M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Our church has done some mission trips to Indian reservations over the years. Lots of strange circumstances on those places.

Back in the day, I wired 3 firestations on 3 different reservations.
The state wouldn't them be hooked up without an inspection - and the co-ops weren't going against the state.
I wound up getting the Governors of each reservation to "invite" a state inspector on the rez, with the proviso that ONLY the firestation could be inspected.
Big pizzin' contest, for a while, there.
But, I couldn't get paid - 'til it all worked!

Did they have a restroom? That would mean you wired a head for a reservation (old joke) 🙂
Bad one, Mike.
But, yes they did. smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by SAKO280REM
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by 79S
I spent most of my younger years on the warm springs Indian reservation. Put that place in the rear view mirror July 29th 1998.

White boy growing up on a Rez. That sounds like a hoot of fûck’n fun.

🦫

My mom was half injun making me a 1/4 injun but not enough to brown lol. So growing up on the Rez and white was not fun.. But after a few yrs I was accepted as part of the crew… what’s funny about the Rez especially warm springs they are all about their sovereign nation chit until they have a water issue then all of the sudden they want to be part of the state and it’s now a state problem..

Haha so true. I've worked up there a lot. I've seen outdoor faucets that have been leaking for decades I bet and now cattails are growing next to the house. I guess why fix it when it doesn't cost them anything. Sewer manholes overflowing into creeks also.

Ya, see it all the time water, sewer issues, meth houses boarded up. The houses that are rehabed then boarded up for the next family are tore up faster than they get occupied.
They have every opportunity to improve what they have, housing , education, lifestyle and pretty much not cost them a dime. Not many of them take advantage of the opportunities they have.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by diamondjim
White Clay is now a dry town. Means the natives just have drive/whatever to get the next town south. Haven't heard much about things since then. Probably didn't slow them down much.
Twice as many miles - DWI.

They don’t leave the res anymore, legalized it in 2015.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/south-dakotas-pine-ridge-indian-reservation-votes-to-legalize-alcohol

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Native Americans on South Dakota's Pine Ridge Indian Reservation have voted to end prohibition and legalize alcohol so the tribe can use the profits for education and treatment.

Swifty
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
I have met several on the Blackfoot res that were just like any other farmer. Our company was selling and installing irrig. systems and grain storage bins.

The tribe paid them to break op sod and they then leased it. They were good farmers. Had good equipment and raised good crops.

ONE WAS A trap shooter who went south for the winter in his big motor home like all the other snow birds.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I drove through a big rez in South Dakota one January day. We don't have any big reservations like that down here in Dixie, Good God I never had seen anything like it. Abandoned trailers and cars everywhere, six inches of snow piled up here and there, covered with dirt. A few drunk Indians sprawled out on front porches. A few raggedy children running around. What a depressing place to be.

I have spent a lot of time in black housing projects in Georgia on ambulance calls, but a Georgia housing project looks like Disneyland compared to the South Dakota rez.

Reservations are a sad place to visit. Most of the tribal leaders should not see the light of day again for the corruption they are involved in.

You see a lot of similar living conditions with white people, especially in the south, when off the major beaten paths. It seems like you get about half way through MO and you start to notice real change. Many people just don't give a schidt about what their houses and yards look like. Appliances, toilets, junk cars etc., strewn about the yard. Houses that needed paint and shingles 30 years ago, plastic over windows, dirty little white kids running around with sagging diapers...

Welfare does very, very few people any good.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by ipopum
Those that live on the res. say that there are 2 kinds of people there. The reds & the apples. they are all the same except that the apples are red on the outside but white on the inside.
Truth^^^
My experience is....if you work and acquire nice things...you are white.
If you don't work and live in poverty, you are an Indian.

This is maybe the biggest obstacle to overcome, as I see it, and has been handed down and is now inter-generational, up here anyways.

It is up to the elders and community leaders to "fix" it...not government.

I have a Brother from the same Mother and Father
He is as White as you get the same as I am

He has been doing Indian Dance since he was around 17 or 18 he is now in his mid to late 60s.
He has been adopted into to Indian Family's that live on one of the Reservations in Montana.

He has pretty much disowned our Family at least that is what he tells us but when I call him he is like any other Brother and we have good conversations as long as we do not bring up Politics.

He takes trips to the Res. every chance he gets and he would move out there at the drop of a hat if his wife would move there.

He is deep in their religion and I do not have a problem with that at all. My other family members do. That is their problem.

Montana from what I have been told is a Very Beautiful State.

He still posts on Facebook how GREAT his hero Obummer is and was for this Country.

When I was staying with him to help with my dads last days.
That was when the young boy in DC was approached by the Indians on the Curb waiting to be picked up and the Indian started pounding his drum and singing to the kid that just stood there.

Well I watched the Youtube video 3 or 4 times and my Brother in the other room said that he seen the kid hit the Indian and Spit in the Indians face.

I told him that we must of been watching different videos because that is not what I seen.

He started screaming at me and yelled and I quote.

WHY DO ALL OF YOU Fing WHITE BOYS MOVE BACK TO EUROPE WHERE YOU CAME FROM AND LEAVE MY PEOPLE ALONE,

I just stood there just like that kid did and let him scream at me.

I was thinking to my self that we came from the same parents and he is a White as I am.

There is Truly something that has went Hay Wire in the Heads of some people in this world and the Dumbcrats tend to show that a lot more that the Conservatives.

I have been around a few Indians in my life and went to Pow Wows I have even Sweat doing their religious prayer.

And just about every Indian I have met Votes Dumbocrat.
The Same People that are keeping them repressed and stuck in the Reservation System.

The saying
Do the same thing over and over expecting a different out come comes to mind.

Some of them are truly Insane just like my Brother at times

Last edited by funshooter; 09/10/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had a couple work trips to AZ / NM under my belt when I was invited to the Rez to ride horses.
Being careful what I do when working out of state, I ran it past a local white guy on the crew.
His response was: "not just no, [bleep] NO!"
Since then I've seen some of it and heard stories so I'm glad I asked.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
NATIONAL & WORLD NEWS
By STEPHEN GROVES, Associated Press
Updated 2 hours ago
Two American Indian tribes in South Dakota have agreed to purchase 40 acres of land near the Wounded Knee National Historic Landmark on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Two American Indian tribes in South Dakota have joined forces to purchase 40 acres around the Wounded Knee National Historic Landmark, the site of one of the deadliest massacres in U.S. history.

The Oglala Sioux and the Cheyenne River Sioux said the purchase of the land on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation was an act of cooperation to ensure the area was preserved as a sacred site. More than 200 Native Americans — including children and elderly people — were killed at Wounded Knee in 1890. The bloodshed marked a seminal moment in the frontier battles the U.S. Army waged against tribes.

“It's a small step towards healing and really making sure that we as a tribe are protecting our critical areas and assets,” Oglala Sioux Tribe President Kevin Killer told The Associated Press.

The tribes agreed this week to petition the U.S. Department of the Interior to take the land into trust on behalf of both tribes. The Oglala Sioux tribe will pay $255,000 and the Cheyenne River Sioux tribe will pay $245,000 for the site, Indian Country Today reported. The title to the land will be held in the name of the Oglala Sioux tribe.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
NATIONAL & WORLD NEWS
By STEPHEN GROVES, Associated Press
Updated 2 hours ago
Two American Indian tribes in South Dakota have agreed to purchase 40 acres of land near the Wounded Knee National Historic Landmark on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Two American Indian tribes in South Dakota have joined forces to purchase 40 acres around the Wounded Knee National Historic Landmark, the site of one of the deadliest massacres in U.S. history.

The Oglala Sioux and the Cheyenne River Sioux said the purchase of the land on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation was an act of cooperation to ensure the area was preserved as a sacred site. More than 200 Native Americans — including children and elderly people — were killed at Wounded Knee in 1890. The bloodshed marked a seminal moment in the frontier battles the U.S. Army waged against tribes.

“It's a small step towards healing and really making sure that we as a tribe are protecting our critical areas and assets,” Oglala Sioux Tribe President Kevin Killer told The Associated Press.

The tribes agreed this week to petition the U.S. Department of the Interior to take the land into trust on behalf of both tribes. The Oglala Sioux tribe will pay $255,000 and the Cheyenne River Sioux tribe will pay $245,000 for the site, Indian Country Today reported. The title to the land will be held in the name of the Oglala Sioux tribe.

Oh they will be fighting over that land soon enough and will ask the Uncle Sugar to intervene..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Judman
God damn this makes me wanna stop in jitterbugs on the Rocky boy again!!! 😂😂

I bicycled right on by that place in ‘19, I didn’t realize it’s significance at the time.

I have heard it is a place of food, drink, live music and many stories, and unlike Luckenbach TX it ain’t about to be inundated with tourists and gay weddings any time soon.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (21, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 260Remguy, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,811
Posts18,536,699
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.