Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For me the top tier is Hank Williams, Sr., Johnny Cash and Jimmie Rodgers

Next tier for me: Waylon, Willie, Merle and Dwight Yoakam

Third Tier: Hank Williams, Jr., Charlie Pride, Charlie Daniels, George Straight, George Jones and a bunch of others.

I'm a fan of Hank, Jr., but a huge fan of Sr.

From what I've heard, Hank Sr was a big inspiration for The Rolling Stones. My favorite of his songs, "The Lost Highway," talks about a "rolling stone," and I've always wondered if that is where the Stones got their name.

My favorite Gospel song, "I saw the Light," was written while Hank was drunk in the back of his mother's car on the way home late one night but is nevertheless a powerful song. When I was a kid, an old cowboy named Jack would get up and belt that song out off key and sounding like he was singing to cows every Sunday in front of the church. Jack was the most humble and kindest man I ever met. He died one winter night in his late 80s while helping someone stranded on side of the road.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Well, whatever Hank's faults may be, I like him.The man hasn't had it easy, and it could be that few could walk some miles in his shoes.

Hank's a creative soul and creative people sometimes exhibit idiosyncrasies that others can't understand. What I know is that he loves America, makes good music, and is one of us.

I give him a pass.
I’ve always liked Hank Jrs. music. I like his music better than his dads and a lot better than his sons. He’s had an easy life in someways and a hard one in others. That’s most of us.

Waylon Jennings for the win as far as most talented IMO.

Waylon was great.

I have an uncle living in Nashville whose stepson fell off a cliff at a state park in 1992. He died right there at the age of 19 or so. Waylon and his wife (and I presume Jessie) took the time to send them a sympathy card and flowers, even though he didn't know my uncle and his wife at all...it evidently was in the news somehow. I thought that was pretty classy. The man made some great music too.

I'm a big Waylon fan. My aunt grew up next door to him in Littlefield. I once asked her what he was like, "Oh honey, he was just weird. All he ever wanted to do was sit on the back porch and play the guitar!"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Well, whatever Hank's faults may be, I like him.The man hasn't had it easy, and it could be that few could walk some miles in his shoes.

Hank's a creative soul and creative people sometimes exhibit idiosyncrasies that others can't understand. What I know is that he loves America, makes good music, and is one of us.

I give him a pass.
I’ve always liked Hank Jrs. music. I like his music better than his dads and a lot better than his sons. He’s had an easy life in someways and a hard one in others. That’s most of us.

Waylon was great.

I have an uncle living in Nashville whose stepson fell off a cliff at a state park in 1992. He died right there at the age of 19 or so. Waylon and his wife (and I presume Jessie) took the time to send them a sympathy card and flowers, even though he didn't know my uncle and his wife at all...it evidently was in the news somehow. I thought that was pretty classy. The man made some great music too.

I'm a big Waylon fan. My aunt grew up next door to him in Littlefield. I once asked her what he was like, "Oh honey, he was just weird. All he ever wanted to do was sit on the back porch and play the guitar!"
Your Aunt had to of known my Grandmother, Allen "Rogers" Woodward, she was also a neighbor. met Waylon and Jesse when I was A kid. I spent my summers in Littlefield, and have an uncle who is only a yr older than me.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Gunzo: Saw him "in person" at a gunshow in Wisdom, Montana several years ago.
He can't be ALL bad.
I sure like his version of "Montana Cafe"!
Not much good comes from hard liquor - at all!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yeah I kind of acknowledged that it seems he treats folks well in person. The interviewer was sub par & it could have been a bad day for him. Maybe his only fault is he didn't choose a good time to be in public.

Otherwise, I've realized he wrote most of his works, & that's quite a biggie IMO.

I did go to a party tonight & saw a lot of old...rowdy friends. They've seemed to have...settled down, as few remained when we left at 11. Probably a good thing as... the hangovers hurt more than they used to. Starting to feel like a...Dinosaur. But I think I'll make it...cause a country boy can survive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well....things have changed a lot in a hundred years.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Bristoe
My Uncle was a big fan of Hank Sr. before I was born. He had a bunch of his old 78s and a record player stuck away in the hall closet when I was a kid about 10 years old. I drug the record player and the 78s out one day when we were up in Michigan and sat there playing them for a big part of the afternoon. They undoubtedly hadn't been out of that hall closet in years. My Aunt finally asked me, "Why are you listening to those old records?"

I just said, "I like 'em!"

I passed through Montgomery Alabama a few years ago while coming home from Florida,...stopped in the Hank Williams Museum,...went to see his grave.

I've read a couple of biographies about him. Apparently, Hank was difficult to get to know very well. He grew up kind of different.

He was always very frail and he lived a life that was hard on his body,..to say the least.

It's amazing that he lived to age 29. His ways make him seem like a very old soul. But he was little more than a kid when he started making a name for himself.

He first hit with "Move It On Over" in 1947, sold 11 million copies of "Lovesick Blues" in 1949, and died in 1953 at age 29. Six years.

Jimmy Rodgers was the biggest C&W Star before Hank Sr came along. He blew the doors off of any sales records Rodgers may have set before him.

Of course, back then it was called Hillbilly Music. 🤠

Hank Snow still holds the record for longest #1 on the charts at 21 weeks…

Nope. Not any more. I looked it up:

“1951- Canadian singer Hank Snow ends a run of 21 non-consecutive weeks at number one on the best sellers chart with "I'm Movin' On", tying the record for the longest-running number one country song.“

“2013-"Cruise" by Florida Georgia Line sets a new record as Billboard's longest-running country number one, finishing with 24 weeks in the top spot.”

Also, Best Selling Country Single of All Time:
“I Walk The Line” Johnny Cash

And, Best Selling Country Album of All Time:
“ Come On Over, Shania Twain (1997) 🤪

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I give him a pass.

Waylon was great.

Your Aunt had to of known my Grandmother, Allen "Rogers" Woodward, she was also a neighbor. met Waylon and Jesse when I was A kid. I spent my summers in Littlefield, and have an uncle who is only a yr older than me.

Y’all may be kinfolk. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hank Jr had a house a few lots down from my aunt and uncle on the bay in Panama City,in the late 70’s-early ‘80s.He’d come over when we’d fry fish,or any other time for anything else.Nobody made a fuss over him,and he was just like any of the other neighbors down there.
Some folks like him,some don’t.But you can be sure that he don’t give a damn whether they do or not…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hate to hear all the negative...the guy gave me a beer and a backstage pass along with his guitar pick....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hank can be a decent guy, one on one. I have several of his Colt single actions and I got them at a good price. He will sell stuff for market value and doesn’t add a premium because it belonged to a celebrity.

People that sell his guns after the fact will sure add the premium that Hank owned it. I don’t know if that enhances the gun’s value or not. I just bought the Colts I got from him because they were nice guns at a decent price.

I did try haggling with him on a Winchester 1876 one time and he didn’t haggle so good. He asked me if I thought he looked like he needed the money, and he was right, he didn’t. I didn’t get that 1876.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-boxes-for-sale-now.cfm?gun_id=102029038

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Not that I would ever sell a gun anyway...but I sure wouldn't sell one I bought from Hank Jr.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Saw him about 15 years ago in Stillwater, Oklahoma. He played about 4 songs with his full band. They packed up and left. He pulled out a guitar. Sat on a stool. And for close to 2 hours just him singing while playing just that one guitar. Great show.
Did the same thing when I saw him in Vegas.

Had a stage full of hats and guitars, hat from guys like Waylon, Don Williams, and other I can’t remember now.
He would put on their hat, maybe grab their guitar (Waylen’s) and sing some of their stuff, It was awesome.

Last edited by steve4102; 09/03/22.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hank is up here in Gods country fishing. My wife showed my some FB shcit with photos, don’t do FB so can’t link.

Duno where he is, but I’m guessing Rainey Lake, fishing with a high school buddy of mine that owns Rainey Lake Houseboats and is the #1 sought after guide on the lake. He has guided Hank in the past as well as other celebs like Jon Bon Jovi.

Have fun fishing Hank.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like sweet young things and Old Grandad
and I like messin' with women I never h.ad

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by poboy
And I like to have women I never had.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by poboy
And I like to have women I never had.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 Another good Hank jr song !

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Hank can be a decent guy, one on one. I have several of his Colt single actions and I got them at a good price. He will sell stuff for market value and doesn’t add a premium because it belonged to a celebrity.

People that sell his guns after the fact will sure add the premium that Hank owned it. I don’t know if that enhances the gun’s value or not. I just bought the Colts I got from him because they were nice guns at a decent price.

I did try haggling with him on a Winchester 1876 one time and he didn’t haggle so good. He asked me if I thought he looked like he needed the money, and he was right, he didn’t. I didn’t get that 1876.

He told me a great story about a Colt SAA in 38-40 that belonged to his Dad. He said Miss Audrey kept it in her underwear drawer for burglars and unwanted visitors.
Said he used to get in trouble when as a kid, he’d sneak it out and shoot it.
I asked if he still owned that gun, and he said “Of Course”. “It belonged to Daddy”.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I give him a pass.

Waylon was great.

I believe her maiden name was "Wade." She died a good while back, but we just celebrated her husband's, my great uncle's, 90th birthday a couple of weeks ago. He's still going strong.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good sense of humor....

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 35WhelenNut, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 2ndwind, 25 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,642
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.