-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tikka started out as a budget rifle. Popularity has driven prices higher. It retains a a lot of ease-of-manufacturing shortcuts. One-size-fits-all receiver length, tubular reciever, inability to top of the magazinbe without removing it. And all that's fine if it works well. But the one thing I simply can't stand is that weird recoil lug design - where the is a loose aluminum recoil lug wedge that is pressed into the stock and engages a notch in the bottom of the receiver. Since that design was introduced, the net has been replete with comments on that fact that those wedges get deformed over time, that they inadequately engage the receiver, that they get lost - so much so to the point that some users shoot them without the lug. The recoil lug needs to be integral with the receiver like on Mausers, Win M70s and Ruger M77s, or between the barrel like on Rem 700s and Browning X-Bolts. The recoil lug should not be a little loose piece that can be lost, or has to be glued into the stock, or has to be replaced with an after-market steel lug due deformation of the stock aluminum lug. To me, of all the things in a Tikka, that recoil lug screams "cheap." Otherwise, they apparently work fine, and to me look nice.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Tikka started out as a budget rifle. Popularity has driven prices higher. It retains a a lot of ease-of-manufacturing shortcuts. One-size-fits-all receiver length, tubular reciever, inability to top of the magazinbe without removing it. And all that's fine if it works well. But the one thing I simply can't stand is that weird recoil lug design - where the is a loose aluminum recoil lug wedge that is pressed into the stock and engages a notch in the bottom of the receiver. Since that design was introduced, the net has been replete with comments on that fact that those wedges get deformed over time, that they inadequately engage the receiver, that they get lost - so much so to the point that some users shoot them without the lug. The recoil lug needs to be integral with the receiver like on Mausers, Win M70s and Ruger M77s, or between the barrel like on Rem 700s and Browning X-Bolts. The recoil lug should not be a little loose piece that can be lost, or has to be glued into the stock, or has to be replaced with an after-market steel lug due deformation of the stock aluminum lug. To me, of all the things in a Tikka, that recoil lug screams "cheap." Otherwise, they apparently work fine, and to me look nice.

Since the T3x came on the scene it has a steel lug. The shroud is also steel. The Lug is certainly a PITA at times but is effective, a lot of rifles have done away with the conventional recoil lug whether it is sandwiched between the barrel and receiver or a piece of the action.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
The one size fits all action for the Tikka is a minus. There not a budget rifle anymore. The other being that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I hate ugly guns. Unless it’s strictly for utility or a cheap truck gun who wants to hunt with a fuggly rifle even if it works? Savage’s and Tikka’s IMO are ugly as sin.

I know some guys that like to brag about the accuracy of their Savage rifles. Now, I've owned a couple that I traded for, and then traded away, without ever shooting them. I've handled them, and quite honestly consider them to be among the homeliest looking guns ever made, no matter ho good they may shoot. Same way with the Tikka's, only I can attest that they shoot very well, or at least that's been my experience. But, they are not as pleasing to my eye as a 700 is.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Since the T3x came on the scene it has a steel lug. The shroud is also steel. The Lug is certainly a PITA at times but is effective, a lot of rifles have done away with the conventional recoil lug whether it is sandwiched between the barrel and receiver or a piece of the action.

You beat me to it. The T3x has made the aluminum lug a thing of the past.

As for the "one size fits all" receiver I don't see how its actually a problem, rather than an issue of preference. Same with asthetics. Some may like it, some may not, but they seem far from being an objective problem.

I dunno, still not seeing any way a 700 is actually demonstrably better. More like people just prefer one over the other for their own reasons.

Last edited by Igloo; 08/17/22.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Igloo

As for the "one size fits all" receiver I don't see how its actually a problem, rather than an issue of preference. Same with asthetics. Some may like it, some may not, but they seem far from being an objective problem.

I dunno, still not seeing any way a 700 is actually demonstrably better. More like people just prefer one over the other for their own reasons.

Magazine, BDL floorplate and ADL are available from the factory and tons of aftermarket offerings as well.
2 action lengths allows longer COAL
Better gas handling in the case of a pierced primer. Right lug raceway is wide open on a Tikka
Triigertech,Timney,Geiselle ,Shilen and Jewell triggers.
Every stockmaker out there has a 700 pattern .
Scope mounting options
More Gunsmiths that know how to work on them
Receiver can be lightened on a 700 not on a Tikka.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Ky221
Originally Posted by bobmn
So Bugger you think a 1 in 14" twist is a good idea in 22-250 chambering?

I'm personally ok with it. I like the idea of light bullets going fast when varmint hunting.

I can only speak for myself but if I wanted to shoot 70g+ bullets I'd just bump up to a 6mm of some flavor. But I can see where a shooter in todays world might find the 1:14 twist to be .....limiting.

I agree. I’ve killed a truckload of coyotes with that twist rate in my 22-250 and 50 grain ballistic tips. It’s extremely accurate and deadly.
I shoot 70 grain ballistic tips in my 240 weatherby. It’s also quite effective but not a “pelt” gun, but they’re close to worthless anyway.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 700 was a “budget rifle” and used “ease of manufacturing shortcuts” when it was introduced too. I consider them same same.

Yup.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The rampant Fhuqktardation of The CLUELESS,never disappoints in it's magnificent grandeur...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I've shot a bajillion of BT's and Max's through 22-250's ranging from 7-14" RPM. The increased RPM simply increases the Terminal Effects of same,while opening windows to VASTLY superior projectiles,less any "concession". Pass the .545 BC and hold The Fluff ladies. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqks trying to "talk" such mechanics,is never not HILARIOUS. I reckon you gals have a herd of "Custom" 06's too,wearing 1-14",as it's long been Fast Twisted.Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

For those "daring" enough to try,I shoot a few .243" bore chamberings too. You Drooling Fhuqtards,only "shoot" your mouths and Imaginations. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If only in the interest of keeping things "fair",for you [bleep],here's a few of the .224's I shoot. Twist rates run the gamut and well over 100 spouts all told. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The 14" RPM 22-250 will shoot none of these,if only for starters. Had 1000 of the new RMR 75's hit the porch yesterday to boot. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

It's never been difficult to cypher who shoots and who don't. Fortunately for you gals however,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you ladies can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Igloo

Magazine, BDL floorplate and ADL are available from the factory and tons of aftermarket offerings as well.
2 action lengths allows longer COAL
Better gas handling in the case of a pierced primer. Right lug raceway is wide open on a Tikka
Triigertech,Timney,Geiselle ,Shilen and Jewell triggers.
Every stockmaker out there has a 700 pattern .
Scope mounting options
More Gunsmiths that know how to work on them
Receiver can be lightened on a 700 not on a Tikka.

The bit about gas handling is a great point! That is what I am looking for.

The rest is all about the availability of custom options, which doesn't really say the 700 is a better rifle in any way. If anything, it says a ton of it is often replaced. But in any case, does not mean superiority over a Tikka. Just that there is more ability to customize if someone wants.

Means nothing if they don't.

But at least there's one or two good points where a Remington 700 is better than a Tikka, because everything else so far in the thread seems to be "I like it better".

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKduck
The 700 was a “budget rifle” and used “ease of manufacturing shortcuts” when it was introduced too. I consider them same same.

Same, I mean even when they were a few hundred bucks cheaper here in Canada, it came up to the same thing since an SPS or ADL was going to have a trigger replaced with a Triggertech. And then I had to live with garbage finish. Still like 700s.

But at that price they cost the same as a Tikka, on which I never replaced anything. Well, not true. I replaced a stock with a B&C once and found out that for several hundred dollars more, it did nothing for me and the Tikka stock suited me just fine.

So they're a wash for me too. I mean the 700 ain't exactly without any corner cutting itself if we're calling the Tikkas a budget gun.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I like 700's and have owned and used a boatload of them but the difference between the Tikka T3 and 700 is that the Tikka is ready to shoot well right out of the box. I have never owned or seen one that did not easily meet the guarantee of 3 shots under an inch. I bought my first T-3 about 20 years ago, I have bought some 700's since then but the 700's keep going down the road and the Tikkas stay.

If anyone ask me what rifle to purchase I unhesitatingly recommend Tikka. They are plug and play - requiring nothing except adding a scope.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've looked at at least a dozen 'new' 700s and none of them had any mechanical primary extraction due to the different design of the bolt tube. Sad.... -Al

Forbidden Zoner
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by drover
I like 700's and have owned and used a boatload of them but the difference between the Tikka T3 and 700 is that the Tikka is ready to shoot well right out of the box. I have never owned or seen one that did not easily meet the guarantee of 3 shots under an inch. I bought my first T-3 about 20 years ago, I have bought some 700's since then but the 700's keep going down the road and the Tikkas stay.

If anyone ask me what rifle to purchase I unhesitatingly recommend Tikka. They are plug and play - requiring nothing except adding a scope.

drover
I agree 100%. I have also sent some 700's down the road after being a life long fan. Tikka has replaced the 700 as being the best shooting (Out of the Box Gun). Say what you want about them, The Dam things just flat out shoot.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
I've looked at at least a dozen 'new' 700s and none of them had any mechanical primary extraction due to the different design of the bolt tube. Sad.... -Al

New as in since the RemArms relaunch?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKduck

It was at the time, I agree. Tubular receiver. Recoil lug ring. Brazing. It was designed to cut down on manufacturing costs.

And I don't look down on the Tikka. I just don't care for the recoil lug design. But it is, by all accounts, a great gun. I've considered one myself.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'll pull the pin on this grenade!

Remington is the Chevy of rifles.

If you like them, you ignore the mismanagement of the company and the obvious defects with the product.

Brand loyalty is fine but.......

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
It looks to me that the Alpha 1 is the replacement for the 700 even though they kept 700 in the name. I do like a longer mag box, 8x40 screws and the side bolt release. Old scope mount won’t fit so there is that. I would like to see what twists they will be offering

Last edited by pacecars; 08/28/22.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
It would be nice if they would get around to servicing their products with parts support.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Too bad they aren't as nice as Ruger 77's.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 72 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,514
Posts18,509,439
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.