Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atomchaser
High Level Nuclear Waste is strictly a political problem. We spent billions to build a facility at Yucca mountain to safely store it. Harry Reid and Obama killed it. It would all fit on one football field 10 yards deep.

Keep it in your back yard, then.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I responded to one of Musk's tweets the other day that in order to support EV's it would take more nuclear plants. I just read one of his tweets today calling to start up nuclear plants and build more.

As usual, the man is correct. He didn't build his immense fortune by being ignorant.

He's not an idiot, but I wish people here would stop sucking his dick. I'd wager his iq is around 130.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
I agree 100% with Musk. We should get 100% of our base load from nuclear power. People wring their hands about nuclear power but ignore the environmental costs of all other forms of electricity production. A modern nuclear plant is to an old 50’s-60’s nuclear plant as a model T ford is to a brand new 2022 car. A modern nuclear power plant is extremely safe and clean. I lived just a few miles from a coal fired plant for a few years and the ash falling on my truck was heck on the paint. I wonder what else the ash was hurting ? I’m not a anthropomorphic climate change believer but pollution is a real problem and nuclear power is the cleanest and most reliable power source available. We mine the least , transport the least , have the highest reliability with nuclear power.
As for electric cars I think they’re an unworkable substitute for petroleum powered vehicles.

There still is no safe way to store used rods used in the reactors

We've been storing them safely for fifty or sixty years now. Zero impact on human health or the environment. The total volume encompassed by all the spent fuel ever generated is so inconsequential you have to wonder why people aren't embarrassed to complain about it.
Well, except for the spent fuel that overheated at Fu ki shima.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Musk can see that he'd sell a lot more Teslas if there were nukes to power them. Windmills aren't going to get it done.
Gavin just signed a bill in CA that requires EV's by 2035. That's just enough time to build some nukes if they start NOW. I can't see them getting it done. The CA liberals will fight them all the way and when the state shuts down from lack of power, they'll just cry that it's Trump's fault.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm inclined to say: Fossil fuel and hang the communist, but we'll never be like the Jetson's with fossil fuels. I'd kinda like a flying car. But with nukes we create a national weakness. Meltdowns have occurred and will so again. Radiation for a 1000 years? Fug that.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The guy may be flaky at times but he's not stupid. He also has said that we need to increase fossil fuel supplies until the alternatives are more capable. As opposed to the typical idiot liberal who wants the world economy to tank and Europe to freeze as incentives to adopt their policies.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Neucular 😁
Calm down George,

Calm down.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I do not care for the chump. Matter of fact he can kiss my ass

He's made my ass a little bit richer than poor, riding his stock right on up. He's smarter than we are, I wager.

He doesn't care for "Woke", and he has my good graces for that. I love the way he's playing Twitter for the Twatter they are.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by atomchaser
High Level Nuclear Waste is strictly a political problem. We spent billions to build a facility at Yucca mountain to safely store it. Harry Reid and Obama killed it. It would all fit on one football field 10 yards deep.

Spot on reply! Yucca Mountain was ready to go but thanks to Reid and Obama spent fuel rods (still with lots of fuel if reprocessed) are stored at every nuclear power plant. Jimmy Carter killed the fuel reprocessing in the US.

Last edited by CraigD; 09/16/22.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Gladly. All you need is deep mine in stable formation. Finland just opened a repository for their high level waste. Better yet, start reprocessing it. Spent fuel can be recycled and used again, greatly reducing waste volumes.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All EVs would only make sense if they expect a sudden, huge population drop.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Vaccines

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Vaccines
Imagine that...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It takes 20 years to plan and build a nuke, counting all the impact statements, permits, etc. The left will likely make it much longer with all their lawsuits. They need to get started NOW.

Why, when their plan is to have less than 500 million people on earth in a few more years.

Right now they are working on convincing snowflakes there are not enough resources on earth to sustain billions of people without destroying Mother Earth, their new religion. Think Jim Jones magnified. Ex: Transgender sex change, sterilization with jabs, population reduction through toxic meds like Remdisivir,......

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I grew up a few miles from the OAK Ridge National Laboratory. My father worked for the NRC for a while as well. The molten salt reactors are fabulously safe, BUTTTT they aren't breeding reactors. That is the big hang-up in it's adoption. By a far margin, most reactors in the world are breeder reactors meaning you can make other isotopes with them, chiefly plutonium for nuclear bombs and enriched fuels, as well as radio active medical and industrial products. Yet once you have a couple of those running, you don't need more of them, but it becomes harder to sell the new designs to the bean counters who expect all of these other products to compensate for the cost even if that capacity won't really be used.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,343
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.