Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
1" isn't particularly thick. No need for two stage cooking. Just let them sit out of the fridge for at least an hour before you grill them. When you grill the right color onto the outside the inside will be just right after a post grilling rest.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm on the same page as GregW and mathman. Let them get to room temp. Get the grill hot; above 500º. Cook for about 2min a side and let rest for 10mins before cutting into them.

If they were super thick, I could get on board with a reverse sear. Not thinking that's needed for a 1" steak.

I forget which poster told about it, but I'd love to sous vide one in butter and then sear it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anything over a inch is a roast.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Yep. Indirect for the thick stuff.

Keep off the coals until about 110 internal and then put steak over the coals to finish.

yep, for thicker cuts over 1 1/2. Otherwise as stated room temp, rub with some oil season salt, pepper, high temp on each side direct here.

Let sit 5 min. I cover with a piece of foil. Pat of butter on top

Last edited by ribka; 09/07/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Inch and a half steak,room temp,grill as hot as you can get it,steak in middle count to 50 , flip count to 50 , place on plate with tater, salad, other fixings , enjoy

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that you can make a killer steak on a screaming hot cast iron pan. The crust being key. Add butter and if you want, fresh herbs or garlic. Hard to do that on a grill.

I mention that only because on a grill, I want some char and some smoke flavor. Even a gas grill will give a little of that smoke flavor but I think a steak rub helps some as it's still mild.

I don't know anything about briquettes but I like mesquite lump with a few handfuls of wood chips/chunks or even pellets.

All that stated, I think that the best steaks that I have ever eaten were cooked on wood embers. Might be a primal thing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To clarify and answer the question more directly... lump or wood embers in the Weber. Screaming hot. Melt your face off hot. I don't think that you can do that with a gas or pellet grill? It's amazing really.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I think that you can make a killer steak on a screaming hot cast iron pan. The crust being key. Add butter and if you want, fresh herbs or garlic. Hard to do that on a grill.

I mention that only because on a grill, I want some char and some smoke flavor. Even a gas grill will give a little of that smoke flavor but I think a steak rub helps some as it's still mild.

I don't know anything about briquettes but I like mesquite lump with a few handfuls of wood chips/chunks or even pellets.

All that stated, I think that the best steaks that I have ever eaten were cooked on wood embers. Might be a primal thing.

I've always preferred charcoal (hardwood) to gas for grilling but my wife and kids don't like the charcoal flavor. The compromise for us was a pellet grill but it doesn't get hot enough for a good sear on steaks. For me, a perfect steak has a little charred crust/bark on the outside and is red in the middle and I haven't been able to achieve that on a pellet grill. I have had success smoking steaks on the pellet grill to an internal temp of 100-110 and moving to a hot cast iron pan with butter to finish it:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Gives it a little smoke flavor but not overpowering, and a decent sear...

Last edited by JGray; 09/08/22.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
To clarify and answer the question more directly... lump or wood embers in the Weber. Screaming hot. Melt your face off hot. I don't think that you can do that with a gas or pellet grill? It's amazing really.

Reminds me of my first tri-tip on the charcoal Weber kettle - was struggling to get it as hot as I wanted so used my wife's blow dryer to 'fan the flame'. Did such a good job, I used the leaf blower on the next one grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leaf blower! That's awesome!

I know what you mean about the charcoal flavor. I like mesquite lump, but I could understand why some people wouldn't. The only thing that I really don't care for is the popping and sparking. Maybe I need to find some better lump.

I definitely agree on a good sear and crust. I know people who were not happy with their early Traegers because of the low temperatures, but I've heard some new pellet grills get much hotter.

Good looking steak in the picture.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hmmm, trip to Costco for some Prime grade appears in order...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
How thick is thick?

used to get ribeyes cut at a country store.

kept the ribeyes in beer cooler...

lady always cut "inch and a pinch" which was 1 1/4 - 1 3/8 depending on her mood...

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Leaf blower! That's awesome!

I know what you mean about the charcoal flavor. I like mesquite lump, but I could understand why some people wouldn't. The only thing that I really don't care for is the popping and sparking. Maybe I need to find some better lump.

I definitely agree on a good sear and crust. I know people who were not happy with their early Traegers because of the low temperatures, but I've heard some new pellet grills get much hotter.

Good looking steak in the picture.

Popping and sparking is easy to control. Brown paper bag filled with charcoal and warmed in a low oven or dehydrator and stored in tightly sealed plastic bag will eliminate almost all of those little steam explosions.

Do not use the bags it comes in.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Anything over a inch is a roast.

Buying or cutting, 2 fingers thick !

Anything thinner is a minute steak, fit only for a steak sandwich !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGray

I've always preferred charcoal (hardwood) to gas for grilling but my wife and kids don't like the charcoal flavor. The compromise for us was a pellet grill but it doesn't get hot enough for a good sear on steaks. For me, a perfect steak has a little charred crust/bark on the outside and is red in the middle and I haven't been able to achieve that on a pellet grill. I have had success smoking steaks on the pellet grill to an internal temp of 100-110 and moving to a hot cast iron pan with butter to finish it:

Damn man, that’s some epic lookin meat right there!! Wow 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
If Covid didn’t kill you and you can’t grill a Ribeye, GFY

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man you all must have some good jobs to afford rib eyes???only thing I can afford maybe twice a year is round steak..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Bullshit...you always preferred tube steak anyways....

I am MAGA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Bullshit...you always preferred tube steak anyways....

Jimmy just because you are chitting in a bucket due to no running water doesn’t mean you have to act out..

Last edited by 79S; 09/13/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by JGray

Damn man, that’s some epic lookin meat right there!! Wow 👊🏻

When wife is out of town and it's just me, supper looks more like this (Weber kettle and hardwood lump):

But back to the original post, I prefer a thicker cut for grilling 1" minimum, preferably thicker. Easier to get a good sear without overcooking the center...

Last edited by JGray; 09/13/22.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1minute, 219DW, 204guy, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,600
Posts18,511,444
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.