Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I picked up a Japan A-5 Magnum twelve recently and it looks like I'll need to replace both the buttstock and the fore-end. Will the stock and fore-end from a non-Japan magnum 12 work on this gun?

I knew when I bought it that the fore-end would likely need to be replaced but completely missed a well-camouflaged crack in the underside of the butt stock.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by Ekim1966; 08/28/22.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's Japaneasy, go synthetic.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Send it back to Browning. I bet you a cup of coffee and a donut they replace it, no charge.

They did for me. I offered to pay and it was done and returned without charge other than my cost to ship it there.

God Bless America
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If Browning can't help the real guru on the Auto Five is Art's Gun Shop in Hillsboro, Missouri. Art is the best of the very best. Art ran Browning's gunsmithing operations at their Arnold, Missouri facility for 20+ years. Another source is Midwest Gun Works in Pevely, Missouri. MGW does most of Browning's warranty work in the midwest/south.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I would go synthetic. My forearm cracked on mine and I bought synthetic. The wood butt stock is hanging in there so I haven't replaced it. I drove up to Arts last summer and he tore mine down deep cleaned it and replaced the firing pin in mine in about an hour. Didn't charge much either. Interesting guy.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My impression of the synthetics is that they have more drop than the walnut ones. Is that so, or just my notion?

I’ve owned two Belgian Light Twelves and they fit me very well.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I will second if Browning won't take care of it buy replacements from midwest gun works. I bought a japan SA22 that had a broken stock at the wrist. Midwest gun works offers a fully finished replacement, no fitting required.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
Hunt down NWTF matte walnut stock set and thank me later. I still have a Light 12 and Mag 12 set in the safe for a matched set build if I can find time to fit and then send the metal off to Walter Birdsong for Black T.

Midwest Gun Works originally posted them on eBay for stupid cheap years ago.

Depending on your plans, a set of Stalker stocks wouldn't hurt you, if you have matte finished metal, which you probably don't since it was originally a wood stocked shotgun.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The A-5 is pretty notorious for being rough on stocks. It is a long recoil system snd the barrel slides back to operate the action. It hammers the fore end. The Remington 11-48, M-11, Franchise, Savage and others copied the action at one time or other. As it wears it will get sloppy. If you soft shoulder one it might not have enough resistance to operate the action. The Japanese version stock won’t fit the Belgian model without fitting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put as synthetic on my Jap A5 Mag, had no issues and the drop at heel is identical to the wooden butt stock.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
You have the right dog !

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Is Magnum wood different from a light 12? If so, what is the difference? Asking for a friend. smile

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
ditto Art's Gun Shop

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All the best people.

Originally Posted by sactoller
I put as synthetic on my Jap A5 Mag, had no issues and the drop at heel is identical to the wooden butt stock.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 160user
Is Magnum wood different from a light 12? If so, what is the difference? Asking for a friend. smile

Forend, location of the barrel lug, buttstock on light 12 usually has a plate, magnum has a pad

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Darryle

Forend, location of the barrel lug, buttstock on light 12 usually has a plate, magnum has a pad

Thank you and I had assumed that on the stocks but is there a way to tell the forearms apart by looking?

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Thanks guys. I ordered a synthetic stock & fore-end set from Midwest.

I may go the wood route at some point but I don’t have the patience for it right now.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Darryle

Thank you and I had assumed that on the stocks but is there a way to tell the forearms apart by looking?

Yes

3 shot, Light and Magnum, left to right

[Linked Image from stockandforendforshotgun.com]

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,268
Posts18,486,569
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.