Print Thread
Hop To
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Kinda getting the bug to hunt gemsbok in New Mexico. No - at least right now I can't travel to Africa. frown Perhaps someday. But I can certainly get to and from New Mexico!

I'd like to take the meat, as I understand that it's quite good.

Can anyone recommend a quality outfitter/guide for New Mexico gemsbok? Looks like there are a lot of outfitters to choose from.

Thanks!

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Are you wanting to start applying for a tags or are you wanting to buy a landowner permit and go hunting? Reason I ask is, as you said there are a lot of outfitters that can take you hunting on range(WSMR) or off range with draw tags. Hunts are usually rather inexpensive after you draw the tag. If you’re looking to buy a landowner tag, there are really relatively few outfitters that have access to landowner permits. I can recommend Joe Del Re, Del Re Outdoor expeditions. He hunts Ted Turners Armendariz Ranch. Great hunt. Lots of oryx, good honest outfitter. Landowner option is not cheap, especially after you buy a nonresident license.
If you’re wanting to start applying I suggest contacting the guys at The Draw.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thank you. Am still seeking info, but I think that I favor a landowner permit.

Drawing a danged cow elk tag here in Washington took 7 years... I don't know how many years of big game hunting I've got left. So... ya, I'd rather pay for a landowner tag and enjoy that hunt than start applying for tags that I may never draw.

I'll look into your recommendation. Thank you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope you can make it work out. This is an excellent hunt, especially off-range. Surprisingly, you can approach African-trip prices for landowner, off-range oryx. Bring good glass because oryx really blend well with the terrain in New Mexico. You are spot on about the meat being excellent!

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
you might check with Texas high fence outfitters, some are selling off because of the drought.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My first recommendation is for Casey Kuehnlenz at Cross Country Outfitters. See my post in this forum about my daughter's recent hunt. Nothing but good things to say about Casey. His guiding outfit name is Cross Country Guide Service and he also works for The Draw, which is a tag application service. (575) 649-8402

https://www.guidenewmexico.com/?fbclid=IwAR3anJrYPyCBpmNAxoWE6ia0m08nB6aSVQ30WBMzn7Z2JN_jKUJEcR2Suaw

https://www.thedraw.com/

I'm not sure how many private land hunts Casey does, but I understand you not wanting to wait on a public tag that you may never draw. If you really want to do a private land hunt, I'd call Aaron Bauer at Spot and Stalk Outfitters (505-280-1936). I spoke with him prior to our hunt and he seemed like a good guy that has access to a lot of private land for Oryx. He is highly recommended on facebook and I understand he is very successful.

You may also contact Mike Clifton at Triple C Outfitters (505-506-6704). I also spoke to him and 3 of his references and he seemed like a really good guy and came highly recommended.

Let me know if I can answer any questions. My daughter's hunt was awesome and yes the meat is just as good as you've heard.....

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Cool. Thanks all!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you want to hunt a free range scimitar oryx, WTHO offers a handful every year. There is a nice heard in Rocksprings TX.

Link is below.

https://www.westtexashunt.com/

I shot a 40.5” oryx 2 years ago this December. Not sure how the freeze impacted the heards. We had a bad freeze about 3 months after my hunt.

Last edited by scottfromdallas; 09/04/22.

Scott

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (16penny, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,318
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.