Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Greyghost
I believe this time around a strike is very well possible, and one lasting for 30 days or more. And again, the FRA will promise better regulation and do nothing.

Phil

What are you smoking? I definitely want some to be that optimistic! grin 3 days is highly unlikely let alone 30 days, Congress and the President will not allow it. I hope you prove me wrong while I'm standing on the picket line on Friday.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not unless labor just folds and completely gives into management. The union couldn't have picked a worse time to strike, period. The companies can afford to sit it out and just do maintenance, repositioning manpower and equipment where best needed, and not be in a hurry to get anything done. But they won't give in to much of any of your demands. Heck what you all are asking is basically a completely new labor agreement and asking for what amounts to approximately a 50% pay increase, and retroactively. That won't happen, and no one will move without some serious negotiating and one or the other just giving in. I don't see that happening right off the bat, and remember it's been more than 30 years since labor has even been taken seriously.

Phii

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Teal
So they strike tomorrow let's say. Trains in motion - I assume they'd roll to next stop and then the crew walks?

Yes, we tye up our working ticket and walk off property. If you are working to your away from home terminal (AFHT), there are already steps in place to get you to your home terminal. I more than likely will be working to my AFHT tomorrow when/if the strike happens.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Good luck. I’m not so sure the RR can afford a shut do for very long.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by taylorce1
So they strike tomorrow let's say. Trains in motion - I assume they'd roll to next stop and then the crew walks?

Yes, we tye up our working ticket and walk off property. If you are working to your away from home terminal (AFHT), there are already steps in place to get you to your home terminal. I more than likely will be working to my AFHT tomorrow when/if the strike happens.

Are the yard crews union too?

Me

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Want me to make an educated guess?
I'm not psychic and I no longer have current inside info, but I wouldn't be surprised if BLET president Pierce is betting on a favorable PEB appointed by Biden. And if it comes to that, I'd be surprised if that PEB didn't protect the railroads. Just Like Every Time.

We've already had a PEB board, we're just at the end of the 30 day cooling off period.

Thanks. I had forgotten the time line of the process there. Since I'm retired, my interest has slipped.

So Pierce was betting on a favorable PEB, but didn't get that in his opinion and the opinion of the rank & file (no surprise). The thing that gets me is how the rail union leadership (and mostly just the leadership) acts like they believe a Democrat administration will be their saviour, and barring that, a Democrat owned congress will allow a protracted strike. They entertain this fantasy (perhaps, selling the snake oil) every time, and every time, they're disappointed. And then the rank & file slap the leadership on the back and reelect the same group of leaders. I can guarantee that there are a lot of rails, including some local union leaders, who see the folly in this but they are outnumbered.

So - my expectation is that this will go just like almost every other contract negotiation of the last 40 years, and the PEB will be applied. I'm prepared to be surprised though, based on the current crop of Democrat politicians' penchant for doubling down on stupid. Ironically, I can't decide on which outcome I prefer. A protracted rail strike right now would not bode well for Democrats in the coming election, assuming we still actually have elections.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

On the class 1's? Yes.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
[/b]
Replacing retiring personnel has been a long going problem with all industries. More with some than others. [b]Railroad crews are treated like the lowly truck driver (like dirt), yet so many depend on them. Most of this strike talk is the fault of government and the lack of the FRA to follow through with promised minimums and better pay and hours of operation. FHA rules on minimum crew size has been promised for decades, and still nothing. Pay, the average engineer makes less than $25 an hour, and permanently on a short on-call list. Don't report when called, even when ill results in heavy penalties and in some cases being dismissed. Generally, I'm on the side of the unions, but with the railroads for far too long the unions have pretty much been on the same side as management.

I believe this time around a strike is very well possible, and one lasting for 30 days or more. And again, the FRA will promise better regulation and do nothing.

Phil

I can agree with that. My buddy retired and then a year later rehired, promised a lot of bucks to work 3 more years. He made 100k as an engineer .

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 09/14/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

On the class 1's? Yes.

Thanks. I have some product "in transit" from San Diego to Chicago, curious as to what's gonna happen with it

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

On the class 1's? Yes.

Thanks. I have some product "in transit" from San Diego to Chicago, curious as to what's gonna happen with it

All I can say is that in my 38 year career, the longest strike I can recall was something just short of 3 days. And that was with Democrats in charge. I recall others that lasted hours, and at least one that was stopped by injunction before it even began. Like I said, the Railway Labor Act was designed to limit the effects of strikes.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not unless labor just folds and completely gives into management. The union couldn't have picked a worse time to strike, period.

Again the Federal Government will not allow a railroad strike to go on long if at all. It will have nothing to do with labor folding, and labor isn't folding that's why we're looking at a strike at 00:01 EST Friday. When would be a good time to strike in your opinion?

We didn't pick this time to strike, it is just when it is happening. Contract negotiations after 2+ years failed. A PEB was held, we went back to the table and negotiations failed again. Would it be better to strike five years from now, when the next contract negotiations fail?

I also don't know where you're getting your numbers. If you want to know exactly what we asked for at the PEB, what was offered by the railroads, and what the PEB recommend then click on the link. It's 125 pages and pretty dry.

PEB 250 Recommendations

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Its Phil....he gets his numbers out of his ass.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pay, the average engineer makes less than $25 an hour, and permanently on a short on-call list.

Phil

Which Class 1 is keeping engineers on at $25?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Pay, the average engineer makes less than $25 an hour, and permanently on a short on-call list.

Phil

This one. The only one Phil has ever been around.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Phil

This one. The only one Phil has ever been around.

OOoooo. Thats a good'un if you can get hired on.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Best of luck to you. Ignore Gayghost as he’s an idiot.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I retired from BNSF in June after 19 years, but I am still getting the emails. I just got off a Zoom meeting with my local union and it looks like the strike will happen. Both the BLET and SMRT will officially go on strike tomorrow night (or Friday morning, however you want to look at it) at 12:01 which is the earliest they legally can. The companies came out with an offer this afternoon that was laughable from what I was just told. Also, the machinists union, which had struck a tentative agreement, voted that agreement down today. Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Biden will go to Delaware for the weekend.....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Phil

A shortline engineer possibly? Not any Class 1 railroads. The least I've been paid is $2500 a half as an engineer Jun 23-July 18 of this year. I was working the Local and had the job annulled because of lack of manpower. Normally I make $4500 a half and put in 55 hours a week.

That's $40 an hour and the lowest paying job as an engineer at my terminal. However, it had a set schedule and two days off a week. I enjoyed that for a little over a year, unti Hi-Viz screwd things up and people with more seniority wanted time off.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Not unless labor just folds and completely gives into management. The union couldn't have picked a worse time to strike, period.

Again the Federal Government will not allow a railroad strike to go on long if at all. It will have nothing to do with labor folding, and labor isn't folding that's why we're looking at a strike at 00:01 EST Friday. When would be a good time to strike in your opinion?

We didn't pick this time to strike, it is just when it is happening. Contract negotiations after 2+ years failed. A PEB was held, we went back to the table and negotiations failed again. Would it be better to strike five years from now, when the next contract negotiations fail?

I also don't know where you're getting your numbers. If you want to know exactly what we asked for at the PEB, what was offered by the railroads, and what the PEB recommend then click on the link. It's 125 pages and pretty dry.

PEB 250 Recommendations

Do you remember the uproar when Reagan just replaced the ATC strikers that would not come to work? That move turned every union into a slush fund for the Demrats. Do you really think Biden is going to stand up against the unions? Oddly twice Biden has supported the Railroads already. Be interesting to see if Biden supports the workers or the sold out union heads and the Railroads.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1911a1, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,724
Posts18,514,268
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.