Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WAM
I think the US primer shortage is due to folks buying and hoarding bricks of 1,000 instead of the occasional sleeve of 100 as needed to reload plinking or hunting cartridges.

When you buy toilet paper, do you purchase one or two rolls at a time? whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I feel the same way about purchasing what is needed as Pappy.
I just wish I would have had a crystal ball on the 4451, I’ve just been doing a lot of testing, using up my supply. Getting great results and now I’m down to less than 2 lb of the stuff. Having found the ‘best’ load for your pet rifle(s) and then finding out the supply is shut off, sucks.
I think I’ll be looking at powders that are not controlled by Hodgdon.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Bugger
Just out of curiosity; what powder companies are not owned by Hodgdon?

They don't own Alliant, Lovex, Nobel, or Vihtavuori... yet. I bet Alliant will be next, since they're US based.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Since Hodgdon doesn’t make powder, only bottle and sell it, could this really be a decision by the actual powder manufacturer, maybe influenced by military contracts?

Never started with them, so no problem for me. It does point out one good reason for “hoarding”, as some like to call the sensible acquisition of stuff that others use frequently. If one goes to the expense and trouble to develop good loads, it makes sense to secure enough of the components involved to make more for actual use. Some years back I noticed that W780 gave excellent velocity with 160gr NPs in the good ol’ .270. Tried it and it was a winner, so I picked up a second jug. Good thing, as it was dropped soon after. I have what I need for that excellent load for myself and my son’s need in the foreseeable future, assuming Nosler doesn’t drop the partitions, that is.

From Hodgdon's website:
Hodgdon purchased IMR® Powder Company in October 2003. IMR legendary powders have been the mainstay of numerous handloaders for almost 100 years. IMR powders continue to be manufactured in the same plant and with the same exacting performance criteria and quality assurance standards that shooters have come to expect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That appears to settle that, I suppose. Business decision then, by Hodgdon.

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well crud!

My son and I both have 7mm Remington Magnum rifles - and they both shoot real well with IMR 8133. Great velocity and accuracy... Sigh... We've got plenty of loaded ammo and I have one, only one, more pound of 8133 on hand. Phooey.

Hadn't really messed with the other Enduron powders much, but was looking forward to doing so.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How’d it go in Africa? Are you doing a write up here or on Gavin’s site (or maybe both)?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by WAM
I think the US primer shortage is due to folks buying and hoarding bricks of 1,000 instead of the occasional sleeve of 100 as needed to reload plinking or hunting cartridges.

Lol - yeah, and in no way do I consider buying a 1000 primers at a time "Hoarding."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Just another example of something not being made where it's used. We're all at the mercy of other countries, or companies in other countries.

Profits, loyalty. or internal problems of their own will dictate who gets the product or if anybody does. Practically all if not all powder we use being made out of our country isn't a good thing.

Truck chips ring a bell? Wondering what's the next thing that'll bite us.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Fortunately I have a lifetime supply of the IMR powders I use but I still buy them when I find them at reasonable prices. $600 for an 8 pounder is not reasonable . They dropped 4320 without any warning that I'm aware of so I expect no better when they drop anything else. I have several 8 pounders of 4320 but would have bought another case had I known it was being dropped. If they drop 3031 I'll likely be off of their powder. Been using their stuff for more than 50 years so I will miss it .

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
IC B3

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
Fortunately I have a lifetime supply of the IMR powders I use but I still buy them when I find them at reasonable prices. $600 for an 8 pounder is not reasonable . They dropped 4320 without any warning that I'm aware of so I expect no better when they drop anything else. I have several 8 pounders of 4320 but would have bought another case had I known it was being dropped. If they drop 3031 I'll likely be off of their powder. Been using their stuff for more than 50 years so I will miss it .

I was completely bummed when they dropped 4320. I went out and bought about 5 pounds as soon as I found out. Could have used more, but didn't have the scratch at the time. I'm down to my last couple pounds now, and reserve it exclusively for the 303 Savage. I had also been using it in 300 Savage and 308 Win when it was still in production.

I did stock up on what should be a lifetime supply of 3031 and Accurate 4064 this spring, just in case they hit the chopping block. A4064 pretty much became my 4320 alternative.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Alliant is part of the Vista group, which owns Federal and Remington, IIRC.
Originally Posted by zcm82
Originally Posted by Bugger
Just out of curiosity; what powder companies are not owned by Hodgdon?

They don't own Alliant, Lovex, Nobel, or Vihtavuori... yet. I bet Alliant will be next, since they're US based.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by WAM

Lol - yeah, and in no way do I consider buying a 1000 primers at a time "Hoarding."

A abhor "needing" anything.
Wife tells me we need ketchup, I buy 3 bottles.
Like to have the next whatever I need right at hand.

Bought primers by the hundred when I started reloading at 17.
1987, was making $3.50/ hr and 100 primers were a bit over a buck.
Soon realized every loading session was a 25 mile round trip
for primers. Have bought 1000 ever since. The open box, and the
next one.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I too have enough IMR4320. My 350 loved the powder. I don’t develop loads using that powder any more though.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

A abhor "needing" anything.
Wife tells me we need ketchup, I buy 3 bottles.
Like to have the next whatever I need right at hand.

Two is one and one is none!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WAM

And it's only one stick of gum at the checkout.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by WAM

Both of you are correct of course. I worked at a Scheels during college ('95-2000) and 1-3 sleeves of 100 was a FAR more common sale than "bricks" of 1000. I don't know anyone who buys less than "bricks" anymore and I don't see less than bricks being purchased unless the store rules mandate folks less than brick quantities. Same goes for 1# vs. 5#/8# kegs of powder. We sold VERY few kegs of powder, the vast majority of folks bought 1#-2# at a time. Again, now I know very few folks who don't buy 8# minimum at a time.

Sandy Hook, Vegas, and Covid shortages have lots of folks just plain sick and tired of being "out" or "short-handed" regarding ammo. Even folks who don't shoot much or often are now buying the tools and components to be able to load their own. I also know several who'd quit loading and moved to all factory ammo who've dragged their tools out of storage, set them back up, and started to buy components and load their own again.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
I just received this from a supplier....

Hodgdon announced a 9/1/22 increase on select powders (Not all powders). The increase is substantial, but we are working on finalizing that information and getting it to you as quickly as possible. In addition, the following powders have been discontinued by Manufacturer moving forward IMR4166 / IMR4451 / IMR4955 / IMR7977 / IMR8133. These are discontinued in both 1# cans and 8# jugs.

never tried them, so I'm not missing anything...

but they want my attention.. bring back SR 4759 and IMR 4320.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Things like this make me not quite as bummed out as it would have ten years ago. I started reloading at 12, 63 years ago. It was fun, just as driving was once fun. Now both are done out of necessity, only.

That being said, I feel bad for everyone who shoots and loads a lot. Where 2-4 pounds of 5-6 favorite old school powders are my lifetime supply, losing pet powders and loads for the frequent shooter has to be frustrating. It takes work, money, and time to work up best loads, and to have a somewhat monopolistic company pull the plug is infuriating.

Getting supplies of 30-31, 4895, 4831, and 4350 might be prudent, plus some for little calibers and biggest boomers. A good selection of Alliant powders would be something to consider.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone know where to get RE15?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (2ndwind, 1badf350, 338reddog, 117LBS, 204guy, 1lessdog, 29 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,791
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.