Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What say you? Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, garden to garden?

Several states allow for human bodies to be composted. Are you ready for your kids to garden with you one more time and let you help feed the grand kids for another couple of years?

https://www.greenmatters.com/p/human-composting-facility

Human composting, an eco-friendly alternative to traditional burial, has already been made legal in Colorado, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington. Plus, states including California, Illinois, Massachusetts, and New York have introduced legislation to legalize the process. So as the carbon neutral burial process grows in legality across the nation, more and more human composting facilities and funeral homes are springing up.

Thinking about your end of life can be scary — and made even scarier when considering the high environmental impacts of traditional death practices such as burial and cremation.

So if you are interested in learning more about human composting and your body returning to the earth when you leave this planet, keep reading for a look into a few of the innovative funeral homes leading the way in human composting, aka natural organic reduction.

Recompose, which is based in Kent, Wash., is a full-service funeral home that works directly with clients and families for empathetic end-of-life processes. After a client passes away, for 30 days, the Recompose team regularly mixes the body with soil, alfalfa, woodchips, and straw in a Recompose vessel.

Once the body has fully turned into soil, they remove any items that did not break down, such as dental fillings or metal pins and screws, and recycle them; the soil is then moved to a bin for several more weeks to cure and dry. Recompose will then offer some topsoil to the person’s loved ones; otherwise, it will be donated to a conservation partner.

Recompose’s full-service burial (including local transportation of the body, the entire natural organic reduction process, death certificate filing, an online obituary, and more) costs​ $7,000. The company’s services are open to people anywhere; but you’ll be responsible for paying to transport the body to Washington.

Not only was Recompose the first licensed human composting funeral home to open in the U.S., but Recompose and its founder Katrina Spade actually inspired a Washington bill to legalize the process in the state back in 2019. Additionally, the Recompose team is also helping pave the way for other states to legalize human composting, which you can learn more about on the public policy section of Recompose’s website. The company is also planning to open a second location by the end of 2022, in Colorado.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want my buds to use me for chum for their offshore fishing trips.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After composting, Aunt Bessy has the same effect on plants as cow manure.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
$7,000 to compost or $1200+/- direct cremation.....

'Green' ain't cheap.....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Being green is about the wealthy 'paying their fair share' except for the liberal wealthy with the proper loopholes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
God seems to care enough about my body that He promises a resurrection & glorification of it, and therefore Christians have historically buried their dead when possible.

So that’s where I tend to lean…

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
My preference is to be laid out for the ravens and other scavengers. Otherwise, natural decomposition in the ground should work. It seems fine in our pet cemetery. Wrap the dearly departed in a burlap bag and put them in the dirt. GD

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by efw
God seems to care enough about my body that He promises a resurrection & glorification of it, and therefore Christians have historically buried their dead when possible.

I tend to think that if 'whatever is going to happen later' is incumbent on, dependent, or affected by what we do, or is done, to a deceased body, then we would have been told what to do with it.....

JMHO....

Last edited by Muffin; 09/16/22.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Dutch only gave us a narrow set of choices...Soylent Green seems the most likely trend if the One True Party of the donkey maintains power..one way or another.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I think that is a dangerous remark, considering the OP appears to be in the fish farming business, don't give him ideas.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Lay me out in the desert or forest and everything can take it's share.

Kent

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Seems to me that if they just put you in the ground without embalming, without a steel coffin or concrete vault, the same thing would be accomplished. Me, I will be cremated.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40
Seems to me that if they just put you in the ground without embalming, without a steel coffin or concrete vault, the same thing would be accomplished. Me, I will be cremated.
Embalming is a creepy practice, so are wakes with an embalmed corpse laying in a box and having people stare at it. Saw both my parents that way and I guarantee it ain't going to happen to me. Throw me in the ground without a box and call it good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw

Are you suggesting that God is incapable of resurrecting a cremated body?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Simply cremated.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Cremated for sure

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by efw

How much of the body is left for those buried 2-300 years ago?

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Wood chipper?

Pre or post mortem? wink

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Don’t care….I’ll be dead

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cremation seems to be the quickest ,easiest and most economical . Wife can spread my ashes off the back of my horse on our favorite trails.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 56 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,436
Posts18,489,374
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.