Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Blackheart
We do put limits on what technology can be employed with respect to sportsmanship, ethics and what constitutes "fair chase". The question is whether or not the technology that allows the killing of game at ranges beyond which they can detect danger.......

And therein lies the problem, defining what constitutes "ranges beyond which they can detect danger."

It varies with the species, the habitat, and the time of the year. Early in pronghorn season they can be pretty nonchalant about people getting "withing range." Come back a month later and you can't get near 'em.

Not to mention like I said before, you could make a case that many of the technologies we use give hunters an unfair advantage. Like scopes that make 300 yard shots chip shots for many.

Are you going to be the one who gets to decide that a 300 yard shot is "not sporting?"

As far as state agencies limiting shot distances, it ain't gonna happen. Mainly because it's unenforceable.
As I've said before, it would be simple to outlaw the use of lazer range finders for big game hunting and that would take care of most of these 500+ yard pokes. I'm not and wouldn't advocate for that but it wouldn't be anything I'd be upset about either. On the other hand, don't expect me to be impressed by the "sportsmanship" or "fair chase" ethics of these 800+ yard killers because I'm not.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
On the other hand, don't expect me to be impressed by the "sportsmanship" or "fair chase" ethics of these 800+ yard killers because I'm not.

You flatter yourself in thinking anyone cares whether you're impressed.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Hunting seasons can't get here soon enough.......

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
On the other hand, don't expect me to be impressed by the "sportsmanship" or "fair chase" ethics of these 800+ yard killers because I'm not.

You flatter yourself in thinking anyone cares whether you're impressed.
Obviously these long range "hunters" seek to and think they are impressing somebody, judging by all the videos and hero pics/stories they post on the web. It's almost as obvious as you seeking to impress with your incredible intellect.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
So do long range “hunters” back up if game is spotted to close?

Asking for a friend.

Last edited by Mike_S; 09/02/22.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's almost as obvious as you seeking to impress with your incredible intellect.

My intellect is about average. But I understand why you think it's amazing.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
It's almost as obvious as you seeking to impress with your incredible intellect.

I understand why you think it's amazing.
I don't and neither does anybody else except you and that's obvious to anybody who reads your posts. Kind of pathetic but then old hippies always are.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mike_S
So do long range “hunters” back up if game is spotted to close?

Asking for a friend.

I’ve asked similar several times…..though, it was pertaining to the use of very fragile bullets on large big game! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I don't and neither does anybody else except you and that's obvious to anybody who reads your posts. Kind of pathetic but then old hippies always are.

Not nearly as pathetic as old aššholes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Old hippies are old ass holes. It's a universal fact.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Old hippies are old ass holes.
Ever wonder why you're consistently at odds with other members?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Raferman

LOL. As if you had room to talk. The entire purpose of Raferman is insult and instigate.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
"This has to be one of Rick's most profitable threads, since it just keeps up the post-count and advertising rates."

Does that cut into your profits?

I don't get paid to post here, so no.

Rick paid me to do a monthly column on this forum, but I dropped it a couple years ago--along with writing for a couple of magazines, in an attempt at semi-retirement--which works better on some days than others!

Pay no attention to my wise-ass comments, you don't need to explain to me. I just thought your original comment was funny coming from a guy who's posted many times on this thread.

:-) Yeah, I have posted a number of times on this thread! According to my count, a dozen times before this one.

Blackheart matched that 21 hours ago--and is now up to 17!

You're at 23...:-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Maybe so but I'm not the one chiding others for posting on the thread.

Your count is off by the way.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Obviously not.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Maybe so but I'm not the one chiding others for posting on the thread.

Your count is off by the way.

Yap, you're right. According to my latest count I'm at 18 posts here, counting this one.

You're still ahead of me by several.

Thought I was plain about being amused by the entire thread, including both our posts, but maybe not....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

If you run into one ahole, you ran into an ahole. If you run into aholes all day long, maybe you're the ahole...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We do put limits on what technology can be employed with respect to sportsmanship, ethics and what constitutes "fair chase". The question is whether or not the technology that allows the killing of game at ranges beyond which they can detect danger constitutes fair chase hunting practice. I tend to think it does not.

Another comment I'd like to make is on this broad comment by Blackheart--which implies that hunters in general have a broad consensus of what "fair chase" means.

They do not. I've been lucky enough to hunt in over half of the 50 United States, along with over a dozen other countries, some of them several times. The regulations concerning legal "weapons" vary considerably, including cartridges, bullet diameters and weights, as well as bows, muzzleloaders, etc. Legal shooting hours also vary considerably: While most American states (and Canadian provinces) pretty much stick to a half-hour before sunrise to a half-hour after sunset for "game" animals, some allow an hour before and after. Some states and countries also allow all-night shooting--some only for certain animals, and some not.

There are also widely varying laws about the use of artificial lights, baiting, etc. In fact in some parts of the world (including in the U.S) I have talked to hunters who are completely baffled by how somebody might hunt a wild big game animal by just going out and looking for them--rather than sitting near to a pile of potatoes, a "greenfield", an automatic corn-feeder--or sitting in a stand where trained dogs push animals near the hunter.

Some allow hunting any sort of big game with dogs, while others ban it completely. A few allow night- or dog-hunting for some species, but not others.

If I included the methods allowed for fishing this could go on forever--but my main point is that no, there is no consensus "on what technology can be employed with respect to sportsmanship, ethics and what constitutes 'fair chase'."

It might seem so to somebody who's only hunted in a very limited part of the world, such as Blackheart in New York. But there is no world-wide, sport-hunting consensus on what constitutes "fair chase."

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
We do put limits on what technology can be employed with respect to sportsmanship, ethics and what constitutes "fair chase". The question is whether or not the technology that allows the killing of game at ranges beyond which they can detect danger constitutes fair chase hunting practice. I tend to think it does not.

Another comment I'd like to make is on this broad comment by Blackheart--which implies that hunters in general have a broad consensus of what "fair chase" means.

They do not. I've been lucky enough to hunt in over half of the 50 United States, along with over a dozen other countries, some of them several times. The regulations concerning legal "weapons" vary considerably, including cartridges, bullet diameters and weights, as well as bows, muzzleloaders, etc. Legal shooting hours also vary considerably: While most American states (and Canadian provinces) pretty much stick to a half-hour before sunrise to a half-hour after sunset for "game" animals, some allow an hour before and after. Some states and countries also allow all-night shooting--some only for certain animals, and some not.

There are also widely varying laws about the use of artificial lights, baiting, etc. In fact in some parts of the world (including in the U.S) I have talked to hunters who are completely baffled by how somebody might hunt a wild big game animal by just going out and looking for them--rather than sitting near to a pile of potatoes, a "greenfield", an automatic corn-feeder--or sitting in a stand where trained dogs push animals near the hunter.

Some allow hunting any sort of big game with dogs, while others ban it completely. A few allow night- or dog-hunting for some species, but not others.

If I included the methods allowed for fishing this could go on forever--but my main point is that no, there is no consensus "on what technology can be employed with respect to sportsmanship, ethics and what constitutes 'fair chase'."

It might seem so to somebody who's only hunted in a very limited part of the world, such as Blackheart in New York. But there is no world-wide, sport-hunting consensus on what constitutes "fair chase."
I'm aware of all of that and did not intend to imply broad consesus about what is sporting or fair chase across state lines. And here you are increasing your post count on this thread again.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by The_Yetti

If you run into one ahole, you ran into an ahole. If you run into aholes all day long, maybe you're the ahole...
If you don't run into ass holes every day you either don't go anywhere or aren't very aware of what goes on around you because there sure as hell ain't a shortage of them.

Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,707
Posts18,513,889
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.