Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I haven't owned a motorcycle in 30+ years but have been kicking around the idea of picking one up this fall/winter if the price was right. I know most folks have gone to bikes with saddle bags and ferrings/windshileds but a plain Harley Davidson Fatboy really stands out to me in the style department (looking at the 2021 model) or possibly a new Road King. Anyone own one and what do you think??

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Glad to hear you're not going full dresser. They're only ridden by hillbillies, blacks and old men. They're like the conversion vans of the motorcycle world.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Road king all the way

N
N
The fat boy and road king are very different bikes. Definitely go with the road king. If you like the style check out the street glide. Love mine.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Road King 100%

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Having a windshield/fairing and storage are great if you are actually riding regularly. Sooner or later, you have to carry stuff! Shorter distances/fun rides, the nekkid bike is ok. Depends on what you do with it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Road King

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
A Corvette convertible it will get you more wenches and be a whole lot safer. You been out of bikes for 30 years, on the road things have changed and not for safer driving. WTF you watch a rerun of Easy Rider or then came Bronson or something ?.. mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Road King if you’re planning for on any rides over a couple hundred miles. Much easier on the rear end. Ride like you’re invisible my friend. Because to all the people texting and putting on make up, you are!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Road king, outside shocks if you’re going to put a lot of miles on a day. Softtail’s are for guys that trailer their scheit to Florida.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
A Corvette convertible it will get you more wenches and be a whole lot safer. You been out of bikes for 30 years, on the road things have changed and not for safer driving. WTF you watch a rerun of Easy Rider or then came Bronson or something ?.. mb

This^ or a classic muscle car. You will use it more too! It will keep its value and be safer. Watch some counting cars episodes.

And yes I owned numerous bikes including a Harley.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I haven't owned a motorcycle in 30+ years but have been kicking around the idea of picking one up this fall/winter if the price was right. I know most folks have gone to bikes with saddle bags and ferrings/windshileds but a plain Harley Davidson Fatboy really stands out to me in the style department (looking at the 2021 model) or possibly a new Road King. Anyone own one and what do you think??

How is your general fitness and upper body strength? Motorcycles have to be pushed, pulled, paddled backwards out of or in to parking spots and once in a while picked back up when they fall over.

Big Twins are hefty, the Road King north of 800lbs.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
Glad to hear you're not going full dresser. They're only ridden by hillbillies, blacks and old men. They're like the conversion vans of the motorcycle world.
LMAO.. You have NO clue... But - that's your unbiased opinion... laugh laugh

Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Road King if you’re planning for on any rides over a couple hundred miles. Much easier on the rear end. Ride like you’re invisible my friend. Because to all the people texting and putting on make up, you are!

Ron
That.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I just sold my Road King over the weekend.

I loved riding it once it was out and on the road, but I never found time (or priority) to ride it.

Having a 400cc scooter didn't help

Last edited by KFWA; 09/08/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Road King for sure..

Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
Not much argument here. Road King for sure. A couple hours on a Softtail would tell you all you wanted to know.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don’t forget the ape hangers!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Ride both and make your own decision.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Road King sucks.
Go for the FatBoy.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've had a Fatboy since buying it new in 2009. I've also ridden Road Kings a few times, including renting one for a week.

Fatboy: Lower center of gravity, lighter (very relative in a HD!), easier to manage around town/parking/slow maneuvers. I think the fatter tires handle broken pavement, RR track crossing, expanded steel decked bridges, etc a little better. Very classic/old school styling up until about 2018(?), don't like front end styling on newest version. Not a great bike to put saddlebags on - dual stacked exhaust on right side means you have to use stubby little bags, I don't have them. With a passenger seat back and luggage rack I can carry a fair amount of soft luggage. I do take 2 to 7 day trips occasionally, but not the best choice if you're thinking long distance. Windshield is an option - I actually like it better without a windshield unless planning to be on highway/interstate. The original saddle on mine was pretty hard, ended up replacing with a Mustang saddle. My 2009 has the 96ci Twin Cam and 6 speed transmission, plenty of power/torque. Handles hills and highway speeds with no issues. Never had it over 85mph, but wasn't out of throttle at that speed.

Road King: Another very classic style, but definitely more biased towards a highway cruiser. Good saddlebags, and lockable. Easy to add additional baggage with a tour-pack or luggage rack. Either way, handles luggage better than the Fatboy. Probably more comfortable if you're putting in a lot of miles (but personal preferences vary). Higher center of gravity - noticeable to me when standing bike up to start and during very slow maneuvering, not any big deal when moving at speed.

No regrets buying the Fatboy. I was in a similar situation as you, hadn't ridden a motorcycle since the 70s, never actually had a MC license. Took the New Riders Course at an HD dealer, got my MC endorsement, was able to test ride a few bikes. Dealer didn't want much test mileage on new bikes, but let me take out used bikes as much as I wanted to. The Fatboy felt right at the time, I'd never ridden bikes that heavy before and the Fatboy felt much more manageable. It's still a good bike. It's sweet spot is really local and short trips, especially cruising rural roads at 40 - 65 mph. And yes, I've ridden my Fatboy from VA to FL in March for Bike Week.

All that said, if I was buying another bike today it would be a Road King or Street Glide.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,830
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.