Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Would an older Alpha glass scope such as a Zeiss Diavari V with T coatings outperform something like a Zeiss V4 or Nightforce SHV?

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If "outperform" is refering to optical quality then yes in both cases.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes buy a good margin especially in low light.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Yes, I meant optical performance, I don’t dial when hunting. Was specifically considering a Diavari V 3-9x42 T* for a Dakota 97 in 300 winchester mag.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have an older Diavari and newer Nightforce NXS. Optical performance still goes to Diavari. Lower light, resolution, any way you want to measure it, Diavari wins. I want to compare it to a S&B but can't justify the three thousand dollar price tag and don't know if I really would gain anything over Diavari.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mliang
I have an older Diavari and newer Nightforce NXS. Optical performance still goes to Diavari. Lower light, resolution, any way you want to measure it, Diavari wins. I want to compare it to a S&B but can't justify the three thousand dollar price tag and don't know if I really would gain anything over Diavari.

The Polar smokes the Diavari actually. I have owned both and a Zeiss HT .

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's what I hear. But that price is hard to swallow when the Diavari does everything I need on a hunting rifle. And in that price range your getting into nightvision and thermal territory.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's what I hear. But that price is hard to swallow when the Diavari does everything I need on a hunting rifle. And in that price range your getting into nightvision and thermal territory.

That price plus the 34mm scope tube is whyI don't own one anymore. I can get by very nicely with a Leica Amplus , S&B classic and a Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I believe with optics you reach a point of diminishing returns. In most cases with top tier alpha glass such as a Polar or Victory HT etc. you get a pretty small percentage of better optical quality/performance compared to upper mid-tier but it generally comes with a price significantly higher than the performance is worth.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ghostman
I believe with optics you reach a point of diminishing returns. In most cases with top tier alpha glass such as a Polar or Victory HT etc. you get a pretty small percentage of better optical quality/performance compared to upper mid-tier but it generally comes with a price significantly higher than the performance is worth.

There is a very clear difference between a Polar and a premium 30mm German/austrian scope., makes no difference where one hunts 30 minutes after sunset with the exception of heavy dark woods.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
zeiss v4 isn't really comparable to SHV, even less so to NXS. the zeiss v4 is quite a bit better by a good margin. any of them are plenty good. keep in mind your scope isn't a spotting device.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

That’s a pretty bold statement. I won’t argue the S&B may be brighter, but “smokes it” I think may be a bit much…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by shrapnel

That’s a pretty bold statement. I won’t argue the S&B may be brighter, but “smokes it” I think may be a bit much…

96% light transmission vs 94.5 for the Zeiss HT vs 90-92 for everyone else. Using one in the dark is like cheating.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

There is a very clear difference between a Polar and a premium 30mm German/austrian scope., makes no difference where one hunts 30 minutes after sunset with the exception of heavy dark woods.

Tube size (34mm vs 30mm) has no little to no bearing on glass quality, light gathering ability, contrast, resolution etc. Glass and coatings are another matter....

"96% light transmission vs 94.5 for the Zeiss HT vs 90-92 for everyone else. Using one in the dark is like cheating".

That's what the manufacturers specs state, but what I'm saying is for the extra 2-4% of light transmission the cost almost always doubles. I'm not knocking Alpha glass by any means, I own a couple of Victory HT's. It's up to the end user to decide if double the cost is worth a few more minutes of light transmission. In most states a mid tier or less can be used at legal shooting time. If I'm hunting in the dark I'll use NV or Thermal.

Last edited by Ghostman; 09/13/22.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Tube size (34mm vs 30mm) has no little to no bearing on glass quality, light gathering ability, contrast, resolution etc. Glass and coatings are another matter....

Who said they did? I don't like them because they are bulky. They just have better glass then anyone else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
zeiss v4 isn't really comparable to SHV, even less so to NXS. the zeiss v4 is quite a bit better by a good margin. any of them are plenty good. keep in mind your scope isn't a spotting device.

Never the less, scopes are used for verification of the target. Is it legal? Is it what you want?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Not worth the price , there’s only so much available light a scope can transmit, also for those who don’t know this, scopes only transmit available light they do not gather anything.

Fück Joe byron
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I use my scope a lot more than most people, or so it seems. Once I locate a target, I put my gun up and watch it through the scope sometimes for several minutes before deciding to take a shot or not. And often I have to wait a while to get a good shot, if the target is moving in and out of cover, for example. To me, the optics in a scope are important.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyE
I use my scope a lot more than most people, or so it seems. Once I locate a target, I put my gun up and watch it through the scope sometimes for several minutes before deciding to take a shot or not. And often I have to wait a while to get a good shot, if the target is moving in and out of cover, for example. To me, the optics in a scope are important.

You are saying what most should if they told the truth.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My binos cost more $$$ than any scope I've ever owned, FWIW.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

281 members (10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 36 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,488
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.