Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 21 1 2 18 19 20 21
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That is one argument. My take is, the guys/gals taking marginal shots will take them regardless of weapon type and technology.

Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by SLM
Interesting read. There is no doubt technology has had an affect on take.

NM is in the middle of this conversation now. NMDGF is proposing (almost guaranteed to be enacted) eliminating scopes on ML’s. It’s comical listening to the arguments for and against in NM. I have to laugh when the archers that are utilizing laser range finders, sliders, mechanical broad heads, carbon arrows, etc try to make the argument that ML hunts were meant to be “primitive”.

Same with the rifle hunters utilizing the same laser range finder, turrets, ballistic apps etc.

The technology, ethics conversation is a slippery slope for all of us.

When make the weapons primitive and more difficult to shoot accurately aren't they increasing the amount of wounded game that is lost to waste

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SLM
That is one argument. My take is, the guys/gals taking marginal shots will take them regardless of weapon type and technology.

Originally Posted by SLM

NM is in the middle of this conversation now. NMDGF is proposing (almost guaranteed to be enacted) eliminating scopes on ML’s. It’s comical listening to the arguments for and against in NM. I have to laugh when the archers that are utilizing laser range finders, sliders, mechanical broad heads, carbon arrows, etc try to make the argument that ML hunts were meant to be “primitive”.

Same with the rifle hunters utilizing the same laser range finder, turrets, ballistic apps etc.

When make the weapons primitive and more difficult to shoot accurately aren't they increasing the amount of wounded game that is lost to waste

La. has a primitive weapon season that adds an additional 3 weeks of deer hunting. The requirements are a single shot rifle with an exposed hamer in 35 caliber or larger
Mine is a 1885 Highwall in 35 Whelen with a 3X15X50 scope
No handicap at all

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by smokepole
Maybe so but I'm not the one chiding others for posting on the thread.

Your count is off by the way.

Yap, you're right. According to my latest count I'm at 18 posts here, counting this one.

You're still ahead of me by several.

Thought I was plain about being amused by the entire thread, including both our posts, but maybe not....

Damn, I think you're catching up, I need a few quick posts. What new BS has blackheart spewed while I was gone?

Never mind, I found it, no worries MD.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
If you don't run into ass holes every day you either don't go anywhere or aren't very aware of what goes on around you because there sure as hell ain't a shortage of them.

Wow. I've lived in several places around the country. None of them where I ran into ass holes every day.

If you run into ass holes every day either yetti was right and you're the ass hole or you live in a place full of ass holes.

Sounds like you're in the right spot.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SLM

I can tell you the rationale here. Scopes, sabots, and smokeless are all banned during the early muzzleloader season in the middle of September, but not in the rifle seasons. The common denominator being, they all make longer shots possible. So a guy with a scoped rifle shooting sabots can hunt with his rifle, just not in the early season. And the reason is, the early season falls during the elk rut and bulls are more vulnerable so they wanted to limit the effective range of the rifles to limit the number of bulls killed in the early seasons.

Makes sense here because with all the split seasons and numbers of hunters the bulls have a lot of pressure on their numbers. As opposed to other states where whitetails are the main big game animal, they're over-populated, and the state fish & game agencies want as many killed as possible.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
M.C. Hammer song = Can`t Touch This !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SLM

I can tell you the rationale here. Scopes, sabots, and smokeless are all banned during the early muzzleloader season in the middle of September, but not in the rifle seasons. The common denominator being, they all make longer shots possible. So a guy with a scoped rifle shooting sabots can hunt with his rifle, just not in the early season. And the reason is, the early season falls during the elk rut and bulls are more vulnerable so they wanted to limit the effective range of the rifles to limit the number of bulls killed in the early seasons.

Makes sense here because with all the split seasons and numbers of hunters the bulls have a lot of pressure on their numbers. As opposed to other states where whitetails are the main big game animal, they're over-populated, and the state fish & game agencies want as many killed as possible.

My uncle liked blackpowder hunting! He used his Thompson blackpowder rifle (back in the ‘80’s) throughout the entire Louisiana deer hunting season. He hunted with open sights during the blackpowder season, the put his scope on ( he drilled and taped for the scope bases) for the regular season! He used a blackpowder muzzle loader shotgun back in the ‘50’s…..pretty unusual back in the day! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/03/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by SLM

My uncle liked blackpowder hunting! He used his Thompson blackpowder rifle (back in the ‘80’s) throughout the entire Louisiana deer hunting season. He hunted with open sights during the blackpowder season, the put his scope on ( he drilled and taped for the scope bases) for the regular season! He used a blackpowder muzzle loader shotgun back in the ‘50’s…..pretty unusual back in the day! memtb

Probably a Hawken. I like the old style rifles and I have a Hawken with both .50 caliber and .32 caliber barrels. Accurate and really fun to shoot, especially the .32. But heavy as a load of brick, not so good for toting around in the mtns.
Especially the .32 squirrel gun, that's a small hole drilled in a big hunk of iron with a long walnut stock.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR
I’m not impressed by bow hunters who boast of long range shots. Too great of a chance to wound game. If lasers were outlawed, it might put an end to that 😏.
Haven't seen any bow hunters boasting of long range shots.

You’ve paid little attention. Extending the range of bows is becoming more and more common. Poundage ratings are increasing all the time with some custom rigs reaching 90-100s. People are doing custom sight tapes often out to 110 yards!

With my archery setup, I am comfortable to 40 yard shots on game. I’ve made target shots out to 90 yards. With rifles, I’ve made shots close to a mile target shooting but I will take big game shots out to 800 or so.

The notion that using a laser rangefinder should be outlawed is asinine as it is merely a tool to decrease the chance that an animal may be wounded. Ranging can be done in other ways including manual ranging with a reticle, maps, and even cell phone apps. Would it also be made illegal to have a cell phone while hunting? A mil-dot master? To what purpose? And most importantly, what business is it of yours how others’ hunt?

We’ll, yea, I mean,….there’s that. Anyway, you’ve got some nerve interjecting reason and sense into a 20 page dumpster fire. Talk about unethical! 🤭
If you had any reason or sense you'd realize 90 yards is far from beyond the range that a big game animal is capable of detecting a threat.

This shows you have a flawed sense of ethics. It isn't about game "detecting a threat" most will find unethical. It is taking a shot likely to wound and not provide a clean kill to the game that the average person worries about. Time of flight is the issue here...during that 90 yards of arrow flight, the game could take a step or two resulting in a gut shot or a flank shot, even if you've made a perfect shot. My bullets will reach game at 800 yards much faster than an arrow making a 90 yard trek.

That is the problem, not the hunter's ability to avoid detection.
No doubt you and your kind have no reservations about ground sluicing game birds or shooting tame/captive animals behind a high fence and calling it ethical and sporting. As long as you can kill something it's all good. If you need the meat or you'll go hugry that's acceptable but somehow I think if you can afford those high dollar rifles and optics that isn't the case.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you need the meat or you'll go hugry that's acceptable.......

Acceptable to who?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR
I’m not impressed by bow hunters who boast of long range shots. Too great of a chance to wound game. If lasers were outlawed, it might put an end to that 😏.

You’ve paid little attention. Extending the range of bows is becoming more and more common. Poundage ratings are increasing all the time with some custom rigs reaching 90-100s. People are doing custom sight tapes often out to 110 yards!

With my archery setup, I am comfortable to 40 yard shots on game. I’ve made target shots out to 90 yards. With rifles, I’ve made shots close to a mile target shooting but I will take big game shots out to 800 or so.

The notion that using a laser rangefinder should be outlawed is asinine as it is merely a tool to decrease the chance that an animal may be wounded. Ranging can be done in other ways including manual ranging with a reticle, maps, and even cell phone apps. Would it also be made illegal to have a cell phone while hunting? A mil-dot master? To what purpose? And most importantly, what business is it of yours how others’ hunt?

We’ll, yea, I mean,….there’s that. Anyway, you’ve got some nerve interjecting reason and sense into a 20 page dumpster fire. Talk about unethical! 🤭
If you had any reason or sense you'd realize 90 yards is far from beyond the range that a big game animal is capable of detecting a threat.

This shows you have a flawed sense of ethics. It isn't about game "detecting a threat" most will find unethical. It is taking a shot likely to wound and not provide a clean kill to the game that the average person worries about. Time of flight is the issue here...during that 90 yards of arrow flight, the game could take a step or two resulting in a gut shot or a flank shot, even if you've made a perfect shot. My bullets will reach game at 800 yards much faster than an arrow making a 90 yard trek.

No doubt you and your kind have no reservations about ground sluicing game birds or shooting tame/captive animals behind a high fence and calling it ethical and sporting. As long as you can kill something it's all good. If you need the meat or you'll go hugry that's acceptable but somehow I think if you can afford those high dollar rifles and optics that isn't the case.

You are full of [bleep] and should probably refrain from making statements about things you don't know.

Its not my fault you can't shoot and you wound game at close range.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR

You are full of [bleep] and should probably refrain from making statements about things you don't know.

Its not my fault you can't shoot and you wound game at close range.
Perhaps you should refrain from making statements about things you don't know since you've stated twice now that I can't shoot and wound game and that is far from the truth on both counts. It's too bad you never learned to hunt.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I know it was a 50 cal., I think that it was a Hawken….he shot MaxiBalls in it. I know that he was darn accurate with it, saw him shoot a 3 shot group off of the hood of my 77 Ford Van @ 100 that 2 of three touched with the 3rd nearly making a tight cloverleaf. Using my hood as a rest when shooting blackpowder was not smart on my part, blackpowder, Louisiana humidity, and automotive steel….the perfect trifecta for rust! 🤬 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/03/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Perhaps you should refrain from making statements about things you don't know since you've stated twice now that I can't shoot and wound game and that is far from the truth on both counts. It's too bad you never learned to hunt.

Again, pulling it right out your arse. Keep digging. You can't shoot, can't hung, and you wound game...then you want to assume the worst in others whom you don't know.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Again, pulling it right out your arse. Keep digging. You can't shoot, can't hung, and you wound game...then you want to assume the worst in others whom you don't know.
You've pulled plenty out of your ass there dick head. Most likely you've had plenty rammed up it too. It's impressive as hell that you can get within 800 yards of game before pulling the trigger. Were you wearing your scent lock suit in foggy mountain opti fade vanish camo to accomplish that feat ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You've pulled plenty out of your ass there dick head. Most likely you've had plenty rammed up it too. It's impressive as hell that you can get within 800 yards of game before pulling the trigger. Were you wearing your scent lock suit in foggy mountain opti fade vanish camo to accomplish that feat ?

You really are a jackwagon. The ironic part is that the majority of my hunting is done with a bow. Meanwhile, you can’t hit them with a rifle at 100. Nobody agrees with you here. Your projection of “ethics” is just horse [bleep].

You’re like a communist democrat trying to tell others what they should do. Meanwhile, the rest of us aren’t looking for your approval.

Last edited by drop_point; 09/03/22.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You really are a jackwagon. The ironic part is that the majority of my hunting is done with a bow. Meanwhile, you can’t hit them with a rifle at 100. Nobody agrees with you here. Your projection of “ethics” is just horse [bleep].

You’re like a communist democrat trying to tell others what they should do. Meanwhile, the rest of us aren’t looking for your approval.
You're the ones acting like Democrats you blind ass douche bag. No room for dissenting opinions and go along to get along is their/your stock in trade. And you're such a great hunter you need to shoot 90 yards with a bow. LMAO

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Alwaysindoors has never had sex with another human. Neither did his father.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It might seem so to somebody who's only hunted in a very limited part of the world, such as Blackheart in New York.

Yes, the (black)heart of the matter as they say.

In other news, it was neck and neck but blackheart has pulled ahead and is now leading in post count for this thread!!

Page 20 of 21 1 2 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (1lesfox, 257 mag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 32 invisible), 1,977 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,451
Posts18,528,894
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.