Page 21 of 21 1 2 19 20 21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by drop_point
Perhaps you should refrain from making statements about things you don't know since you've stated twice now that I can't shoot and wound game and that is far from the truth on both counts. It's too bad you never learned to hunt.

Again, pulling it right out your arse. Keep digging. You can't shoot, can't hung, and you wound game...then you want to assume the worst in others whom you don't know.
You've pulled plenty out of your ass there dick head. Most likely you've had plenty rammed up it too. It's impressive as hell that you can get within 800 yards of game before pulling the trigger. Were you wearing your scent lock suit in foggy mountain opti fade vanish camo to accomplish that feat ?

You really are a jackwagon. The ironic part is that the majority of my hunting is done with a bow. Meanwhile, you can’t hit them with a rifle at 100. Nobody agrees with you here. Your projection of “ethics” is just horse [bleep].

You’re like a communist democrat trying to tell others what they should do. Meanwhile, the rest of us aren’t looking for your approval.
You're the ones acting like Democrats you blind ass douche bag. No room for dissenting opinions and go along to get along is their/your stock in trade. And you're such a great hunter you need to shoot 90 yards with a bow. LMAO

Your reading comprehension SUCKS. No wonder you're so confused here. Lord I hope your hunting is better than your ability to keep up with a conversation, both of which are very limited as evidence by your own expression. You're not even intelligent enough to have a rational conversation with. I won't lower myself to anymore conversation with you, you can be a ethical hero in your own mind with you limited scope of experience.

Last edited by drop_point; 09/03/22.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You have no room for criticism when it comes to reading comprehension dufus.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Alwaysindoors has never had sex with another human. Neither did his father.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
For a while now, whenever Blackheart posts I tend to imagine him in his part of upstate New York, telling the other residents that they're not only hunting wrong and using the wrong guns/calibers/sights etc.(if they're hunters) but wearing the wrong shoes/boots, eating the wrong hamburgers, and driving the wrong pickups.

That's just a guess, though it's based on encountering a few of his posts on other 24hour forums....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
In an over the counter state/unit it makes sense. The other option is move the dates or limit lic.

It’s a slippery slope when you have two facets pushing for limiting technology on another.

It’s only going to get worse as Western states deal with the growing demand.

Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by SLM
Interesting read. There is no doubt technology has had an affect on take.

NM is in the middle of this conversation now. NMDGF is proposing (almost guaranteed to be enacted) eliminating scopes on ML’s. It’s comical listening to the arguments for and against in NM. I have to laugh when the archers that are utilizing laser range finders, sliders, mechanical broad heads, carbon arrows, etc try to make the argument that ML hunts were meant to be “primitive”.

Same with the rifle hunters utilizing the same laser range finder, turrets, ballistic apps etc.

The technology, ethics conversation is a slippery slope for all of us.

When make the weapons primitive and more difficult to shoot accurately aren't they increasing the amount of wounded game that is lost to waste

I can tell you the rationale here. Scopes, sabots, and smokeless are all banned during the early muzzleloader season in the middle of September, but not in the rifle seasons. The common denominator being, they all make longer shots possible. So a guy with a scoped rifle shooting sabots can hunt with his rifle, just not in the early season. And the reason is, the early season falls during the elk rut and bulls are more vulnerable so they wanted to limit the effective range of the rifles to limit the number of bulls killed in the early seasons.

Makes sense here because with all the split seasons and numbers of hunters the bulls have a lot of pressure on their numbers. As opposed to other states where whitetails are the main big game animal, they're over-populated, and the state fish & game agencies want as many killed as possible.

Last edited by SLM; 09/03/22.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
For a while now, whenever Blackheart posts I tend to imagine him in his part of upstate New York, telling the other residents that they're not only hunting wrong and using the wrong guns/calibers/sights etc.(if they're hunters) but wearing the wrong shoes/boots, eating the wrong hamburgers, and driving the wrong pickups.

That's just a guess, though it's based on encountering a few of his posts on other 24hour forums....

I could see that being how it goes down with this individual, all while making excuses for his failures.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What does it take to get the gold out of a 46 page thread if you didn’t start on page 1?
Can you just begin at page 44 and start taking shots? Is that ethical?

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Definitely not ethical for me. I only have 41 pages.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Garandimal
but think that a 24"/1:8 twist long-throated .270 Win and 150 gr. ABLR's, at ~ 3,000 fps at the muzzle, should do nicely.

So, what else?

GR

This thread has been a hoot to read...............with some really good comments from Rick C., MD, & Jordan Smith in particular, & a lot of typical noise from many others.

To the OP................yes, if that combination shoots well for you, it will be more than fine at 600 yards. 600 yards, under good conditions, is really not long range, given today's tools.

"So what else"............as already pointed out by many others, a good, dependable scope that allows dialing to match range & trajectory is almost mandatory for consistent shooting at that range. Can it be done with a non-dialing scope & holdover, sure, I've done it.................but you'll have as many misses as hits.

And you'll be better off with more magnification than less,10-12x is just about optimum, in my opinion............I've done it with 8x, but I surely like more now.

And you will need a good, dependable & accurate range finder. Period.

W/o the rangefinder & the dialing scope, you are guessing on range & holdover on every single shot. Even with a 300 yard zero.

I've also worked with the NLRAB in 3-270's & in 2-280's & have not found it to equal to either the standard AB nor the BT in any of the guns, accuracy wise...............yours may be different.

However, at 600 yards, the BC of the NLRAB isn't a significant enough difference over the other 2 to make enough difference to make much difference especially if it lacks in accuracy.

While the 270 is fine & I love it, for a dedicated 600 yard rifle for medium game (deer & elk), I'd prefer either a 7-08 Rem or a 6.5 Creed, if for no other reason, ease of shooting & practice...............all will kill just fine at 600 yards.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

Page 21 of 21 1 2 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

303 members (257 mag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 28 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,450
Posts18,528,889
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.