Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H322, IMR3031, N133 and Benchmark are all faster on the burn rate chart than 335. All recommended for the 22.250 still, just like 335.
So what is the reason it’s too damn fast on the burn rate chart. You all got me curious but refuse to come in and explain.

Boatanchor= dead weight. You made the statement quantify it.

MD you agreed so if dead weight won’t quantify too fast on burn rate, maybe you will. Doubt it, but maybe.

Swifty
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
H322, IMR3031, N133 and Benchmark are all faster on the burn rate chart than 335. All recommended for the 22.250 still, just like 335.
So what is the reason it’s too damn fast on the burn rate chart. You all got me curious but refuse to come in and explain.

Boatanchor= dead weight. You made the statement quantify it.

MD you agreed so if dead weight won’t quantify too fast on burn rate, maybe you will. Doubt it, but maybe.

I hate to speak for John (MD) but I will...........
both of us have better things to do in life than respond to a Canker Azz that will bloviate in a negative manner no matter the reply but I'll give it a whirl.

I have used H335 for decades but recently try to use anything but. It is erratic because of the extreme temp sensitivity, you can get away with it in 223 much better than the bigger volume of a 22-250. I have always been able to find a better powder for any given application than H335

You mention H322,N133 and Benchmark, I love these powders and use them all in 222- 223's and I use N133 exclusively in my 6PPC's, but they are not my powder's of choice in a 22-250 although listed in many reloading manual's, because I use a chronograph these faster burning powders usually have more of an extreme spread and standard deviation than using slower burning powders and most of the time I get better accuracy with a slower burning powder than using one on the fast side.

Bloviate on Canker Azz

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Arguing on the Internet...

[Linked Image]

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
I use to run into Noveske over at the Range a lot of times....

I had him do a couple of barrels for me, which were Pac Nor Rejects... he use to work over there...

even tho they were Pac Nor rejects, they are the most accurate two rifles I own...

Actually it wasn't an AR....

Noveske got lucky with ARs and the ones he made and some of the things he did, took off for him...
His own personal stuff, he likes heavy for caliber big bores in light carrying rifles...

He use to buy up ALL the Remington 600s he could find...where ever he found them...

He would shorten cases and then put like a 375 bore barrel or 416 bore barrel on it, like 18 inches in length.. sometimes less...

and this is what he used personally for hunting Blacktails...

John was a good guy, but an odd duck...

he's never wear a seat belt, and always drove like a maniac, at high speed....

Sadly that is why he is no longer with us....

Thanks for the story on John Noveske. I remember watching some interviews he did. When I finally decided I was going to buy an AR, the choice was easy. I had to have a Noveske, since it was a local well known company from Oregon. When John passed away, it was a sad day for the enthusiasts.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
yeah sad... I knew him quite well....

Didn't like to wear a seat belt and drive like a wildman... lost control on a curve on the way home, rolled his FJ60 and it slid into a rock...
he was killed instantly. I go by that spot frequently... always say a prayer for Noveske.

he was taken way to young in life.. he was only 36 when that happened.. leaving behind a wife and two young sons....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Seafire
your right BSA, I won't touch H 335, much less use it....too many other good options available...

ya don't want to use it shooting prone...I was out with John Noveske once, when he was still with us....

he was shooting some and it quickly started a small brush fire... we got it put out quickly tho...

He has always said it was the "flashiest powder" made...

That's good to keep in mind. I'm assuming it was an AR? Cool that you were shooting with Noveske.

yeah, John was shooting an AR....I was shooting a Ruger 77 Mk 2.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thing is, you gotta use what you've got or can get and that could severely limit your options. I wouldn't be using 335 or anything in that speed range. Winchester 760 was always good in a 22-250, later 22-250AI. Then the deal became RL-15 and it's been my go to since earky 90's. Exellent accuracy with 50's, going very nicely fast....2700 would also be a good one. The powder in PMC factory 55gr loads was Varget (I tore apart a bunch of it for the brass) and it shot mot great but decently well fireforming to AI I'm sure there are others that work as well, this is what works best in my rifle(s).

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The 55 gr Varmageddons shoot great in my Sako 22-250. My older boy has a factory Rem SPS (schitty plastic stock) that shoots way better than it should with these. Go to powder was H414 but you have to watch it in the summer heat if you are running near max loads. I once blew a coyote almost in half with this bullet in a 220 Swift. I’ve been meaning to try CFE223 in the 22-250 but haven’t had any time to.

Don’t over think this. Work up a load that shoots in your gun. They’re only coyotes; not cape buffalo. Nearly any 55 gr bullet outside a FMJ will end them. I killed lots of em with the 55 gr cup and core bullets of yore.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
probably well known with this crowd, but for those who don't...

H 414, W 760 and 2700 are pretty much the same powder...

don't load to max pressure when you're going to be using them in triple digit temps, or even much heat over 90 degrees...

they will work fine if you are just pulling the trigger once every 10 minutes or so..

NOt recommended for shooting sage rats, where you can pull the trigger 500 times in a good afternoon.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 1badf350, 21, 48 invisible), 2,182 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,696
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.