Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Gents:

As a diesel owner never thought I'd start a bicycle thread on the fire but here goes.

I'm on a major weight reduction/get fit regimen which is actually working so far. Working to ramp up the cardio portion and like the idea of not pounding my body with running and such every day. Swimming is out because of the distance needed just to get to a pool. So bicycle is a logical choice.

I have a 1990-something 10 speed mountain bike which IMO is good enuf for the task, and have been gradually improving it with things like some PB blaster on the gears and a ring/bell thingie on the handlebars. I have started riding it occasionally to get into shape.

The problem is the durn seat, its OEM 1990-something and uncomfortable as h*ll. It also has a tear in the fabric. These are two clues that it needs to be replaced. This is also the opportunity for an upgrade. Just the seat part, not a whole new bicycle.

I'm just an average build guy with a little too much gut that needs to go.

Question for the knowledgeable: is there some seat (or seat design) out there that is more comfortable than the others without breaking the bank? Seems like so many choices out there.

Thanks in advance!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ordering up a case of jiffy-pop...........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If your gonna really ride a bike, the seat is gonna hurt your ass. The more seat you got, the more ass that hurts. A tear won't work.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I’d go to a good bike shop and tell them what you are doing. Good bike seat fit can be like buying a pair of shoes that fit just right. Also, you may want to get a pair of biking shorts to wear underneath your shorts. The padding may be enough to make your present seat work.

I do a lot of mountain biking. When I first started I didn’t need any extra padding but was going for shorter rides. As my conditioning has improved I’m riding longer and more aggressively. The bike chamois makes all the difference. The two pair that I alter have different thickness in padding. I’m finding that the extra bulk of the thicker ones isn’t necessarily more comfortable.

Good luck with your fitness!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
. . . . have been gradually improving it with things like some PB blaster on the gears and a ring/bell thingie on the handlebars.

I hope you put some tassels on it also. wink

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Paging Birdie !
Paging Paul Barnard !

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WTB Pure, probably a large. Get some riding shorts - yes the spandex with a pad in the bottom. Put a pair of regular shorts over the top and no one will know. Ride ~10 minutes for a few days then work your way up. You have to get your butt in shape as well as the rest of you. Good on you for doing it.
https://www.wtb.com/products/pure

Also be sure to get the height and angle right. Fit can make a world of difference. Most modern seat posts are easy to adjust and there are a million and one videos on youtube.

Last edited by centershot; 09/07/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Bike store is your huckleberry.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to race, and have ridden mtb's since the eighties (get over it Gruff grin) and have found the best seat for me is a leather Brooks saddle, made in the UK. Everyone has to go through the break in period before things get better and the Brooks B17 took the least amount of time for me. Everyones' butt is different and unfortunately the bike industry takes advantage of this and makes big bucks off of people going through multiple saddles before they find something that might work. The Brooks has no padding for good reason, the leather forms to your crotch and being suspended, does a better job than all the others I've tried. If you're gonna commit to riding bikes for the duration for your health its worth it to spend the $ on a good saddle.

You may be different but I've found the Brooks is the only saddle I can ride on without riding shorts(padded crotch) for any length of time.

https://bikexchange.com/brooks-saddles-review/

Last edited by SBTCO; 09/07/22.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've have a Brooks saddle since 1975. Been on and off of a bunch of bikes.

It does take some getting used to.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Old Toot's bike:

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't know about the saddles, but I will second on the bike shorts if you actually ride. Takes longer to go numb, anyway. Get some good riding shorts, hide the Spandex with something civilized.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is no bicycle seat panacea. We are all built differently. I tried a lot of different styles before I settled on the ones I am using now. Some seats that received high praise left me with bruises on my sit bones after a 20 mile ride. Padded shorts make a huge difference...huge. You can always wear shorts over spandex shorts if you want to.

This is what I have settled on. It won't hot link, so copy and paste. https://www.ebay.com/itm/144637095311?hash=item21ad0aed8f:g:~P4AAOSwIFFixjFS&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4MGQmGW7mECYjwLbn%2FuOR3%2BD050xvjm7N1WvMxN0WK34l3cPkxnO4MlXWgYdpFB5noOH5Ps6%2BvveNI8jFCNiYpugnAhPjJulPR7BCPQ6QPqCNi6qf%2Fi9D8KMiRCbHxVF0JUQTK3DSv2H%2By0mIVHR%2F7Kto5RwiOMdgvk8%2FCMBarxvDDJ4oLBYm0FXwXUimIsAViF3YELnqayx1vm6zbl7IgIxkj7Gvix0rfQSAs9QHDPEGmUPuh6FiroShIaiy3IcfgkS5EXmIow9GkEnZrNAnuufza8c6q4Lboq9nEKJBokN%7Ctkp%3ABFBMxPSvn-Ng

Bicycling is a great way to burn calories. Very easy on the joints.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 09/07/22.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I cycle 4x per week. Go to Walmart and get a gel seat cover to stretch over your current seat.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too much padding can actually be worse than not enough. You will end up with pressure from the foam in places that you don't want pressure and end up numb.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Gents:

OK got a new seat ordered, thanks for your recommendations.

As to the "Padded Shorts" any preferences? My existing inventory is zero, other than boxers, briefs and clearance shorts at wally world.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Try to get ones without the vent holes perforated in the foam pad. If your riding more than an hour the ridges around those holes create little hardpoints.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Gents:

OK got a new seat ordered, thanks for your recommendations.

As to the "Padded Shorts" any preferences? My existing inventory is zero, other than boxers, briefs and clearance shorts at wally world.

Hands down the best shorts made, and made right here in the USA.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/ride-with-pride-rainbow-shorts.html

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

134 members (3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, Alan_C, Alex38, 16 invisible), 2,008 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,891
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.