Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Working for the RR must not be any picnic. A young friend went to a hiring seminar put on by Union Pacific a couple years back.
First thing the UP man holding the seminar said, "Look around here guys, 22 men looking for a good paying steady job, 18 of you will walk out of here today without filling out an application". And then he went on to explain the why, there are no holidays, days off you can plan for, live by the phone, everything in your life will be ruled by the phone. Most of UP openings at that time were in Maintenance of Way, but there were a couple train crew jobs too. Anyway the guy was right, only 5 guys filled out apps, my friend walked, all he could see was a high risk of divorce.

My grandson was recently hired by BNSF in their Tech Support Group. His schedule is a constant one of moving between locations with days off few and far between. He’s single so it fits his lifestyle just fine for now and he’s making excellent money and getting himself a good jump start on his finances.

His schedule would be very hard on any family man.

His other grandad retired from the R.R. And two of his uncles are still with the R.R. but have worked themselves into 5 day/week positions so not so bad for them.

As far as the strike goes, my grandson says what he hears is pretty much equally split between yeas and nays at this point whereas as before the talk was mostly in favor of the strike to prove a point.

I guess we’ll know by Friday.

The strike vote has already been taken and approved, or we wouldn't be talking about it at this point.

Understood. State the obvious.
The question is will it occur and who blinks first.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Working for the RR must not be any picnic. A young friend went to a hiring seminar put on by Union Pacific a couple years back.
First thing the UP man holding the seminar said, "Look around here guys, 22 men looking for a good paying steady job, 18 of you will walk out of here today without filling out an application". And then he went on to explain the why, there are no holidays, days off you can plan for, live by the phone, everything in your life will be ruled by the phone. Most of UP openings at that time were in Maintenance of Way, but there were a couple train crew jobs too. Anyway the guy was right, only 5 guys filled out apps, my friend walked, all he could see was a high risk of divorce.

My grandson was recently hired by BNSF in their Tech Support Group. His schedule is a constant one of moving between locations with days off few and far between. He’s single so it fits his lifestyle just fine for now and he’s making excellent money and getting himself a good jump start on his finances.

His other grandad retired from the R.R. And two of his uncles are still with the R.R. but have worked themselves into 5 day/week positions so not so bad for them.

As far as the strike goes, my grandson says what he hears is pretty much equally split between yeas and nays at this point whereas as before the talk was mostly in favor of the strike to prove a point.

The strike vote has already been taken and approved, or we wouldn't be talking about it at this point.

Want me to make an educated guess?
I'm not psychic and I no longer have current inside info, but I wouldn't be surprised if BLET president Pierce is betting on a favorable PEB appointed by Biden. And if it comes to that, I'd be surprised if that PEB didn't protect the railroads. Just Like Every Time.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I'm not psychic and I no longer have current inside info, but I wouldn't be surprised if BLET president Pierce is betting on a favorable PEB appointed by Biden. And if it comes to that, I'd be surprised if that PEB didn't protect the railroads. Just Like Every Time.

Yessir. Politics will be front and center in the outcome.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
There’s no need to fear. President Biden’s here.Lol. Edk

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Maybe JOE will recall what HARRY did ?

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't get me started on RR's and unions!
Union (BRASC) screwed us like a house cat by buying off local chair to the top!
Did the same thing with the BLE and the BRT. Dimwits thought the UTU would be a big improvements over BLE and BRT.
All they did was gather all the sheep onto one corral, like"Judas" steer, leading harvest of the herd to slaughter.

About 1965, the RR cut off all firemen. The firemen were engineer trainees.
About 1975, the RR suddenly figured out they couldn't just "replace" retiring/dying engineers.

Later, the RR made a promise that if they removed the caboose and went to two man crews, they would NEVER put over 75 cars on a train.
UTU agreed.
RR continued putting together 100 car trains.
....and still are.
They replaced the caboose with F.R.E.D.(Flashing Rear End Device).
By the time an approaching engineer realizes he/she is approaching a F.R.E.D. at speed, it's too freaking late!

One man crew?
What can two men do that one can't?
Replace a knuckle?
Set out a B.O.?
Repair an airhose?
As a matter of fact, what can a four man crew do that a one or two man crew can't.

Might as well go with unmanned locomotives.
At least personal inuries will be reduced to derail cleanup crews only! LOL!

Railroad motto

"Uphill slow,
Downhill fast,
Tonnage first,
Safety last!"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I talked with a trucker today while fueling up and he is hopeful that this won’t happen but feels that it’s a better than even chance that it will. However short lived it’ll be major pain.

Through conversation he mentioned that there are over 7 million over the road truckers moving America. If true, I had no idea that we have that many truckers on the roads.

Puts things in perspective to appreciate them.
Yep. I always get my railroad information from non railroad folk. You retard. LOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Maybe JOE will recall what HARRY did ?
KneelsForPole,

You may be on to something.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
Did the same thing with the BLE and the BRT. Dimwits thought the UTU would be a big improvements over BLE and BRT.
All they did was gather all the sheep onto one corral, like"Judas" steer, leading harvest of the herd to slaughter.

About 1975, the RR suddenly figured out they couldn't just "replace" retiring/dying engineers.

Later, the RR made a promise that if they removed the caboose and went to two man crews, they would NEVER put over 75 cars on a train.
UTU agreed.
....and still are.
By the time an approaching engineer realizes he/she is approaching a F.R.E.D. at speed, it's too freaking late!

One man crew?
Replace a knuckle?
Set out a B.O.?
Repair an airhose?
As a matter of fact, what can a four man crew do that a one or two man crew can't.

Railroad motto

"Uphill slow,
Downhill fast,
Tonnage first,
Safety last!"

Please tell me you're just a foamer. The part I put in bold suggests so.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had to look up "foamer" lmao. 🤣

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hell of it all is they’re making record profits and want more. Outsourcing everywhere possible. They’re woke to boot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by martinstrummer

UTU agreed.
....and still are.

One man crew?
Replace a knuckle?
Set out a B.O.?
Repair an airhose?

Railroad motto

"Uphill slow,
Downhill fast,
Tonnage first,
Safety last!"

Please tell me you're just a foamer. The part I put in bold suggests so.

Lol, musta missed signal day.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rainshot
Hell of it all is they’re making record profits and want more. Outsourcing everywhere possible. They’re woke to boot.

And this country can’t do without them for very long.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Such profundity.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Such profundity.

Half the board just googled that.

MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

We've already had a PEB board, we're just at the end of the 30 day cooling off period.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So they strike tomorrow let's say. Trains in motion - I assume they'd roll to next stop and then the crew walks?

Me

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I wish the RR, UPS, Fed Ex, USPS and the truckers would go on a 60 day strike all at one time. 3/4 of the idiots in this country would starve or get shot stealing somebody's sheit. The Great Reset !!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Speaking of conflict resolution.......Kerry used james Taylor to serenade the Iranians a few years ago.....

With Boxcar willie no longer available, Biden gonna have real hard time working things out with the RRs.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Replacing retiring personnel has been a long going problem with all industries. More with some than others. Railroad crews are treated like the lowly truck driver (like dirt), yet so many depend on them. Most of this strike talk is the fault of government and the lack of the FRA to follow through with promised minimums and better pay and hours of operation. FHA rules on minimum crew size has been promised for decades, and still nothing. Pay, the average engineer makes less than $25 an hour, and permanently on a short on-call list. Don't report when called, even when ill results in heavy penalties and in some cases being dismissed. Generally, I'm on the side of the unions, but with the railroads for far too long the unions have pretty much been on the same side as management.

I believe this time around a strike is very well possible, and one lasting for 30 days or more. And again, the FRA will promise better regulation and do nothing.

Phil

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (22250rem, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 31 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,654
Posts18,512,764
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.