Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Robert, I have no idea what�s going on with your rifles/ammo but it�s pretty obvious that SOMETHING is beating/corroding the crap out of the bolts on at least two of your rifles.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but if you do not make it a habit of properly cleaning your rifles, including the bolt, the locking lug recesses and the chamber, then crap can start building up and can cause all sorts of problems down the road.

It�s not unheard of to get a batch of bad factory ammo...or to get a bad factory rifle...but if you got two bad factory rifles and two bad batches of ammo you must be one unlucky guy! smile

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It looks like the chunk out of the bolt face is teflon coated just like the rest of the bolt surface, Whats that tell you?

Last edited by GSP7; 10/25/07.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Uh, that it didn't happen after it was coated?

I still think it was there from day one. Just a sloppy piece of crap that slipped through. Under magnification that little firing pin hole sized gash looks pretty frightening, but I still don't think that is the source of the trouble. It actually looks like a tool mark, kind of like what it might look like if a person was to accidentally run a tool into the bolt face.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Redneck - I think you are right. Look at the lugs closer up. That's startling.

[Linked Image]

I had a Savage 110 blow a primer, with Hornady factory ammo no less, and it etched my boltface badly. Not as bad as Bruzers, but it was in a similar position.

Bruzer - I also agree with the others that the boltface of your LSVF appears to have been scorched by a leaky primer pocket. I had a Ruger .270 lightly scorched by a leaky factory loaded Winchester round.

Bruzer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Something I notice but haven't seen reference to it from anyone, but doesn't it look like that LH bolt lug is cracked? (top pix) If so, that could easily be the cause of your problems..

Redneck,

There is indeed a crack in the lug. I also have 2 remaining rounds of the Hornady SST 150gr ammunition left over and I pulled the bullet from one and measured the powder. I was told by a Hornady Tech today that this lot number should have 74gr of H4350 and this round had 79.4gr. Can anyone tell me if this much H4350 caused the problem?

Thanks,

Robert

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It sure could (FIVE grains over max!!! WOWWWWW).. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, FIRE THAT RIFLE AGAIN.

Get that bolt replaced NOW before someone, prolly you, gets severly injured..

Last edited by Redneck; 10/26/07.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Redneck,

Good catch!

I must have looked at that crack a half dozen times but it wouldn't register. I guess I couldn't imagine it being anything more than a scratch.

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
also, if the back of the lugs were coated and the lug area in the action also it plays havoc with headspacing and stiff bolt lift (even when the chamber is empty).

now that the lug is cracked it doesn't matter cause you need a new bolt at the least.. go to church...

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Bruzer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
It sure could (FIVE grains over max!!! WOWWWWW).. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, FIRE THAT RIFLE AGAIN.

Get that bolt replaced NOW before someone, prolly you, gets severly injured..

Redneck and Buzz,

Now Hornady says that this lot# should have had 79.5gr of a "Commercial Powder". So it looks like the rounds were loaded correctly. I'm not sure what has caused this unless it was the Teflon coating maybe?

Either way, the rifle is at Remington so they will do what they do will either repair it or I will be buying a new action for my Obermeyer Barrel.

Thanks,

Robert

Bruz

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bruzer

Either way, the rifle is at Remington so they will do what they do will either repair it or I will be buying a new action for my Obermeyer Barrel.

Remmy will get it handled.. If that was Hornady ammo and not reloads it's POSSIBLE it may be a free fix.. Keep us posted as to what they decide to do..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There is indeed a crack in the lug.

You said nothing of the crack in the original post. How do you know it is cracked? Just cause it looks like a crack doesn't mean it is. I've Magnafluxed a ton of suspicious looking stuff that was thought to have been cracked only to find out it was nothing. I also spent some time in California where not everything you see have cracks! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you have it sent off, cleaned and coated, and then re headspaced, or did you just get it back and pull it out of the box and start shooting?

That bolt face, lugs and all look ROUGH. If the people that coated your action and bolt even looked at the bolt they should have seen the huge chunk missing and notified you.

Seems to me when I pick up a new rifle NIB or used, I always break it down and make sure everything is clean, free of dirt/grease/crap/defects, then properly oil it and reassemble.

If the bolt was like that from the factory it never should have left where you bought it from. It doesn't take 2 seconds to pop the bolt out and look it over, and slip it back in.

NRA Life Member
Bruzer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BoreSnake
There is indeed a crack in the lug.

You said nothing of the crack in the original post. How do you know it is cracked? Just cause it looks like a crack doesn't mean it is. I've Magnafluxed a ton of suspicious looking stuff that was thought to have been cracked only to find out it was nothing. I also spent some time in California where not everything you see have cracks! grin

Boresnake,

I was commenting on the observations in this thread. There appears to be a crack in the lug as pointed out by several posters. Remington has the rifle now and we will soon see.

Robert

Bruz

Bruzer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage2005
Did you have it sent off, cleaned and coated, and then re headspaced, or did you just get it back and pull it out of the box and start shooting?

That bolt face, lugs and all look ROUGH. If the people that coated your action and bolt even looked at the bolt they should have seen the huge chunk missing and notified you.

Seems to me when I pick up a new rifle NIB or used, I always break it down and make sure everything is clean, free of dirt/grease/crap/defects, then properly oil it and reassemble.

If the bolt was like that from the factory it never should have left where you bought it from. It doesn't take 2 seconds to pop the bolt out and look it over, and slip it back in.

Savage,

Again this was ignorance on my part. My wife had the rifle work done as a gift for Christmas 2005. I finally got around to shooting the rifle the following Summer. Back then I simply cleaned the rifle once a year after season,sighted it in the next Summer and hunted with it. I have just recently started hand loading and doing basic work on my rifles. This is simply a case of "if I knew then what I know now".

I look at it this way....The worst that can happen now is that I'm out a rifle (I have more).......It could have turned out much worse.

Robert

Bruz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
YEs it could have

I also trust (as well as others) that you're gonna be paying more attention to your rifles from now on.

Can't even imagine where you'd be right now if that thing had come apart on you.

NRA Life Member
Bruzer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage2005
YEs it could have

I also trust (as well as others) that you're gonna be paying more attention to your rifles from now on.

Can't even imagine where you'd be right now if that thing had come apart on you.

Me either. I guess someone was watching out for me.

Thanks for everyone's input on this issue. I really do appreciate the education I'm receiving on this forum.

Robert

Last edited by Bruzer; 11/04/07.

Bruz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see on other forums you got your gun back from the "Green Giant" already... Wow,,, talk about a turn around in *RECORD* time...

Shipped on the 23rd of Oct, Returned on the 6th of Nov...

Best I can figure, that's "11" business days including the day your shipped it and today. Never in my life have I heard of that sort of turn time, you must have gotten real lucky... Had a good friend that sent his gun to Remington for a replacement trigger due to his brand new rifle's trigger breaking out of the box and it took "2" weeks for them just to let him know they got his gun in and would be looking at it in the upcoming days. It was MONTHS before he got it back in his hands and that was after repeated phone calls that really got him much of nowhere...

and on top of that miraculous miracle, tale is they didn't charge you a dime and went above and beyond the call of duty to replace:

1) New Bolt Assembly
2) New Extractor
3) New Ejector
4) New Trigger
5) Headspaced and test fired
6) New BDL Bottom Metal and Mag Box

Gees man, you must have really talked to the "right" person at Remington to get that sort of treatment...

I figured shipping time alone to and fro would come close to a week; maybe more. Everything must have come together nicely along with all the planets and stars aligning.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Bruzer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
I hear you got your gun back from the "Green Giant" already... Wow,,, talk about a turn around in *RECORD* time...

Shipped on the 23rd of Oct, Returned on the 6th of Nov...

Best I can figure, that's "11" business days including the day your shipped it and today. Never in my life have I heard of that sort of turn time, you must have gotten real lucky... Had a good friend that sent his gun to Remington for a replacement trigger due to his brand new rifle's trigger breaking out of the box and it took "2" weeks for them just to let him know they got his gun in and would be looking at it in the upcoming days. It was MONTHS before he got it back in his hands and that was after repeated phone calls that really got him much of nowhere...

and on top of that miraculous miracle, tale is they didn't charge you a dime and went above and beyond the call of duty to replace:

1) New Bolt Assembly
2) New Extractor
3) New Ejector
4) New Trigger
5) Headspaced and test fired
6) New BDL Bottom Metal and Mag Box

Gees man, you must have really talked to the "right" person at Remington to get that sort of treatment...

I figured shipping time alone to and fro would come close to a week; maybe more. Everything must have come together nicely along with all the planets and stars aligning.

I didn't get it back yet. It's in packaging to be shipped back as we speak. They were going to charge me $47 COD for the replacement of the trigger when I spoke to them yesterday but then I called Pete in Customer Service and he referred me to Chrissy who is head of Customer Service and she waived the COD Charges. So, Yes they really came through for me. Also they are sending me a key for another Remington I have with ISS (J-Lock) free of charge as well. Great Company, Great Product and Great Service. IMHO.

2 Issues though....

1) They didn't tell me what caused the problem.
2) Why they gave me BDL bottom metal for an ADL is beyond me.

Robert

Last edited by Bruzer; 11/06/07.

Bruz

Bruzer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
To all,

Since there seems to be some question as to how this Remington repair transpired and a "Member" here seems to believe I am not being truthful as far my experience with Remington. I am posting the information from start to finish.

First up is my confirmation of the delivery to Remington on October 25th.

[Linked Image]

I will also be posting the Repair Order Form when received from Ms. Chrissy Mitchell at Remington when she faxes it over.

The Rifle has been packed and I am told by Pete that it will ship this afternoon and when received I will post pics of the items received.....Just so everyone can feel comfortable with the fact that when you conduct yourself professionally and in a straight forward manner good companies will solve their problems for you.

Remington will get as much business from me as I can afford to give them from now on.:bounce:

Robert

Bruz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LMAO...

noticed that the bolt was headspacing on the stock.

http://forums.gon.com/showpost.php?p=1556611&postcount=20

----------------

Good job man, glad you got your gun back... No need to read more into than that...

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.