-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had Baja Boss AT on my GMC that bit the dust. They are the best mix between MT and AT but they picked up rocks more for some reason even though the spacing is larger. I lost the tires on trade in and just received my prepaid rebate Visa yesterday.

They rode darned good but I can’t do an apples to apples comparison because they are different trucks. They were the exact same size as the Generals on my tacoma though. The generals are built better where it counts.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 09/12/22.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JPro
Toyota could get there (24-25mpg) with a turbo inline-4, but they are reluctant to do it for some reason. The extra torque on the low end would help the transmission be less prone to shifting so much. Torquey turbo engines more easily push through gearing situations that would prompt a downshift in an naturally-aspirated small displacement engine. If a 5500lb turbo F150 4x4 can average 22-23mpg, a compact Toyota sure should be able to beat that.

You would think that would be the case. Driveline weight is a factor in the lower gas mileage. Toyota is a very conservative company and does things slowly and if it sells they don't try to "FIX" it. They need a 4.0 liter straight line six. grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Toyota could get there (24-25mpg) with a turbo inline-4, but they are reluctant to do it for some reason.
'24s probably will have one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slip_sinker
Toyota could get there (24-25mpg) with a turbo inline-4, but they are reluctant to do it for some reason.
'24s probably will have one.

Yep and an EV option with no 6cy or something dumb.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think many of these companies are loosing sight of whats most important to utilitarian off roaders. I’d likely be sitting in a Jeep again if the engine options were more archaic.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I think many of these companies are loosing sight of whats most important to utilitarian off roaders. I’d likely be sitting in a Jeep again if the engine options were more archaic.

I've wondered how cost effective making a simple/base Tacoma/Wrangler/Bronco/etc would be for a manufacturer. Minimal electronics, standard transmission, simple/carbed engine, no frills but something anyone (with basic knowledge) could turn a wrench on. It would be a limited market. I'm guessing the cost of getting it into production would be prohibitive, especially since most manufactures are behind on producing current vehicles.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I've wondered how cost effective making a simple/base Tacoma/Wrangler/Bronco/etc would be for a manufacturer. Minimal electronics, standard transmission, simple/carbed engine, no frills but something anyone (with basic knowledge) could turn a wrench on. It would be a limited market. I'm guessing the cost of getting it into production would be prohibitive, especially since most manufactures are behind on producing current vehicles.

I think the barrier to new carb, minimal electronics is passing EPA. The reason all that crap is on there is so they can pass emissions it seems.

Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Have to use Injectors , carbs will not pass emission. They need to go with a straight six or maybe even a 5 cal. As far as the manual transmission that will never happen since Millenials don[t know how to drive them. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The Taco is probably the closest we can get to that in a new truck. Utilitarian off-roader folks are not a large market segment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Folks that can turn a wrench and want a simple rig don't buy them new.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Have to use Injectors , carbs will not pass emission. They need to go with a straight six or maybe even a 5 cal. As far as the manual transmission that will never happen since Millenials don[t know how to drive them. grin

Tacoma and the Gladiator are the last trucks avail with a stick shift right now.

Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Tacoma and the Gladiator are the last trucks avail with a stick shift right now.

My oldest Tacoma 2006 was a 6 Spd 4.0 and I could not get better then 15-18 mpg with it and that was a good day. Front had a 1 1/2 inch lift , no other mods.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Have a double cab long bed 2021 with 15K miles. Pretty good little truck, comfortable to drive and is very capable off road with a rear locking diff. I dont have a issue with the transmission hunting, in fact it feels spot on. Better than my wifes 2013 Tahoe..IMO. steering is tight. Power is acceptable and not lacking.
Storage in the cab could be better if Toyota took a lesson from Honda.
Rear seat arrangement in particular is poorly designed as with the seats folded they didn't maximize the platform for space. Rear seats are ok for a couple of kids long distance, full size adults, not so much.

Mileage could be better, I do a lot of around town and 15 to 17 is typical, although for some reason it has improved on my last tank..?
Highway mileage in the 19s, better if I slow down. Full size F150 would do that or better from what I hear.
Towing, I towed a 7000 boat from Valdez to Fairbanks and it did fine using a weight distributing hitch. I didn't plan to do that with that truck, but the boat broke and I decided to give it a go. Kept my speed down, went over Thompson pass about 45 mph at 3/4 throttle about the same as my 96 Ford with a 7.3, in fact mileage was about the same towing that load at 11 mpg.

I hate the autonomous radar cruise control thing, you can turn it off.. each and every time you get in the truck. Some may like it.

I don't care for the push button start, thats a stupid idea. Long story why.

It has this magnificent screen in the dash that tells you all kinds of worthless info, lacking is the gauge screen, things like actual engine temp. Oil pressure and tranny temp. When i was towing that heavy boat I was concerned about the tranny temp, lo and behold, no trans dipstick...!
Unbelievable! Apparently it will let you know if the temperature is high and probably detune the engine. I never had that happen so guess its ok.

Toyota could have easily provided a screen with that info... however I call it a millennial screen.

All new vehicles have some foibles, I bought a Toyota because I think they do build durable and long lasting products and expect it to last me 20 plus years. I still have my F250 for full size needs, but damn glad thats not my daily driver anymore.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
As far as the manual transmission that will never happen since Millenials don[t know how to drive them. grin

There is a lot more to it than not knowing how to drive a stick. My 1985 F150 with a 5 speed and granny 1st gear got its torque at 2000 rpm. A 3rd gen Tacoma needs 4500 rpm to develop torque and it has a manual geared more for a sports car than hauling/towing. Even most gas engines in 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks need 3500 rpm.

The manuals they are putting in these new vehicles are fun to drive if you're wanting a sports car. But try maneuvering a trailer in a tight spot with one. It is almost impossible to back a trailer with a manual in a Tacoma. The torque converter in an automatic makes this much easier. There isn't any practical reason to buy a manual anymore. Even 18 wheelers are now using automatics.

I have a 2007 Tacoma and hang out over at Tacoma World some. I've never driven a 3rd gen, but according to the chatter over there the 3rd gens made in the last couple of years have worked out the transmission shifting issues and by all accounts are much better. The early 3rd gens were bad about trying to hold higher gears longer and performance suffered.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
The 2021 comes "on the cam" right at 3500 rpm. Pulled heavy trailer up Thompson pass at 4500 rpm, about 45 mph. About the same speed as my 7.3 F250 with foot to the floor most of time. Not saying the taco will out pull a 3/4 truck, but I was rather surprised. And foot was not to the floor with the Toyota.
Most of the newer full size gas trucks like rpm, comparing a 93 F350 with a ZF 5 speed and a 460 to a 2012 F350 with a 6.2.. (I think it was a 6.2). The 460 is a low down and has plenty of grunt, the 6.2 wanted some rpm, and was happy there.
I think people buy tacos cuz they really wanted a BMW, but needed a truck... haha

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
We are never ever going to see a new road vehicle with a carb again. and for good reason. I can work on carbs and they have their place. But I don't miss them on my daily driver. Boats and off road is another story, then the only electronics would be the ignition. Simple is good when you're on your own.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just picked up my first Taco a few weeks ago. Found a 2022 Silver Sport CCSB Manual and am really liking it so far. I came from a F250 so getting used to the size difference has taken some time, but now I realize how much I really didn’t use my 250 for what it was meant for.

I’m only at 1,500 miles so far but around town I’m averaging 19-19.5 and hwy about 21-22. It’s a fun little truck and I can see myself keeping it for quite sometime.

In my F250 the throttle lag was awful and I ran a pedal commander for 3 years in it and that PC made it feel like a totally different truck. While the lag in the Taco isn’t as bad, I’ll still be adding a PC or Sprint Booster shortly.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My 95 Tacoma still treats me nice 250k ,4cyl ,5 spd. Run 65 on the highway you get 24-25 mpg . 75-80 21 mpg 2.7l 4 cyl plenty of power and torque for normal offroad getting around. Like it so much I' m gonna bust my ass and find another one for backup. Just like good whiskey and bad women costs less than cheap booze good women and trucks designed for millennial pussies...yeah I said that mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
My 95 Tacoma still treats me nice 250k ,4cyl ,5 spd. Run 65 on the highway you get 24-25 mpg . 75-80 21 mpg 2.7l 4 cyl plenty of power and torque for normal offroad getting around. Like it so much I' m gonna bust my ass and find another one for backup. Just like good whiskey and bad women costs less than cheap booze good women and trucks designed for millennial pussies...yeah I said that mb

I loved my 97 - was the same but auto.

Did what I needed and fit in the woods as needed, could basically go down an ATV trail.

Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I had a 2001 ,real nice double cab 4x4 SR5. Ex wife flipped and totaled (flipping automatically totals at that company) it but walked away without a scratch. I miss that truck.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

341 members (219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 48 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,844
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.