-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just look at the northern and southern civilizations - big fruit and vegetable eaters. Africa is chocked full of vegetarians. Not.

Extreme anything is bad. But being overweight/obese kills far more folks each year than someone on a long term keto diet. The hype doesn't match reality.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by renegade50
Research about the simple sugars and nutrients from fruits your brain needs.
Eat them while on a keto diet no matter what others via urban legend say.
Lots of studies on this related to keto and brain sugars and other nutrients it needs .
Forcing your body into ketosis via diet is really not a natrual thing.
In Ketosis the body will seek the nutrients it needs, some of these are stored in the brain, others in fat thruout the body and in organs.
Once those internal reserves are being tapped and being exhausted is when brain issues start.

Seen people go bonkers while on keto because their brain is starving for simple natrual sugars to run right

Not talking outta my azz on this, the research concerning keto and the brain basically starving for fuel is out their.

People dont like to be told this.
Rene, I disagree that this is not a natural diet. Before modern mass produced food, hunter gatherers basically ate meat, fish, eggs, bugs, greens, berries, mushrooms, nuts etc. Was there any fruit? Yes, but it was significantly less available, was seasonal, and the fruit they found was much higher in fiber and much lower in sugars. That basically a paleo or modified keto diet.

As far as the brain needing sugar, as another has said, ketones can be burned but it isn't the preferred energy. But carbs can be made in a controlled slower process by the body in keto. It's called gluconeogenesis, or the conversion of excess protein into glucose. And in keto, you're eating plenty of protein so any you don't use can be converted for the limited needs.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I could live on vienna sausages if I had to

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Renegade50 is eluding to mrs slumlord

She did keto for about 3 years. Was a borderline psych case (still is). Now she just chews up 1/2 a box of Vivarin daily. Pinging like Ricochet Rabbit.

Like 18,000-20,000 steps on fit bit, rides stationary bike 30 mins. Marches in place while washing dishes or waiting on me to tie my shoes. JFC

she aint keto no more. Still psycho tho.
Went to mexico got her gut stapled. Only eats about a ping pong ball of food.

Cheap date

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Lots of studies on this related to keto and brain sugars and other nutrients it needs .
In Ketosis the body will seek the nutrients it needs, some of these are stored in the brain, others in fat thruout the body and in organs.
Once those internal reserves are being tapped and being exhausted is when brain issues start.

Seen people go bonkers while on keto because their brain is starving for simple natrual sugars to run right

Not talking outta my azz on this, the research concerning keto and the brain basically starving for fuel is out their.

This isn't true.

The brain is very efficient at burning ketones.

It takes some a second to convert over to using it efficiently as a fuel, thus the fog and irritability, but most report a heightened sense of mental clarity and focus once in full ketosis (> 2 mmol). Such effects are easily observed in multi-day fasts.

It is very natural that our brain has evolved with a starvation mode, our ancestors spent most of their lives in starvation ketosis.

Also, the keto diet gained medicinal fame in patients with epilepsy, because it diminished seizure activity. The navy has used it extensively for deep divers, who are prone to seizures post rapid rise.
I have read both sides of the alternating state of it and the long term permanent state of it.

The long term effects of the keto diet beyond the initial phase of the body being flushed of nutrients are damaging.
Levels and balances need to be maintained at levels above and below a center line.
Going below or above levels to the extremes is not good.
Keto dieting is damaging long term.
It becomes almost cult like with the person having to be in ketosis because it has become their new norm with their behavioral changes and the shift into what the body is forced to accept for fuel not what the body needs for fuel.
It is akin to we used to run on 87 gasoline now we have to accept flex fuel

Yes our ancestors long ago lived on the border line of ketosis.
But they didnt drive themselves fully into it in a damaging state long term purposefully. Because they became hunter gathers with a varied diet to offset a permanent state of long term ketosis.
Evolution basically of the bodies systems.
Basing the Keto analogy of the modern human system to that of humans of 10s of thousands of years ago is a justification used which is not applicable.
It's nice to use as a dismissive alibi but that is about it.

And what you describe basically is a bouncing state back and forth of ketosis, not permanent long term ketosis like some people plunge themselves into.
The fasting state and temporary use of it for a purpose is beneficial in many ways, but while doing this people return to the norm they did prior.
These types never stay in permanent ketosis long term for 6 months to years on end.

Off course everyone can read research on both sides different and see what they want to see themselves for what they are looking for.

Me..
Damaging effect of it.

Others
Positive effects of it.

Dang bruh.

and someone thinks you're unintelligent and use EMOJIS to cover for your lack of smarts.

Good post.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Read undaunted Courage about the Lewis and Clark expedition.

They subsisted on wild game( protein). some fish toward end of journey and occasional berries( very low carbs) for months. They carried 60 to over 100 lbs every day through grueling terrain averaging if I remember 15 to 30 miles a day., pulled heavy boats up stream etc . They were in ketosis I imagine the entire time. Interesting none suffered any serious health problems and were able to push on every day for months and months. They complained of lack of variety in their diets

thought this was interesting. One thing is certain Americans depend upon low nutrient high carb processed foods and dont move enough.

Ive done the keto a few times in life including carnivore and I felt pretty good once pushed out of the keto headaches and body adapted and increased electrolytes. Aches and pains in body noticeably reduced. It is tough to stay more than 6 months

Intermittent fasting now with paleo type has been helpful too. I notice that I feel pretty good if I get some organ meats in my diet

Last edited by ribka; 09/06/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Renegade50 is eluding to mrs slumlord

She did keto for about 3 years. Was a borderline psych case (still is). Now she just chews up 1/2 a box of Vivarin daily. Pinging like Ricochet Rabbit.

Like 18,000-20,000 steps on fit bit, rides stationary bike 30 mins. Marches in place while washing dishes or waiting on me to tie my shoes. JFC

she aint keto no more. Still psycho tho.
Went to mexico got her gut stapled. Only eats about a ping pong ball of food.

Cheap date
Good thing I swallowed my slug of coffee before reading that.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

This isn't true.

It takes some a second to convert over to using it efficiently as a fuel, thus the fog and irritability, but most report a heightened sense of mental clarity and focus once in full ketosis (> 2 mmol). Such effects are easily observed in multi-day fasts.

It is very natural that our brain has evolved with a starvation mode, our ancestors spent most of their lives in starvation ketosis.

Also, the keto diet gained medicinal fame in patients with epilepsy, because it diminished seizure activity. The navy has used it extensively for deep divers, who are prone to seizures post rapid rise.
I have read both sides of the alternating state of it and the long term permanent state of it.

The long term effects of the keto diet beyond the initial phase of the body being flushed of nutrients are damaging.
Levels and balances need to be maintained at levels above and below a center line.
It becomes almost cult like with the person having to be in ketosis because it has become their new norm with their behavioral changes and the shift into what the body is forced to accept for fuel not what the body needs for fuel.

But they didnt drive themselves fully into it in a damaging state long term purposefully. Because they became hunter gathers with a varied diet to offset a permanent state of long term ketosis.
Basing the Keto analogy of the modern human system to that of humans of 10s of thousands of years ago is a justification used which is not applicable.

And what you describe basically is a bouncing state back and forth of ketosis, not permanent long term ketosis like some people plunge themselves into.
The fasting state and temporary use of it for a purpose is beneficial in many ways, but while doing this people return to the norm they did prior.
These types never stay in permanent ketosis long term for 6 months to years on end.

Off course everyone can read research on both sides different and see what they want to see themselves for what they are looking for.

Me..
Damaging effect of it.

Others
Positive effects of it.

I've never heard anything negative about Keto but would like to learn more. Do you have any links or info you could share? A list of the good fruits would be much appreciated too. FWIW, I've been listening to the "Whole 30" on Audible and that's been very helpful and more in alignment with what you're proposing than a straight Keto diet.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ribka
Read undaunted Courage about the Lewis and Clark expedition.

They subsisted on wild game( protein). some fish toward end of journey and occasional berries( very low carbs) for months. They carried 60 to 100 lbs every day through grueling terrain averaging if I remember 15 to 30 miles a day., pulled heavy boats up stream etc . They were in ketosis I imagine the entire time. Interesting none suffered any serious health problems and were able to push on every day for months and months

thought this was interesting. One thing is certain American depend upon low nutrient high carb processed foods and dont move enough.

Ive done the keto a few times in life including carnivore and I felt pretty good once pushed out of the keto headaches and body adapted and increased electrolytes. Aches and pains in body noticeably reduced

Intermittent fasting now with paleo type has been helpful too. I notice that I feel pretty good if I get some organ meats in my diet

Was thinking about not commenting about what "hunter/gatherers" ate compared to what many of these "paleo" or keto type diets are.

Was going to ask how many folks doing this keto/paleo thing ate brains, liver, kidney, eyeballs, "sweetbreads", and guts. Yep, guts. Our ancestors got a lot of nutrition from organs and guts.

And yes, the Corps of Discovery subsisted on mainly game for long periods of time. Seems they took advantage of whatever the natives would provide/trade for too. Like camas on the west side of the Divide. I bet them fellas grabbed every berry they passed along the way, maybe wild plum if they were ripe, basically whatever food they could find. Odds are a lot of that kind of thing wasn't recorded.

I wonder how many of these folks know that certain hunter gatherers also had semi regular sources of carbs available for their use? Roots and tubers were one of the many thing the women would bring home for "dinner". Even the Apaches had corn gardens and also used acorns when in season and if there was an abundance they were stored for later use.

Many (most?) of the primitive societies also faced famine and starvation during the course of any generation, and made up for it by feasting on large quantities of food when it became available. Whether that was meat in the form of a very large critter or an abundance of plant foods such as seeds and fruit. I'll use the Apaches as an example again, because I lived in their territory and learned a bit while there. They have a month on their "calendar" called something along the lines of "Month when the girls lips are red" which is a reference to the time when the prickly pears are ripe and they were put to good use.

I'm certainly not going to argue about the "low nutrient" processed food thing. I just had my morning handful of chocolate chips. I'm addicted to chocolate and freely admit it. Mostly the wife and I eat home cooked, minimally processed foods we cook ourselves. Make our own bread, granted there's some white flour in there but we use a lot of whole wheat, rye, buckwheat, and oats in our loaves too. Wife likes to bake, so once a week or so we get some sort of goodies. Not gonna lie, I'm good at storing extra energy, maybe a bit too good. But, I work at keeping it manageable.

Your mention of organ meat reminds me, when I get back from my little vacation that's coming up tomorrow, I need to fix some liver and onion (good bit of sugars in those).

Time to get to work prepping for the long drive. Wish I had made some jerky for the trip. I've got some mango I dried and will have to make do with commercial jerky with sugar on it. I make mine without, just salt and spices.

In it is contentment

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Originally Posted by SCRooster
Stay with it ... and try fasting some too. Download fasting tracker. It really helped me.
I'm doing keto omad. Basically, I eat a keto lunch and then it's 23 hours until the next meal. Running about a 50% calorie deficit and 10-15 grams of carbs. I'm actually not hungry. The challenge is detox and psychological.

Try the intermittent Keto diet where you eat at 8 and 16 hour intervals. It's much easier. If you run a calorie deficit your metabolism will slow down and you'll have no energy. Instead of counting calories and carbs just eat the right stuff and the fat will painlessly melt away.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

This isn't true.

Me..
Damaging effect of it.

Others
Positive effects of it.

OK. You and I aren't going to agree on this.

I know there's a lot of bad diet info out there and my guess is that 90% of people who say they are in keto, probably aren't or at least are in low level ketosis.

Cycling between significant ketosis (2-3 mmol) and non ketosis is harmful. You are forcing metabolic systems to switch fuel and the side effects of that on kidney, liver and lipid metabolism are drastic.

I know several who have been in strict ketosis for decades and have reviewed their labs. They are healthier than 99.9% of Americans and one is 73 years old.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
It is very difficult from what I have read to get into full ketosis. Tons of discipline that's why some choose the carnivore version diet with organ meat a few times a week. I was on it for 3 months and felt great after the first two weeks. Most noticeable was lack of inflammation, skin tone, general mood, sleep

Even some green veggies can knock one out in the beginning. It is very interesting to delve into results

Last edited by ribka; 09/06/22.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
thanks for input

This isn't true.

Me..
Damaging effect of it.

Others
Positive effects of it.

OK. You and I aren't going to agree on this.

I know there's a lot of bad diet info out there and my guess is that 90% of people who say they are in keto, probably aren't or at least are in low level ketosis.

Cycling between significant ketosis (2-3 mmol) and non ketosis is harmful. You are forcing metabolic systems to switch fuel and the side effects of that on kidney, liver and lipid metabolism are drastic.

I know several who have been in strict ketosis for decades and have reviewed their labs. They are healthier than 99.9% of Americans and one is 73 years old.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been on a half-assed kinda-sorta keto-like diet since December. No bread or taters, very limited rice and pasta, and only just recently. Feel great, down 40+ pounds, depending on the day. No side effects. Easy peasy.

If not for all the home-grown fruit I’ve been eating, I’d doubtless be down even more. Only about six peaches left, so I’ll be back in the saddle again soon.

Dr. Sten Ekberg on YouTube disagrees with renegade50 on the evils of keto, FWIW. He ‘splains it pretty well in his videos, and ain’t selling anything. He also talks about the fruitarian, carnivore, and other stuff being pushed, and the evils of processed food we eat. Watch some and decide for yourself. He also points out that everyone is different, so what works well for me might not for you.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If Happy Camper was here we could get the pure, true Dr Mercola break down.

Complete with copy/paste internet grabs to make himself believable and credible.

His dissertation on brass keys sticking to human foreheads after a flu shot was so enlightening and believable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
If Happy Camper was here we could get the pure, true Dr Mercola break down.

Complete with copy/paste internet grabs to make himself believable and credible.

His dissertation on brass keys sticking to human foreheads after a flu shot was so enlightening and believable.
Dude,

is that what happened to that guy I see on the commercials during the program my wife watches? Some sort of unexplained event schiedt. (we always have it muted so I don't know what it is). Some guy standing there with all the silverware in the drawer stuck all over him.

Reminder to self.....................no more flu shots!

In it is contentment

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Here is a breakdown:

Want to lose weight fast without counting calories for some short term goal?

Keto

Want to gain weight fast and feel like a loser?

Get off Keto and eat everything x10 you wanted when on keto

Glad I could help.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
Here is a breakdown:

Want to lose weight fast without counting calories for some short term goal?

Keto

Want to gain weight fast and feel like a loser?

Get off Keto and eat everything x10 you wanted when on keto

Glad I could help.

Like a bear coming out of hibernation and getting ready for the next one.

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve been knocking out a box of girl scout cookies every day. That and a 1/2 pound of raw hamburger meat. Sprinkled with msg and soul food seasoning.

Wash it down with Busch beer.

Eat onc’t a day

Sweet tea for hydration to keep the fire burning

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Been on Keto for over 6 months now.

Loss 35 pounds, loss the pain from my joints, mental acuity is better, 59 years old, BP went from 145/90 to 120/78, no longer taking anti-reflux meds, no longer pre-diabetic, feel much better overall.

I eat twice a day. I eat a lot in those two sittings. I do not eat between meals and never buy any keto crap that big food sells. Simple one ingredient food is the best. Everyday I eat a few blackberries, blueberries, and pecans. Beyond that it is limited leafy greens and plenty of fatty meats, butter, eggs, certain cheeses.

It is no longer a diet, it is just the way I eat now.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,104
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.