to Crook. And Terry with more knowledge of events may have updated the plan.

In any event, Custer was a hard-charger, needed in war warts and all, aka Patton, etc. That the research, discussion and interest still today is a testament to him and history. It was tragic, the good guys don't always win or maybe leaders don't always make the right decisions. However, that event, was probably the catalyst for a focused effort to end the Indian wars.

The Indian wars were over, but battles lingered for some time. Indians saw the writing on the wall when Lewis and Clark went west in 1804.

There were no winners in the Indian wars, a huge difference existed between Stone Age inhabitants of the Americas when they were invaded by Europeans and technology of the day.

Many people criticize the policies enacted against the Indians, but in those times and setting, it couldn’t have been handled much differently…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
The good guys don't always win?

Hahaha!

I am MAGA.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (257 mag, 35, badwolf, BDR1, beefan, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,057
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.