Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I just got a Browning hells canyon in 28 nosler. I measured the chamber with the fired bullet/blue locktigtht/bullet. It measured 3.6565" Coal with the bullet sitting on the lands. Does this sound about right? Anyone else run chamber length on their brownings. Thanks!

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Which bullet?

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
175 eldX. Would it matter? the chamber length will only allow a maximum certain length? Coal cant be effected by bullet can it? Those are actual questions not being rude.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Walleyesfairlanes
175 eldX. Would it matter? the chamber length will only allow a maximum certain length? Coal cant be effected by bullet can it? Those are actual questions not being rude.

Different bullets have different ogilvel lengths which affect COAL

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Yes sir, different bullets are going to touch the lands at different lengths. A 175 PT has a blunter, less sharp nose than your 175 ELD. So if the 175 ELD touches 3.65 in your rifle, the Partition is going to come in shorter. Just through the 175 PT out there for an example, but like JWP mentioned, all bullets are going to come in contact with the lands at different OAL's.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A smattering of .284" projectiles here,scribed with the VERY Technical Whirl & Twirl upon ogives. Their bases are all aligned,but the ogive scores and over all length are not. If only fhuqking obviously. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Because a throat is static,in the given scenario,ogives will align in contct with same...which very much changes where the bases and more importantly noses ride in relation to same. Hint.

It is very easy to "see" BC,in said manner. COAL relationship to a given throat,is one concern and powder intrusion to yield same,yet another. Thus the propensity to build a platform and spec all,in relation to a given projectile's properties,so dots are connected by default. Hint.

Regarding a freshly received 7mm RemMag from a Plumber of repute,my specified 3.585" COAL with a .796 BC Smooch was realized. That puts the bullet's heel at the neck/body juncture,which precludes powder intrusion. Ogives ride happily engaged in said lands,with better than .100" remaining in COAL,to chase same. None of which are "flukes". Hint.

You've been led to water.

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
See thats why I asked the questions. Thanks so much. So If wanted to start at .020 off the lands I would be looking at a coal value of 3.6365, correct. Using same bullet set up.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
See thats why I asked the questions. Thanks so much. So If wanted to start at .020 off the lands I would be looking at a coal value of 3.6365, correct. Using same bullet set up.

Just my opinion, but with the ELD if you can start close and work back you’re more likely to find happiness rather than skipping all the way to .020.

BS laid it out well with the pictures. If your gun will function with the rounds loaded that long I’d take it and start running at the lands and work back if needed. But I’m lazy and prefer to work in only one direction.

175 ELDS and H1000 have worked pretty well for me in a couple of 28 Noslers so far, if you’re looking for a place to start.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
A smattering of .284" projectiles here,scribed with the VERY Technical Whirl & Twirl upon ogives. Their bases are all aligned,but the ogive scores and over all length are not. If only fhuqking obviously. Hint.

Because a throat is static,in the given scenario,ogives will align in contct with same...which very much changes where the bases and more importantly noses ride in relation to same. Hint.

It is very easy to "see" BC,in said manner. COAL relationship to a given throat,is one concern and powder intrusion to yield same,yet another. Thus the propensity to build a platform and spec all,in relation to a given projectile's properties,so dots are connected by default. Hint.

Regarding a freshly received 7mm RemMag from a Plumber of repute,my specified 3.585" COAL with a .796 BC Smooch was realized. That puts the bullet's heel at the neck/body juncture,which precludes powder intrusion. Ogives ride happily engaged in said lands,with better than .100" remaining in COAL,to chase same. None of which are "flukes". Hint.

You've been led to water.

Hint...................

That 7 Rem should rip set up like that.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A .796BC at 2950fps from a 24" spout,ain't hard to grin about. Hint.(grin)

1600yd steel at rear of tang and 1400yd,above muzzle. The FFP Bushie skinned to 10x,coughs up 18 Mils of etched reticle,which is 1850yds+. 1000yd FV 10mph wind,is a paltry 1.2 Mils. Hint.

Not shabby for a lightly massaged Factory Rifle. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nah, there is alot to like about that package. Looks like a nicely packable deal as well.

Tough to whoop a good 7 and not rattle your teeth too much.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
180 ELD-Ms at 2913 blows holes in stuff. Very mild suppressed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Big Bitch 7mm RemMag loves the 180's too. Hint.

Hell...I LOVE 180's in my 7-08's! Hint..................(grin)

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Great looking rig Boomer.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All my 280's love them too. Hint..............

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Great looking rig Boomer.
TNX. Fun stuff. Harley Orange.

Haven't determined yet if any meaningful change after I chopped off 4 inches and fluted it with six 1/4" grooves, for a reduction of 11.6 ounces. I suspect not - within my margins of interest anyways...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'Nother 280 SALAMI 180 Launcher. Hint.................

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice rifles fellas.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably my favorite 7-06 SALAMI. Hint..................

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 55 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,816
Posts18,496,463
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.