-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

There can be little doubt that Wolfe Publications has become the epitome of real world, pragmatic information for handloaders, firearm enthusiasts, and hunters. Witness the November publication. Of special interest to me was Venturino's "Myths & Cliches", Spomer's "Shooter's . . . Unsightly Litter", Haviland's "Long Range Elk", Haviland's "Observations . . .", and, of course, Mule Deer's "A Place They've Never Been".

What impresses me, when compared to other publications, is the lack of ego and overt reputation building common with other writers for various monthly rags. It seems too many are striving to be the next O'Connor or Keith, but, one gets the impression that any of the aforementioned authors for Wolfe would be approachable and affable if met in person. Kudos.

Having guided elk hunters for a decade and making a living in the retail end of gun and accessory sales, I have encountered many of the issues these authors bring to the pages on a daily basis. Their opinions often mirror my own conclusions, albeit, admittedly with far less experience on my part.

Between the lines of these articles, one senses emerging issues of shifting attitutes on the part of the general public. With increasingly high density populations, more of our fellow citizens are increasingly divorced from the foundational values upon which our country was built, among them the ownership and use of firearms. These matters raise cautionary yellow flags to those of us that own guns, hunt or shoot regularly, and value the security and essential aspects of 2nd Ammendment guarantees. It forewarns of added legislation and changing perceptions from which we can choose to relocate to friendlier climes or choose to resist wherever we live.

The 2008 election will be critical in electing candidates that support our collective concerns and constitutional guarantees. Further compromises are out of the question and our flexibility to absorb them is about exhausted. We are fed up and tired of the mincing and whining we increasingly hear and yearn for leadership to take us the proper direction.

Wolfe Publications certainly is doing their part. I hope we can all become active and put for the effort to support quality candidates. To wit: Scovill for Governor of Arizona!! Barnes for Montana. Or Mike. Oh yeah!

1,992 coyotes since 1964
1,000,000 rounds downrange
1,250,000 motorcycle miles
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don't split the vote between John and Mike! That's a surefire recipe to lose to the lefties. And trust me, I watched that happen up here over the last many years until we got the egos beat down and our schitt together on our side of the aisle!

When you think about it, John vs Mike would be like having a straw poll... 9.3x62 vs 45-70!

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Handloader

What impresses me, when compared to other publications, is the lack of ego and overt reputation building common with other writers for various monthly rags. It seems too many are striving to be the next O'Connor or Keith, but, one gets the impression that any of the aforementioned authors for Wolfe would be approachable and affable if met in person.

I have met several of the folks at Wolfe Publishing, including the publisher, and will happily concur with your take on them. To a person, they have been down-to-earth nice folks who are happy to visit with another looney.

I haven't met Scovill, so can't speak to him. I am a touch weary of his constant claims in his columns to the effect that every recent advance in rifles, cartridges or bullets came about from his inside suggestions to the various manufacturers. If you read his latest treatise, you'd get the impression that Randy Brooks could fire everyone in his design and development department, and just go with Scovill's suggestions. But, what the hell, maybe he really does have that much influence whistle.

He is the only one in the Wolfe stable who comes across as a screaming egomaniac, but maybe I'm wrong.

The view from up north...not to be confused with My Other Brother Darrell grin.

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,904
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.