Print Thread
Hop To
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I thought that I’d ask you folks as I’m sure that many of you are a bit “sharper” than I am!

When shooting cast bullets through my S&W 460, I would occasionally get hit on the cheek by lead or powder coating….or both. I was blaming the factory muzzle break. Yesterday it seemed to be worse….probably about 1 of 3 shots fired. After nine shots, I looked like I’d fallen into a Rose Hedge! Thank goodness for good eye protection!!!

Close inspection showed some “smearing” on one or two of the cylinder holes.

How do I determine if it’s a “timing” issue, or perhaps a cylinder hole just off a bit?

Knowing that I will get shrapnel wounds when shooting is not conducive to precision shooting! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds like a timing issue. Call up Smith and send it in to get it looked at.
Their repairs are very inexpensive and the turnaround is pretty quick.
My buddy just got his revolver back from them after having the timing fixed (different model then yours)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unload the gun.

Slowly cock with the hammer while lightly dragging the cylinder with your thumb to provide some resistance.

Notice if the cylinder locks into place before the hammer. If so, you have a carry up problem.

Repeat for all 6 chambers (or how many ever chambers your gun has).

Last edited by K1500; 09/15/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If its not a timing then something is out of spec, crane, cylinder or barrel. Either way, a trip back to the factory is in your future.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb
How do I determine if it’s a “timing” issue, or perhaps a cylinder hole just off a bit?

A range rod available from Brownell's. Slide it down the bore through the cylinder throat - if it catches, there is an alignment/timing issue.

Range Rods

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can possibly actually see if the chambers are out of alignment. Just sight down the bore with a little light. I had a Ruger .22 that was very visibly out of whack, and spit lead out one side, and there was no tellin' where the rest of the bullet was going to end up. Had to send that one in and let them fix it.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by K1500
Unload the gun.

Slowly cock with the hammer while lightly dragging the cylinder with your thumb to provide some resistance.

Notice if the cylinder locks into place before the hammer. If so, you have a carry up problem.

Originally Posted by K1500
Unload the gun.

No expert here, but isn’t this backwards? Don’t you want the cylinder to lock up BEFORE the hammer?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, typo on my part. Hammer locks before cylinder=trouble.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hey guys……thanks for all of the help!

Here’s a photo yesterdays “fun at the range”! I should’ve taken the photo before shaving and showering…the impact spots were much more visible! 😁 My face didn’t look that bad when I was a teenager! ☹️ It’s challenging to maintain good groups when knowing that your gonna get stung! 😠 However, now I have an excuse for the occasional flyer…..I was only sending part of a bullet downrange! 🤪 memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by memtb; 09/15/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Make sure the sideplate screws are tight. This one got me out of time with a Colt.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Make sure the sideplate screws are tight. This one got me out of time with a Colt.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Centurion75
Sounds like a timing issue. Call up Smith and send it in to get it looked at.
Their repairs are very inexpensive and the turnaround is pretty quick.
My buddy just got his revolver back from them after having the timing fixed (different model then yours)

This and I suspect the cost will be nil, including shipping. At least that has been my experience.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have this repaired instead of using and 🤕. 💥 If you are brave enough to shoot this clunker at least use a face 🛡️.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I talked with Smith yesterday, and they said that they would likely cover!

However, sending my handgun across the country terrifies the “living hell” out of me……especially in today’s political atmosphere!

On a different note…..I plan on hunting with it this year. As I can see the smear marks on the cylinder mouths that are the culprits. So, I’ll not load those, should eliminate the “shrapnel” and also eliminate the “flyers”…..a win-win! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/16/22.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is not Janz, Korth, Colt Boa, or Manuhrin. I would send it to be fixed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (160user, 10Glocks, 3dtestify, AlleghenyMountain, 44mc, 7887mm08, 15 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,260
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.