Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I'm trying to sell a couple pair of binos at the moment and I am going to go back to 12x50's.....yes I tripod mount all my binos for glassing. I also have a 65mm spotter I bring when needed. I've searched the forum and my search fu came up with little....

It seems like the 12's are getting a little more scarce from manufacturers. I would love to get swaro's but not going to happen. Looking to stay around $800 or less. The contenders I have been looking at are:

Leupold BX 4 pro guide HD 12x50 : Selling the 10x42 version of this and the glass is excellent. Also recommended by the guys at Outdoorsmans.

Tract Toric 12.5x50 - seems well built, no complaints online except maybe IPD, supposed to compete at a higher price range.

Maven C.3 - on the lower end of their line, don't know much about this level. People seem to like Maven in general a bunch.

Athlon Midas G2 UHD 12x50 - again a lower budget bino that people say competes at a much higher level.

Burris signature HD 12x50 - can't seem to find much on these at all. Generally not much inventory available, but can be found.

Vortex Viper HD 12x50 - mixed reviews on these. So 50/50 good bad.

Any that I am missing? I have also been keeping an eye on the classifieds of a couple forums for used. Any I should look for?

Thoughts on which one to pick? Or experiences with any?

Last edited by StoneCold; 09/06/22.

"You only know one thing for sure about a broken down old man........He's the survivor...."

Incoming rounds have the right of way.....
GB1

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I would add used Meopta to your list.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like my tract toric 12.5x50. Very nice optics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for Tract. IMHO they are outstanding.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Good to hear some endorsements on Tract. Looks like I missed the labor day sale. That happens....lol.....

"You only know one thing for sure about a broken down old man........He's the survivor...."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
I would add used Meopta to your list.

This.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Another vote for Tract. IMHO they are outstanding.

They definitely are outstanding

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Meoptas if you can’t afford Swarovskis.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have the Tract 12.5, ran them against my Leica 10x50 ultravid on my antelope hunt, Leica won out decidingly. There was no reason to pack both and a tripod, which I did one day. Antelope and elk are easy to see, lightning bolts, no need for my 15s.

Real test would be the tract against the 15s on a coues hunt, coues are anything but lightning bolts.

The Tracts are fine in the mid priced binos, ok but not outstanding. Fine for the grandkids to learn on and loaners but wouldn't be my primary bigeyes over a used set of Docter or Steiner 15s.

Just because the Swaro 12x50 ELs are great doesn't mean other lesser 12s are better than a good set of 10s or 15s, most aren't

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take a look at the GPO Passion HD 12.5x50. If you'd like one we will honor the Labor Day Sale price of $1,147.49
It is an amazing optic

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Swaro 12 EL. You’ll end up there eventually anyway. 😁

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by aheider

Yep, buy once cry once. 😬

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I've had some ultravids in the past, both the 8-12 x 42 and an 8x32. I personally didn't like them. I think it was the yellow tint they seemed to give to everything. I really didn't find them to be "all that" in picture quality either. Partly why I know optics are personal choices.

I don't want to lug 10's and 15's....I have used 8x, 10x, 12x, and some 16's in the past. All tripod mounted as well. I can handhold the 12's well enough, and they give me just that little bit I am always looking for. I still have an old pair of nikon 12x42's which have seen better days. I just want a solid 12x50 to go along with my spotter. I really don't consider 12's as big eyes either...they start at 15 and 18x imho.

Thank you Doug. A bit out of my reach at the moment I think. Unless maybe I ask for Christmas in September!

If my binos would sell in the classifieds I'd be closer to the buy too.....lol...

SC

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by aheider

This is my judgement….and I own both the Tracts and the 12xEL. For the record, I am a huge Tract fan owning multiple scopes and binos.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
If you didn't like the ultravids you'll like the tract even less image quality wise, add 12.5x vs 10 and the image is just bigger and fuzzy, comparative. I glassed an antelope buck at 4 miles with the Leica, I knew exactly where he was at by a trick tank and ON X hunt line measured, watched a red truck on the other side another half mile drive slowly through and they never saw him.

Anyway, 12s are a tweener and until Swaro came out with the EL and Pure, not a consideration with serious glassers. Now manufacturers all market a 12x based on the Swaros innovation and success but these don't really do anything more than the 12s ever did in the lower end market. Look at the vortex 12x razors, everyone had to have them at half the price of the Swaros... then everyone I know that bought them sold them.

Big eyes started right here with us old coues hunters and is still ground zero on technique and equipment testing, it's a lot more and even can be less than 15x binos, or binos themselves.

Most manufacturers can't get a 12x with a 50 or 42 objective to work like Swaro can. 10x they can do better... same with a 32 objective, 10x isn't really good but 8x is.

Since you asked for advise here is the best you will receive... at 800 bucks forget the 12x and go with the best 10x with an objective 50 or bigger, not 42, and you will glass more animals.

Kent

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by krp
If you didn't like the ultravids you'll like the tract even less image quality wise, add 12.5x vs 10 and the image is just bigger and fuzzy, comparative. I glassed an antelope buck at 4 miles with the Leica, I knew exactly where he was at by a trick tank and ON X hunt line measured, watched a red truck on the other side another half mile drive slowly through and they never saw him.

Anyway, 12s are a tweener and until Swaro came out with the EL and Pure, not a consideration with serious glassers. Now manufacturers all market a 12x based on the Swaros innovation and success but these don't really do anything more than the 12s ever did in the lower end market. Look at the vortex 12x razors, everyone had to have them at half the price of the Swaros... then everyone I know that bought them sold them.

Big eyes started right here with us old coues hunters and is still ground zero on technique and equipment testing, it's a lot more and even can be less than 15x binos, or binos themselves.

Most manufacturers can't get a 12x with a 50 or 42 objective to work like Swaro can. 10x they can do better... same with a 32 objective, 10x isn't really good but 8x is.

Since you asked for advise here is the best you will receive... at 800 bucks forget the 12x and go with the best 10x with an objective 50 or bigger, not 42, and you will glass more animals.

Kent

I would listen to this man...

There are a few 15's IMHO nipping very close to Swaro 15's....

12's also IMHO do hold at least a niche for glassing on a tripod. I use mine a bit....

But a quality set of 10's stable will trump budget 12's everytime...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I'm a listenin'....

Well krp you hit on one of the things I have wondered. Would just upping the objective to 50mm on a set of 10's be enough?

And since you said it....what 10x50's or better would make your list please? Seriously I'm interested....also any around that $800 mark?

Thanks gents!

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Everyone I know except 1 that has tried the 2 optic 12X, spotting scope combo (including myself) has gone back to 8/10X as chest glass and 12/15X. The one that has stuck with it is using NL’s.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Personally, after using a quality 15x for a few years neither I nor my main hunting partner can go back to anything less for hunting deer/elk or other bigger critters. I keep a few pairs of 10x and a Swaro 8.5x42 around for trapping, bird hunting, chasing hounds and sometimes calling coyotes, but that is about it. They’re (15x) the only glass I usually take and only find them limiting when out of breath or glassing off the back of a horse that won’t stop eating. Using them I have found also packing a spotter is unnecessary in most (though not all) situations I find myself in. Specific legal criteria such as being full curl, 3 brow tines, etc. are an exception to that. If Swaro made a 15x in the NL Pure I’d be all over trying them. I have considered their 12x but haven’t done it yet.

$800 doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzy though I haven’t tried everything that the OP asked about. Amount of use and the conditions would have a bearing on my decision, I guess. I have never hunted coues so maybe that also has a bearing on what I use and prefer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Last edited by Judman; 09/09/22.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 3,015 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,431
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.