-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are just going to go to Hooter's for wings with the boys on a Wednesday than a Fat Boy all.
If you and mama are going to hit the road for a weekend trip.........any FLH frame is a better ride.

It's amazing to me how nimble those big bikes can be. That said, when in turns rubber up, you will need help to get it back on the stand.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Road King

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sold my Road King last year as I got 100 less than I paid for it new 3 years prior on trade on my 2021 Road Glide.

Sold my Road Glide last week (currently bikeless) as it went for 4k more than I bought it for brand new.

Owned a Dyna Fat Bob before the Road King.

Road King all day - don't look back, not even a consideration. Pull the windshield off (easy to do) for a stripped down bar hopper with space to pack a spare hoodie for the ride home. Windshield on, cruise control set for hitting long trips on the highway. IMO - Road King does everything the FatBoy does and can do more, easier. Why not have the capability?

Pan America intrigues me as the next bike but unlikely. Next one is probably a Road Glide CVO which isn't really what someone who's looking at the RK/FB would be cross shopping anyway.

Me

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I ride a 97 Soft Tail- - - - -EVO engine, Vance & Hines longshot pipes (with baffles), 87K miles, and just as reliable as the day it rolled off the assembly line. It's tricked out with a medium sized windshield, 16" spoke wheel up front, Road King front fender, a tombstone tail light, and a set of 100th. anniversary hard leather saddlebags, the small ones that don't scream "Bagger!" to the whole world. The nice part is that it's paid for. The local Harley dealer had it parked in the back room because none of the man bun crowd wanted a 20 year old high mileage bike, and I didn't have to borrow a huge pile of cash- - - -just write a check and ride it home!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’ve had a couple Heritage softail’s, superglides and electroglides and the Fatboy is better in my opinion. If you plan on long trips the road king might be better because of storage and the fairing. Hard to beat the big soft tails for a do it all bike.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
if you ask this question to ten people you will most likely be told what they are currently riding...
only you can answer that question ..go to a dealer and set on both of them and see how they fit you ...test ride if you can
a windshield and bags are never a wrong decision

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will say - the Road Glide completely out classed the Road King for highway comfort. IMO and JMO - it's the best damned highway bike HD makes. BUT - it's quite the step up in price from the Road King. Road King is still the cheapest way I know how to get into the touring frame/class of bikes from HD.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Middle age crazy…..

Black Cows Matter!
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
About the only diff between the Road King & Electraglide Standard is the RK's lexan winsdshield(which I personally hate) & the EG's small fiberglass fairing that is much more effective IMO. Although it does cost a few feet of forward visibility.

If not wanting a front screen, the Fat Boy is a a lot sportier & over a 100 pounds lighter, therefore quicker. Easier to maneuver IMO as well. RK will likely ride better, & the bags can be handy if you need them.

FWIW, I ride an older FB & if I were to change I'd jump over the RK & go EG Standard or Streetglide. But slapping some bags on the FB would negate the need to change bikes.

Then OTOH... if one looks way better to your eye than the other, then specs & practicality go out the window. Get what YOU like best.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I’m getting better than 50MPG out of my old Fat Boy. That alone makes me smile.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I’m getting better than 50MPG out of my old Fat Boy. That alone makes me smile.

My Dyna - I got 44-47 mpg and that was a 103 Twin Cam
My Road King - I got 44-47 and that was a 107 M8 (got into the 50's a couple times but mid 40's was average)
My Road Glide - I got 43-47 and that was a 114 M8 (once at 50 - one tank)

My father just picked up a CHEAP Soft tail - he gets, 44 mpg to 47 ant that is an 80 in Evo

Crazy consistent

Me

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
A well tuned Evo will get near 55 mpg everytime on the highway. Shy of big momma & a 100 pounds of junk in the boxes.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gunzo
A well tuned Evo will get near 55 mpg everytime on the highway. Shy of big momma & a 100 pounds of junk in the boxes.
I think Harley missed the mark on advertising through the years. You can arrive in style while still being thrifty and eco friendly. On second thought, that might not be the clientele they’re aiming for.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I love the fat boy, but if you plan on riding it longer than 30-40 miles at a stretch, you'll like the RK better.
I have a Heritage as a compromise bike, but will definitely upgrade to a RK or other bagger in the near future

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I’ve owned 5 over 40 years and had to sell my last one 2 yrs ago after a 3 level fusion. My Road King was by far my most comfortable. Even more so than my Street Glide Special which was my last one.

Home Of The Mollies
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1973 Norton 550.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nebraska
...most folks have gone to bikes with saddle bags and ferrings/windshileds...

Because you actually need the windshield and bags on virtually every ride.

If you're only going to go to the local hangout and park the bike where you can sit and watch it, get the Fatboy.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
I love the fat boy, but if you plan on riding it longer than 30-40 miles at a stretch, you'll like the RK better.

This ^^^^

I love the FB too, & it's good for a lot more than 40 miles a trip, if only easily, but the RK is an all day ride & handles better as well.

I have a RK & a Super Glide, one for around town & short rides, the other for serious travel.

Plenty of good, low mileage, used bikes available right now of all flavors.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Nebraska
...most folks have gone to bikes with saddle bags and ferrings/windshileds...

Because you actually need the windshield and bags on virtually every ride.
Especially when/if yer goin' on a long ride across country..
If you're only going to go to the local hangout and park the bike where you can sit and watch it, get the Fatboy.
That...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.