Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
If you were buying a No.1 action or complete gun for the action how much would you realisticly expect to pay?
I know there are deals to be had if one is not in a hurry and has a pocket full of luck but I am not talking about exceptional deals, real life here.

I am one gun away from happy
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
New complete rifles run ~700. Used complete rifles hold their value pretty well, but some of the more common B and other models can be found for ~500. I haven't run across just the action, but a friend that posts here did and is building a custom off of it. I'd try to get an older two screw model (or is it the three screw?). Anywho, the current generation triggers are not adjustable.

I'd love to hear your plan if you are willing to lay it out.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The reason I ask is I have found a No.1 in 6ppc. I spoke with the owner and he is unable to photograph it.
I really WANT a No.1 in 6ppc! I am trying to figure out a worst case price for the rifle.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm thinking Prostrate 8 should buy up all those $500 Ruger #1s and bring them out here to my neck of the woods. He'd make a nifty little profit. I snagged two #1Bs for $620 each and I stole them. There were about 12 #1s for sale at the gun show and the average price was $695 and that's without a scope. Both of mine were scoped. I collect ruger #1s and believe me, the prices on used ones has climbed substantially in the last three year here where I live.

It's hard to say what that rig is worth. Is it scoped? Do the reloading dies, brass and loading data go with it? I guess the bottom line is, how much is it worth to you? Only you can answer that question.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm thinking Prostrate 8 should buy up all those $500 Ruger #1s and bring them out here to my neck of the woods.

I'm not saying they are in great shape (and I'm not saying there are tons available), but a couple I've seen perfectly acceptable for donor status (especially if one is case coloring the receiver, ie refinishing the metal).

IC B2

W
W
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
If you were buying a No.1 action or complete gun for the action how much would you realisticly expect to pay?
I know there are deals to be had if one is not in a hurry and has a pocket full of luck but I am not talking about exceptional deals, real life here.

I gave $550 for a #1 in .338 for a custom build project.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I don't know how much luck you've had with Ruger #1's. My luck has been "fair". (The two 1A's I have shot 1.5 to 2" groups, which isn't as bad as some reported performance but it's not what I want.)

If you want one in 6PPC that actually groups tight, you might just look for a reasonably priced rifle (I find $750 commonly) and send it off for a rebarreling in 6PPC. If you don't want to deal with forend bedding, send it to a gunsmith that handles that.

I'm anxiously waiting for mine to come back with new Pac-Nor barrels in new Wenig 1B-type laminated stocks.

If they shoot well, I'll post some results. (If not, I'll see about having my head examined.)

.30-06 Springfield: 100 yrs + and still going strong
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If what you found is an original factory 6 PPC it will be worth way more than the run of the mill # 1. I haven't seen one priced below $ 1000. in the past three years, and I look for them and the 22 PPC a lot.
S/S

Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
The reason I ask is I have found a No.1 in 6ppc. I spoke with the owner and he is unable to photograph it.
I really WANT a No.1 in 6ppc! I am trying to figure out a worst case price for the rifle.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Single Shot
If what you found is an original factory 6 PPC it will be worth way more than the run of the mill # 1. I haven't seen one priced below $ 1000. in the past three years, and I look for them and the 22 PPC a lot.
S/S

I am going to wait until this is in my hands before I say much. I am buying this from an older gentleman that could not provide pics but is giving me a 3 day inspection. He has told me the round count and that this is an original 6ppc.
I have Ruger M77VT's in 22ppc and 6ppc, the next step is to find them in a No.1 and now it seems I am half way there!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Good Luck on your find,
The 22 PPC may be much harder to find, the Ruger # 1 group keeps serial number records on theses, at this time they only have 5 listed as original # 1's in 22 PPC, the 6 PPC has 9 listed. This may give you some idea as to how hard they are to come by. If you would like to check out the serial number records for your self check out the Ruger # 1 group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ruger-1 your serial number may already be listed, if not let the moderator of the group know and he will add it to the records.
S/S

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You should seriously look at my 6BR if you are interested in a PPC. It's for sale, a great shooter with performance beyond the PPC and because it has a fast twist, can shoot the heavier bullets, very well. My gun would save you hundreds over building one.

If you are using an all out custom bolt gun for benchrest, PPC may be the way to go, but all else for a small 6mm, you need to look into the BR round. I never have nor have interest in PPC but that's just me. PM if you want more details.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Hi 65BR,
I think what Hairtrigger is buying is an original # 1-V in 6 PPC, if so it's a two way street with a gun like that, it should shoot great and can also be sold to a collector.

The one I have shoots in the mid two's, not bad for a factory gun, in fact I shot it in the annual Ruger # 1 Bench Rest Shoot this year and it shot very well, today is the last day for the shoot so will know in about a week how well it did.

Most all of the bolt action bench rest records are held with the 6 PPC cartridge because of it's accuracy, I don't see any reason why the traditional Single Shot Rifle records should not be able to do the same.

Any way If Hairtrigger is not interested in your 6 BR I may be, cant hurt for me to have two 6 mm's, let me know some details about it such as what size groups will it shoot at 100 yds., who built it, what barrel is on it, what comes with it, brass, dies, etc., I don't need a scope, have more scopes than I need now, and the most important thing, how much.
S/S

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I am buying the 6ppc because I know they are not that common. As far as the 6br, I will not notice any difference as I will be using it on occasion on woodchucks rarely beyond 250 yards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Singleshot, here you go:

Ruger #1 26" bbl tapered to exaclty match a #1 Varmint contour, all work done by Pac-Nor, scope base w/o rib for utmost accuracy, Kepplinger set trigger, no neck turn min spec saami reamer/chamber. Custom forearm glass bedded. Trigger 8 ounces when set!

Gun has shot 3 shots .498 group at 330 yds with 105 amax and 16x scope. Consistently very accurate rifle, shot several .5 MOA or better groups. Conditions and my holding dictates.

Taken to the range a few times, and hunting deer/coyotes, never got to go on a prairie dog hunt. Only fired approx. 300 rounds, LOTS of shooting in this gun! Recent Chrono'd loads shot 2840-2850 fps w/105s and 70 gr TNT's clocked over 3400 fps. Most of my shooting is done at 200 as that is where I sight in for hunting. What I CAN tell you is I shot a group one day, that bettered an all out custom i.e. BAT/STOLLE very heavy bbl 6BRM at 100 yds. It has impressed me, and many others.

$950 shipped to FFL CONUS comes with original box, scope base/rings.

Cost to build more than $1,500 including gun, barrel work, and Kepplinger trigger.

3 day inspection, never had a gun returned

This rifle needs a home where it sees the sun and gets used. Been so accurate and deadly in the field, honestly I got bored and playing with new projects.

So, if you want to give it a try, risk free, let me know. PM best, thanks.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
That is a nice price , $200 for tha trigger alone.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

That is a very good price, like Hairtrigger said, the trigger is $ 200., the barrel must go for at least $ 400. +, that would put the rest of the gun at about $ 350. I can no longer hunt because of health reasons so would only be using it for shooting local matches at 100 yds. unfortunately just yesterday I made a comment for a 30 ppc to be made, cost will be about $ 1050. and then I will have to buy dies, so I will have to pass on it. Someone should buy it at $ 950. as I don't think any one will build one for that price.
S/S

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The good news is I have received the rifle. The bore and crown look good.
The bad news is the rifle has rust and pits almost everywhere. The wood has water damage as well. My interest in this rifle is that it is a factory PPC.
I am thinking of sending it back to Ruger. How much does the factory need to work with? Having them refinish the metal will not remove the pits.....
I can post pics later but need advise

Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a good candidate for Turnbull's work. A case colored receiver sure is a nice touch for a custom. Great American Gun Stocks (GAGS) can carve a new stick out of your wood or theirs. I came across a case colored steel grip cap and buttplate for a Win M70 not to long ago on ebay. I'd even have the action screw nitre blued.

Ohhhh, Ahhhhh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Took my 6BR to the range late today. Shot a .4 group today in the wind at 100 yds with 105's. Gun is a proven shooter. Great trigger and barrel is VERY fresh, just broken in really.

Uses Lapua, and all brass, throated for 105's to seat at neck/S jucture.

28.5 Varget getting 2840 fps, non moly. Have shot 70gr TNT about same accuracy @3400 fps.

If that you decide you want a gun with FRESH bluing, no rust/pits, that is READY to go shoot, let me know. 3 days inspection - full refund if you are not happy.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Sounds like a winner with a little load work, I'm surprised that you still have it.
I'm still working on having a 30 PPC built and low on cash, if I wasn't involved in that project I would have been interested. Or would you be interested in a trade ?, I tend to have a lot of different stuff if your looking for something special.

Remember I mentioned that I shot the factory 6 PPC # 1-V in the annual Ruger # 1 Bench Rest Shoot this year, well it set a new World Record for a Ruger # 1 in the Class B event, shot a .392 and a .492 for an average of .442. it has shot in the mid two's many times but of course not when I shot for Record. I think it's a keeper and come Spring I'll be doing more load work with it. I was shooting 70 Gr. Berger bullets and Vihta Vuori N-133 powder, maybe will invest in some custom bullets just to see if it makes a difference.
S/S

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

49 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 257_X_50, 6MMWASP, 907brass, 9 invisible), 1,451 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,080
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.