Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by jwp475
Nope fighting in a jungle in dense foliage using WWII tactics was the biggest problem. Not chrome lining the barrel and chamber in a tropical environment was another problem and early on no cleaning kits to maintain the weapon
You didn't need a cleaning kit because the M16 was a self-cleaning rifle.

Really?
Then you never experienced helo prop wash when landing in a dry rice paddy. Ripping your poncho liner off your rifle so you could use the damn thing wasn't very assault worthy.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Nope fighting in a jungle in dense foliage using WWII tactics was the biggest problem. Not chrome lining the barrel and chamber in a tropical environment was another problem and early on no cleaning kits to maintain the weapon
You didn't need a cleaning kit because the M16 was a self-cleaning rifle.
BS, no chrome lining in a tropical setting produced rust without oil the rust couldn't be helped
Of course, that was a joke. But that's what the early users were told.

Sorry went right over my head

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bugger
That's a Chinese AK. You can tell by the bayonet.

The AK's were reliable. The M-16's should have been made by Daisy - they would have been much better - couldn't have been worse. But the Vietnamese didn't use the spray technique. They actually had rifles they could trust, and they aimed them. When shooting my M-16 at night with tracers, I could see the bullets tumbling - it begged the spray option. There was no faith in our rifles or the ability to hit anything.
There were some made by Matel, if I recall correctly. "Brrrrrrrr, brrrrrr, brrrrrr".
I remember getting issued an M-16 during basic training at West Point in 1985 and saying "Damn, this is exactly like the p.o.s. plastic rifle my 7 yr old brother was playing with when I left home last Tuesday - it just weighs more".

Last edited by Triggernosis; 08/31/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
That's a Chinese AK. You can tell by the bayonet.

The AK's were reliable. The M-16's should have been made by Daisy - they would have been much better - couldn't have been worse. But the Vietnamese didn't use the spray technique. They actually had rifles they could trust, and they aimed them. When shooting my M-16 at night with tracers, I could see the bullets tumbling - it begged the spray option. There was no faith in our rifles or the ability to hit anything.
There were some made by Matel, if I recall correctly. "Brrrrrrrr, brrrrrr, brrrrrr".
I remember getting issued an M-16 during basic training at West Point in 1985 and saying "Damn, this is exactly like the p.o.s. plastic rifle my 7 yr old brother was playing with when I left home last Tuesday - it just weighs more".
Funny that it evolved into Americas most popular rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have read about the total nightmare that was the XM16, the feud between MacNamara and Army Ordnance, the shenanigans, and the stupid orders that soldiers got, that did get many Americans killed. Criminal behavior, to say the least. There was even a congressional hearing in 1968, and heads should have rolled... but, of course, didn't.... It's pretty maddening, really, and I have no personal axe to grind in the situation.

They did, however, finally get the gun worked out. The M16 of 1967 is not quite the same thing as the AR today.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Stophel
I have read about the total nightmare that was the XM16, the feud between MacNamara and Army Ordnance, the shenanigans, and the stupid orders that soldiers got, that did get many Americans killed. Criminal behavior, to say the least. There was even a congressional hearing in 1968, and heads should have rolled... but, of course, didn't.... It's pretty maddening, really, and I have no personal axe to grind in the situation.

They did, however, finally get the gun worked out. The M16 of 1967 is not quite the same thing as the AR today.

This^^^^.
Not to mention the powder type change, against the rifle makers objections.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Me and my brother had one of those each back in the 1960s or early 1970s. Looked just like the real ones. Made a machinegun sound, too.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mjac
This^^^^.
Not to mention the powder type change, against the rifle makers objections.
Yep. The military had lots of powder left for the 7.62 NATO round, and wanted to use it, so they insisted the 5.56 be loaded with it. Wrong powder, so it clogged the guns up.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
My uncle was a deputy sheriff in L.A. county. He was one of many involved in putting down the Watts riot.

He carried a 38 Special S&W with target sights and 8” barrel.

He said that the court system made the police look like the bad guys if they carried a “magnum”.

He felt the ammo he used was close to 357 in power. Super-vel if I remember right.
Yeah, I remember reading the articles about Super-Vel in the 1970s.

I have a few laying around from back in the day :-)

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Type 56? That AK Is in great shape, surprising.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I was part of that...
I started in 1982. Then most dpeartments issed only a department approved sidearm. Revolvers were simple and effective. Still are.
I always shot revolvers better anyway. Even that Ruger Security Six.
I moved to a different department in 1987 and we were issued S&W 66 4". Great guns. For a long time we had the option of a personal gun. I carried a Sig P22 for a while before going to a Colt 1911 stainless. We just had to qualify with both the Smith and our gun. Eventually the department changed Chiefs and he dictated a department gun. Ruger P90 and then Glock 22.
I never though much of the 9mm.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Me and my brother had one of those each back in the 1960s or early 1970s. Looked just like the real ones. Made a machinegun sound, too.
That's why I said "Brrrrrr, brrrrrr, brrrrr".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't remember seeing any 9's back then but, did see a few .45's in mostly 1911's. Most cops I saw had S&W .357 Magnums.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
+1 on Mackay_Sagebrush’s comments. Some agencies could STILL be using revolvers. I have first hand experience of an agency just switching to semi autos 3 years ago. It’s an incredibly eye opening experience to train with or observe some who are trained and employed by certain agencies(who personally don’t own handguns or have a background of shooting or hunting)struggle with the weapon manipulation of a semi auto.

Doc_Holidude

Back in the day, I had upper brass ask why we needed hollow point ammo, when 158gr LRN worked just fine for all these years...

Ignorance is the hardest thing to overcome. That and ignorance in training.

Everyone shot at the police range with 30spl. It was hammered into them to never let the brass hit the ground when reloading. Either put it in your pocket, or dump it in the brass can by your firing station.

Then a couple of cops were found dead with their empty brass in the pants pockets. Sometimes it takes a graphic example like that to sink the lessons in.

Those of us who carried rifles usually had to get special permission to do so.
There is no change without the shedding of blood.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mackay,

I’d love to hear the details of that lowlight incident from years ago. I bet several other guys would too. Lessons learned in real time are always helpful and insightful, but also we are all guys who appreciate it and frankly, love storytime! And especially from a trusted and respected source.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Most semi autos were not designed to feed anything but FMJ (ball) ammunition, which had long been known to have a very poor track record for stopping people. Revolver ammo was not limited to FMJ and even using older designs such as the +P 38 Special 158-grain LSWC-HP ammunition produced much better results in the field.

That in addition to the fact that departments were dealing with institutionalized thinking. Change is incredibly slow. Most people that are in charge of policy change are older and have been in a position or on a department for a long time and suffer from the "Well if it was good enough for me" syndrome and confirmation bias. Look how long it took to get things like night sights or flashlights on handguns. Today there are still a great many agencies that will not allow police officers to have a flashlight on a handgun or a rifle.

I worked for an agency that had a dumbfugg of an uneducated twit in charge of the firearms program that was adamant about never having lights on rifles or handguns. It took me being involved in a shootout in a darkened building where the badguy had knocked out the lights and I was trying to balance a light in one hand and a rifle in the other to cause the department to change.

Consider the liability of trying to take a hostage rescue shot with an iron sighted rifle in the dark, holding it one handed, while balancing a flashlight, hoping you don't shoot the hostage. All because the guy in charge is stuck in the 1980s and has deliberately handicapped you.

Change is slow. Not due to technology, but due to incompetence of those in charge. That is why change is so slow in law enforcement.

Mackay, my post was in reference to this story. Sorry I missed quoting it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by persiandog
The four guns in orange were with the offenders. The surrounding guns in blue were with FBI -- though nearly all of the long guns were inaccessible when the balloon went up. Photo: Ed Mireles.
[Linked Image from images.theoutdoorwire.com]
Damn.

Pfft.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 3,219 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,380
Posts18,469,532
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.