-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not suggesting you should give up your 870. I don't own a slug gun. If I had to get one, I'd get a 220. That's all I'm saying... smile

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Joe, it's going to be a real mule-killer at both ends! Might be time to learn the art of bullet casting and reduced load development.....
Can I make some Sabots and put an HP cast bullet in, IT?

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 99guy
If needed to hunt with slugs, I wouldn't own anything but a Savage 220

https://www.savagearms.com/content?a=product_summary&p=firearms&s=57377
Those 220's are crazy accurate. One of Tommy's guys brought one to camp. He had never shot a gun of any kind before. We coached him on sighting in. Once he figured it out, we put golf balls on Tee's. I think he went 10 for 10 before he said his shoulder was starting to feel it.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My Savage 99 is from 1960. A featherweight type in 300 Savage.

has some serious recoil ability. Got that rifle new when i was 16 years old... and skinny. It beat me up seriously. Am not an expert, but i think the lighter weight AND the stock shape make the difference. Great rifle for sneak hunting.

More recently my older body [lol] has learned to accept the felt recoil. its still serious. Have been using 150 gr Hornady Interlocks with moderate reloads. it shoots about 1.5 MOA when i am any good. Have shot my share of deer with it.

I would rather shoot my old Model 70 in 270, or my 7 x 57 Mauser. have taken deer with those, too. But the 99 is the first rifle i ever purchased and therefore my sentimental favorite.

No, these rifles arent for sale. They are going to my son and grandson.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RCflash

has some serious recoil ability. Got that rifle new when i was 16 years old... and skinny. It beat me up seriously. Am not an expert, but i think the lighter weight AND the stock shape make the difference. Great rifle for sneak hunting.

More recently my older body [lol] has learned to accept the felt recoil. its still serious. Have been using 150 gr Hornady Interlocks with moderate reloads. it shoots about 1.5 MOA when i am any good. Have shot my share of deer with it.

I would rather shoot my old Model 70 in 270, or my 7 x 57 Mauser. have taken deer with those, too. But the 99 is the first rifle i ever purchased and therefore my sentimental favorite.

Get another rifle in the exact same model and configuration, except in 250. Every time you pick it up tell yourself it's the old nostalgic one. Works for me.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin

Get another rifle in the exact same model and configuration, except in 250. Every time you pick it up tell yourself it's the old nostalgic one. Works for me.

Post mil 250 F Joe?

You ever seen one?

cool

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Not suggesting you should give up your 870. I don't own a slug gun. If I had to get one, I'd get a 220. That's all I'm saying... smile

They're an excellent deer gun, just not my cup of tea. They also didn't make a lefty version back when I started using a slug gun. They do now, or at least they did the last time I had been swapping up slug flingers 3-4 years ago.

Sorta hoping I never have to shoot a shotgun slug again the rest of my life, though 🤣 I am hanging onto the 870 just in case I ever need a slug gun again, especially since I have a fair stash of sabots for it.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Post mil 250 F Joe?

You ever seen one?

cool

Let's play a little game; Which one wouldya?

After and before-

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The one you have is the only one I know of.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure there must be others.

Be damned if I have ever heard tell of another though...

~Admiral Yamamoto~

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Joe, it's going to be a real mule-killer at both ends! Might be time to learn the art of bullet casting and reduced load development.....

I guess so, if you want to add to the hair pulling and frustration. Frankly I wouldn't bother. It's an idea for centerfire rifles that's been tried and abandoned. When's the last time you saw those Remington .30-06 sabot loads with .22 bullets?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm sure there must be others.

Be damned if I have ever heard tell of another though...

Can't be the only one. How 'bought ol' squeeler?

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Post mil 250 F Joe?

You ever seen one?

cool
[quote=RCflash]My Savage 99 is from 1960. A featherweight type in 300 Savage.

Post mil 250 F Joe?

You ever seen one?

cool[/quote
Yes, Roy has one.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I guess so, if you want to add to the hair pulling and frustration. Frankly I wouldn't bother. It's an idea for centerfire rifles that's been tried and abandoned. When's the last time you saw those Remington .30-06 sabot loads with .22 bullets?
I was just joking about the Sabots. But, I was just talking to someone about the 30-06 and 30-30 with the 22 bullets. I couldn’t remember what they called them? Some catchy name?

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Remington Accelerators.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jaaack
I notice the EG buttstock is a different color than the forearm and has a fluted comb. Is that an F buttstock? If so, lighter weight might contribute to more recoil than a standard EG.

You get the gold star of the day sir.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Jaaack
I notice the EG buttstock is a different color than the forearm and has a fluted comb. Is that an F buttstock? If so, lighter weight might contribute to more recoil than a standard EG.

You get the gold star of the day sir.

Bingo.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Since the buttstock was wrong I went ahead and fitted a more appropriate one.

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Roy, To make a story even better,that inspection mark on your 250 is the one John Callahan used when he worked at Savage ! smile Don

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Roy, that buttstock might not have been "wrong". Did you check the assembly codes?

What is the serial number on that rifle? I had a late .358 EG that I sold to David Royal, serial no. 967XXX. It had the folding rear sight that was used on the 1959 F's and an F buttstock. The frame, buttstock and butt plate assembly codes matched, but the forearm mark was just a C in a circle. We concluded that Savage was assembling rifles from parts on hand prior to the move to Westfield. Like, maybe they ran out of EG buttstocks and were using F buttstocks on EGs to use up EG barrels.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,437
Posts18,489,382
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.