Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Got a buddy who can't find ammo and is heading out on an elk hunt in a week or two. I can borrow dies and I have a few slow powders here and some 160 acubound has anybody got a load that's worked pretty good that would give us a quick start on load development?

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by kraky111
Got a buddy who can't find ammo and is heading out on an elk hunt in a week or two. I can borrow dies and I have a few slow powders here and some 160 acubound has anybody got a load that's worked pretty good that would give us a quick start on load development?

Hodgdon shows 7 160-gr loads on their website.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center

Good luck!

Last edited by plumbum; 08/27/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Even Nosler has online load data for this combo - surprise, surprise, surprise

There's folks that would give their left nut for some of those 7mm / 160 AB's right about now

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks for the website links I have been to both places and of course the data can very quite a bit between the two manufacturers. I was hoping for the proverbial "this is the load me and my buddies are using and it works in every gun" scenario but I knew it was a Hope n a poke!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

There's folks that would give their left nut for some of those 7mm / 160 AB's right about now

You don't say? Seems a strange concept. Nosler data for a Nosler bullet and for a Nosler cartridge? Hmm..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the website links I have been to both places and of course the data can very quite a bit between the two manufacturers. I was hoping for the proverbial "this is the load me and my buddies are using and it works in every gun" scenario but I knew it was a Hope n a poke!

Doesn't sound like you were wanting to do any load development, or are you? OP unclear. Which is it? Working up a great load is pretty easy to do and you don't have to waste a ton of components either. Of course if you've loaded for a while you already know that. Look at the online Nosler load data, pick a powder and go with it. Can I point you to something that would work well in quick succession? Yes, it's pretty easy really.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
BSA your more generous than I am. He waits till the elk hunt is 2-3 weeks away to get his gun squared away and ammo supply secured. ? Fug 'em.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'ld rather be kraky's buddy.

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
BSA your more generous than I am. He waits till the elk hunt is 2-3 weeks away to get his gun squared away and ammo supply secured. ? Fug 'em.mb
Well put Double fug the dumbasses

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
I'ld rather be kraky's buddy.
Well leadminer to bad you aren't, as hard as it is to get an elk tag Kraky's buddy ought to be a whole lot more serious about having himself and ammo needs squared away long before the hunt. Sorry crap is what I call it...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
So heres the deal... my buddy is a hard-working Dairy Farmer. Summer is extremely busy for them. Him his brother and dad got tags and are going on the hunt of a lifetime and by their standards it's a fairly expensive hunt. They are not terribly experienced people at shooting high-powered rifles... Wisconsin deer hunters yes open field shooting not so much. Yes the whole process dragged out a lot longer than I hoped it would too.
They're bread and butter farming took precidence over their hunt of a lifetime...summer is busy.
Unfortunately I think he is of the opinion that ammo is just ammo and doesn't realize different recipes shoot far more accurately than others and he thought I could build him some extra ammo and it would be the same as any other ammo. I did try one recipe and had mediocre results. They are not lazy ...I am not stupid... it's just a clumsy situation.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I’m keeping mine.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
But Nosler's "most accurate powder" and load will shoot way less than a
minute of elk at any reasonable distance he would want to shoot at.

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Nosler most accurate load with the 175’s worked great in the last 28 I worked with, H1000.

H1000 also shot excellent with 162 ELDs, wasn’t listed as their most accurate but it was a great load. Both loads were right on the book speeds as well.

It’s an easy cartridge to get going. And the speed will be there.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I don’t have the 162 picture but if you can take me at my word it fell into the average between the 175 PT and ELD.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You don't say? Seems a strange concept. Nosler data for a Nosler bullet and for a Nosler cartridge? Hmm..

Sometimes I don my Captain Obvious hat. smirk

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good lord, have them use a 30-06, don’t need a 28 Nosler to kill elk.

At this point a new rifle makes more sense than pulling a magic load for a relatively new cartridge out of my āss.

Heck, I got a spare -06 around here somewheres shooting 180 gr Partitions at 2800 fps. He can borrow it.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks Beretzs... I do have plenty of h1000 here I will try to get them up some test loads quick.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Do you have any Reloader 26?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Do you have enough bullets?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Yes... I've got enough bullets. Now I'm having a b**** of a time getting decent run out on sized casings and I come to find out the case wall variance is three to four thousands on some of the most expensive shell casings out there LOL... this [bleep] always happens when you're trying to do somebody a favor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.