Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DHN
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I find it funny that 20 years ago, nuclear energy was baaaad. The green people were 1000% against it, but..... now that those same green people realize that there will never be enough solar and wind generated electricity to meet their needs, they have decided that nuclear energy is green.

All they are is a bunch of dumbasses!
similar thing with shopping bags - 40-50 years ago paper bags were bad, using up too many trees, chemical polution, etc. Now plastic is bad, let's use a renewable resource.

I was reading something the other day and the guy wrote to control people you create an object of panic and convince them there will be consequences if these objects of panic are not stopped. The things described above as well as climate change and domestic terrorists are all objects of panic. There are lots more.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I responded to one of Musk's tweets the other day that in order to support EV's it would take more nuclear plants. I just read one of his tweets today calling to start up nuclear plants and build more.
You should be on his payroll.
lol, sure he already thought this out.

BFD, Roger, he can afford us.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Look up Thorium reactor. In the late 60’s at Oak Ridge they operated a thorium reactor successfully. It is much safer than uranium but in 1973 our government decided to go with uranium. Thorium reactors are safer to operate and generate electricity well.
Fissile fuel is still the most efficient and viable for transportation. Wind and solar are Chinese boondoggles. They destroy our environment, land and electricity transport on meager production that is largely unproductive a lot of the year. Their maintenance far out weighs any benefits. They serve to enrich China and drain our wealth.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The technology has come leaps and bounds since the reactors of the 70’s and 80’s. They can use spent fuel nowadays too.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The safest and most permanent way to dispose of nuclear (or nukular, take your pick) waste is to encase it i glass and deposit it on the ocean floor at the junction of almost any tectonic plate subduction zone. It will be carried down into the earth's mantle from there and transformed into magma - which is exactly where it came from.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now, that is something I would like to know more about, Rocky. Best solution by far!

Ted

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I responded to one of Musk's tweets the other day that in order to support EV's it would take more nuclear plants. I just read one of his tweets today calling to start up nuclear plants and build more.
You should be on his payroll.
lol, sure he already thought this out.

IMO you're 100% correct. Musk is head and shoulders smarter than the collective Campfire.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It takes 20 years to plan and build a nuke, counting all the impact statements, permits, etc. The left will likely make it much longer with all their lawsuits. They need to get started NOW.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
California is having rolling blackouts. Recently their governor (Democrat, what else?) signed a bill into law that everyone in the state would have to buy an electric car!

No explanation for how they are going to provide electricity for all those new cars.

Last edited by czech1022; 09/15/22.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Modern “nucular” isn’t three mile island “nucular”. Low carbon foot print. Smaller and more local. Cheaper to build. Long production life. Cheap long term energy.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Rufous is right. While not exactly what I’d call inconsequential nuclear waste is easily handled and stored.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
I agree 100% with Musk. We should get 100% of our base load from nuclear power. People wring their hands about nuclear power but ignore the environmental costs of all other forms of electricity production. A modern nuclear plant is to an old 50’s-60’s nuclear plant as a model T ford is to a brand new 2022 car. A modern nuclear power plant is extremely safe and clean. I lived just a few miles from a coal fired plant for a few years and the ash falling on my truck was heck on the paint. I wonder what else the ash was hurting ? I’m not a anthropomorphic climate change believer but pollution is a real problem and nuclear power is the cleanest and most reliable power source available. We mine the least , transport the least , have the highest reliability with nuclear power.
As for electric cars I think they’re an unworkable substitute for petroleum powered vehicles.

There still is no safe way to store used rods used in the reactors
That's false. Dry cask storage is used worldwide. Very simple process. If it weren't for dry cask storage most all nuke plants would be shut down already due to lack of space in the spent fuel pool. Plants weren't ever meant to be ran as long as they have but thanks to DCS all of our nuclear fleet has a much extended lifespan.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Rufous is right. While not exactly what I’d call inconsequential nuclear waste is easily handled and stored.

Not only is it easily stored the newer technologies allow step down reactors to be built that will use the fuel rods that are no longer viable through their initial use. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Georgia Power & Electric's Plant Vogtle is the only nuclear plant currently under construction. It is $30 billion plant that has experienced massive cost overruns and delays - hardly surprising as nuclear plants are not exactly cookie cutter builds. But once operational, they will be the largest power production facility in the US.

But it ain't all peaches and cream - we're paying for it through higher utility rates.

The future is going to be Advanced Small Modular Reactors. They will be far quicker and cheaper to deploy and build.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 45_100
Originally Posted by DHN
I find it funny that 20 years ago, nuclear energy was baaaad. The green people were 1000% against it, but..... now that those same green people realize that there will never be enough solar and wind generated electricity to meet their needs, they have decided that nuclear energy is green.

similar thing with shopping bags - 40-50 years ago paper bags were bad, using up too many trees, chemical polution, etc. Now plastic is bad, let's use a renewable resource.

I was reading something the other day and the guy wrote to control people you create an object of panic and convince them there will be consequences if these objects of panic are not stopped. The things described above as well as climate change and domestic terrorists are all objects of panic. There are lots more.

Sounds like you read the book "State of Fear" by Micheal Chrichton. There's about a 5 or 6 page dissertation where one man is schooling another on how dot gov uses fear to control WE THE PEOPLE. I read that book about five years ago. When the covid crap started up, that conversation in the book was almost the script for what followed. Kind of like deja vu all over again. That was probably one of the reasons I refused to wear a mask unless absolutely forced to do so and for the record, I never experienced covid 19. Still refuse the mask except at the doctors or for my chemo treatments where I have no choice in the matter. When confronted by some snowflake at the store I ask back, I'm not afraid. are you afraid? are you living in fear? I'm not and it's probly because I read that novel over five years ago. Old age or that damn cancer may kill me. Might even be a jealous husband but to live in fear of a virus I can't see, no way Jose!
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only two things holding back nuclear in this country are fear and ignorance.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Use the depleted uranium for A-10 ammo.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
High Level Nuclear Waste is strictly a political problem. We spent billions to build a facility at Yucca mountain to safely store it. Harry Reid and Obama killed it. It would all fit on one football field 10 yards deep.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DHN

They have visions of denuded hills, all the trees cut for paper. The fools can't realize that trees are grown as a farm crop. They aren't wild trees. The only difference between farm trees and corn is that corn takes 1 season while trees take many seasons. Some species don't even have to be replanted. They're cut off at the ground and immediately they resprout from the stump.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

As usual, the man is correct. He didn't build his immense fortune by being ignorant.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,149 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,047
Posts18,482,245
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.