Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nurse, 28, and her aunt, 60, are killed with their driver after their jeep plunged hundreds of feet over a cliff edge seconds after she posted a final picture of 'thrilling' route during off-road tour of Colorado's San Juan Mountains

By WALTER FINCH FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 04:50 EDT, 16 September 2022

shares

An aunt and niece were killed along with their tour driver when their jeep fell off the side of a cliff on a notoriously challenging trail in Colorado's San Juan Mountains on Monday.

Tourists Diana Robles, 28 and Ofelia Figueroa-Perez, 60, from Yuma, Arizona, and hired driver Don Fehd, 72, all died when their 2022 Jeep Gladiator tumbled over the the edge of Ouray County Road 361, also known as Camp Bird Road around midday on September 12.

The jeep, which was heading towards Ouray from the Yankee Boy Basin area, drifted off the road and immediately plummeted 100 feet to the bottom, before rolling 140 feet down a rocky embankment coming to final rest on its roof near the bank of Canyon Creek.

Fehd in the passenger seat was thrown from the vehicle, while the bodies of Robles and Figueroa-Perez were found still in their seats, police said.

Moments before the fatal crash, Robles had reportedly taken a snap of the iconic Imogene Pass, according to the New York Post.

It was the second deadly crash in the area in a week, with another Arizona resident killed and his wife injured when their all terrain vehicle suffered a similar disaster near Imogene Pass, the Daily Press reported.

Camp Bird Road is a totally unpaved 'narrow, picturesque mountain road,' according to Dangerous Roads , and those who venture along it should have a 'four-wheel drive and no fear of heights'

Fehd was described as being 'quirky and genuine' with guests who climbed into his jeep by Jeff Lindberg, the owner of the tour company.

Robles and Figueroa-Perez had hired the jeep and Fehd as part of a tour with Colorado West Jeep Rentals and Tours.

According to the State Patrol Trooper Josh Lewis, alcohol, drugs, weather and speed were not suspected factors in the incident, with both customers wearing their seatbelt.

It is unknown whether Fehd was also wearing his seatbelt.

The vehicle in question was a white 2022 Jeep Gladiator, rented from Colorado West Jeep Rentals and Tours (file photo)

It is home to the iconic Imogene Pass, a mountain pass 13,000 feet above sea level - and the second highest drivable pass in Colorado - that Robles had reportedly taken a snap of.

'The route demands 100 per cent concentration,' Dangerous Roads say, and has a 15mph speed limit.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
whoops

Sam......

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Ive driven that road. It’s not that bad and is somewhat wide where they went off. Problem is there are no guardrails and the drops are severe. If you lose concentration it obviously can be fatal.

The driver was very experienced so not sure what happened. Been following this on some FB Jeep pages since it happened.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Population control,Colorado style. smile

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Bad day all the way around.

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
If I was 72 (the guide) and I’m not far from that, I sure wouldn’t be a passenger in a vehicle on a dangerous mountain road driven by a person I don’t know, especially a women.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've driven all over the San Juan Mountains. Spent Summers in Creede fishing and would venture out 4 wheeling in dad's K5 Blazer. Saw a lot of booboos and helped out a few stuck tourists. But that was years ago. Now Creede is overrun with tourists and all the trails are full of the clueless.

I am not worried about the trails, but the tourists will scare the hell out of you.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This clip has been floating around the web for a couple of years. I assume conditions must be similar - major pucker factor, not the place to be screwing around.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dang,
Someone is gonna have to pay one hefty price to retrieve that vehicle.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fenton
If I was 72 (the guide) and I’m not far from that, I sure wouldn’t be a passenger in a vehicle on a dangerous mountain road driven by a person I don’t know, especially a women.

Says the 72 year old was a "hired driver".

As a truck driver trainer, experience can be a bad thing.

Most accidents were among the under 6 month experience guys.
Trailer doors and mirrors ripped off. Poles hit....

It's was the guys with 2-3+ years experience that had way fewer incidents.
They were also much more likely to kill someone.

Complacency is a killer.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Driver probably stroked out or some schit. Bad deal all the way around.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i've driven or been a passenger over some of those mountain roads in the Ouray and Siverton area. Some of the shelf roads are so narrow and/or rough that they require 100% of the driver's concentration 99% of the time. Once the snow has melted enough for the roads to open there are probably more tourists than residents in San Juan County every weekend between Memorial and Labor Day. Heck, even US580, the main north-south road between Durango and Montrose, requires constant driver attention in the Million Dollar Highway section between Silverton and Ouray to keep the vehicle between the lines.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
This clip has been floating around the web for a couple of years. I assume conditions must be similar - major pucker factor, not the place to be screwing around.

That would be a crazy thing to witness.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Ride a horse, save a Jeep 😳😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Dang,
Someone is gonna have to pay one hefty price to retrieve that vehicle.

Jamie Diamond is on his way….

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Ride a horse, save a Jeep 😳😁

I would rather ride a unicycle than a horse.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 09/16/22.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im tryna come up with a dollar figure of how much you would have to pay me to be in a vehicle on one of those roads.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Originally Posted by Tide_Change

That would be a crazy thing to witness.

They survived that crash. They had a dog that got thrown out and survived as well. The pup was lost for a few days, it was found by another jeeper.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

It also says “Fehd in the passenger seat was thrown from the vehicle”.

Poorly written/edited article.

Bad deal, in any event.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

It also says “Fehd in the passenger seat was thrown from the vehicle”.

Poorly written/edited article.

Bad deal, in any event.

No wonder they crashed with the guy driving from the passenger seat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,050
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.