Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Other than the headaches, biting everyone's head off, diarrhea for 3 days, and capable of killing a rhino for a french fry, I'm doing great!

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stay with it ... and try fasting some too. Download fasting tracker. It really helped me.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a coworker that lost a lot of weight with that diet. He said the same thing. That first few days of carb withdrawals were hell but that he felt better after and cut weigh.

French fries with a side of ketchup are the devil!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta lose enough by January to fit in my scuba wetsuit for a 3 week dive trip. Last time I did one was the beginning of COVID and I was trapped and locked down in Honduras for 2 weeks before I could catch a rescue flight out. So the next pandemic starts in 4 months. You've been warned.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SCRooster
Stay with it ... and try fasting some too. Download fasting tracker. It really helped me.
I'm doing keto omad. Basically, I eat a keto lunch and then it's 23 hours until the next meal. Running about a 50% calorie deficit and 10-15 grams of carbs. I'm actually not hungry. The challenge is detox and psychological.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice. About ready to start myself

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’m starting tomorrow. I’m going to be an arsehole in a couple days! But it’ll be worth the short term adjustment.

Mike
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Benben
I’m starting tomorrow. I’m going to be an arsehole in a couple days! But it’ll be worth the short term adjustment.
Yep. My MO is that I start about 50 times and quit after like 1-2 days. At some point, something clicks and the next thing I know it's been like 4 months and I'm down 40 pounds. Been 10 days so far so hoping for the best this time. One of these times I'm going to lose the weight and not go back to filling my face and gaining it back.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good luck.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Who's Keto?

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Who's Keto?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainshot
Who's Keto?
Originally Posted by rainshot
Who's Keto?
He lived in OJ's guest house.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Research about the simple sugars and nutrients from fruits your brain needs.
Eat them while on a keto diet no matter what others via urban legend say.
Lots of studies on this related to keto and brain sugars and other nutrients it needs .
Forcing your body into ketosis via diet is really not a natrual thing.
In Ketosis the body will seek the nutrients it needs, some of these are stored in the brain, others in fat thruout the body and in organs.
Once those internal reserves are being tapped and being exhausted is when brain issues start.

Seen people go bonkers while on keto because their brain is starving for simple natrual sugars to run right

Not talking outta my azz on this, the research concerning keto and the brain basically starving for fuel is out their.

People dont like to be told this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never tried the real Keto thing. Whenever I need to drop bodyfat, I cut the carbs way back, generally only eating fullsize helpings of starchy stuff around a workout time and getting some carbs from fruits/veg at other times. Throw in a meal-skip fast here and there and the bodyfat comes off pretty quickly without it being a miserable way of life.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought about stopping drinking once. Then cooler heads prevailed.

Good luck.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I did the intermittent fasting intermittently for 3 months. Able to drop from 228 to 204. I eat lunch only most days but eat what I want. Cut out sugar and milk from my coffee and cut out the sodas.
I work a rotation overseas. Home 26/gone 30. When I’m gone I intermittently fast. When I’m home, I drink sodas, beer, wine, whiskey and eat regular. My intermittent down intermittently started on a gone month. My low weight measured first day home the second trip home. Figure 90 days.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by renegade50
Lots of studies on this related to keto and brain sugars and other nutrients it needs .
In Ketosis the body will seek the nutrients it needs, some of these are stored in the brain, others in fat thruout the body and in organs.
Once those internal reserves are being tapped and being exhausted is when brain issues start.

Seen people go bonkers while on keto because their brain is starving for simple natrual sugars to run right

Not talking outta my azz on this, the research concerning keto and the brain basically starving for fuel is out their.

This isn't true.

The brain is very efficient at burning ketones.

It takes some a second to convert over to using it efficiently as a fuel, thus the fog and irritability, but most report a heightened sense of mental clarity and focus once in full ketosis (> 2 mmol). Such effects are easily observed in multi-day fasts.

It is very natural that our brain has evolved with a starvation mode, our ancestors spent most of their lives in starvation ketosis.

Also, the keto diet gained medicinal fame in patients with epilepsy, because it diminished seizure activity. The navy has used it extensively for deep divers, who are prone to seizures post rapid rise.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well, I am sticking to my "one cigar per day regimen". On Tuesdays I can have two cigars but I have to skip the Martini if I do.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'm not doing a strict keto diet. It wasn't really working for me. I cut out white carbs...wheat, pasts, rice, sugar etc. Also fasting 18-20 hrs a day with an occasional 38-40 hr fast about once a month. Also taking 3000 units vitamin D3 daily. Been averaging 1/2 lb a day. Having an occasional cheat day doesn't seem to affect my weight loss. Down 35 lbs so far. My body has gotten used to it, and it doesn't seem like a chore anymore.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 09/06/22.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by renegade50

This isn't true.

The brain is very efficient at burning ketones.

It takes some a second to convert over to using it efficiently as a fuel, thus the fog and irritability, but most report a heightened sense of mental clarity and focus once in full ketosis (> 2 mmol). Such effects are easily observed in multi-day fasts.

It is very natural that our brain has evolved with a starvation mode, our ancestors spent most of their lives in starvation ketosis.

Also, the keto diet gained medicinal fame in patients with epilepsy, because it diminished seizure activity. The navy has used it extensively for deep divers, who are prone to seizures post rapid rise.
I have read both sides of the alternating state of it and the long term permanent state of it.

The long term effects of the keto diet beyond the initial phase of the body being flushed of nutrients are damaging.
Levels and balances need to be maintained at levels above and below a center line.
Going below or above levels to the extremes is not good.
Keto dieting is damaging long term.
It becomes almost cult like with the person having to be in ketosis because it has become their new norm with their behavioral changes and the shift into what the body is forced to accept for fuel not what the body needs for fuel.
It is akin to we used to run on 87 gasoline now we have to accept flex fuel

Yes our ancestors long ago lived on the border line of ketosis.
But they didnt drive themselves fully into it in a damaging state long term purposefully. Because they became hunter gathers with a varied diet to offset a permanent state of long term ketosis.
Evolution basically of the bodies systems.
Basing the Keto analogy of the modern human system to that of humans of 10s of thousands of years ago is a justification used which is not applicable.
It's nice to use as a dismissive alibi but that is about it.

And what you describe basically is a bouncing state back and forth of ketosis, not permanent long term ketosis like some people plunge themselves into.
The fasting state and temporary use of it for a purpose is beneficial in many ways, but while doing this people return to the norm they did prior.
These types never stay in permanent ketosis long term for 6 months to years on end.

Off course everyone can read research on both sides different and see what they want to see themselves for what they are looking for.

Me..
Damaging effect of it.

Others
Positive effects of it.

Last edited by renegade50; 09/06/22.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (160user, 12344mag, 2UP, 22kHornet, 44mc, 35, 15 invisible), 1,605 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,439
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.