Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by mark shubert
"Old" defines this area - the oldest govt building, in continuous use, is west of me ~ 40 miles.
Indian teepee rings a couple of hundred yards from one of my gates.
The Folsom Point was found near Folsom, NM. less than 30 miles from our ranch at Raton.
Define "old" smile

PM sent.

GB4

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I went squirrel hunting this morning in the same patch of woods where I first started hunting them as a boy back in the '70's.

That’s become exceedingly rare to be able to hunt the places you did as a child. I’m blessed to be able to hunt the same places I did decades ago and I’ve been able to take my children to those same sacred spots.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The bottom of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison cut out of precambrian rock

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blanket
Old in your life, four heavens sake I have been on the plains where time began talking family

I know what you mean, when I am in Maryland, near Aberdeen, sometimes I stop by our old house on Sherwood Lane, not recognizable to me anymore. When in Sevierville (only a couple hours away now), I go by the last place I lived with my folks, on Allansville Rd, and when the Mrs. and I were in Germany for Oktoberfest in 2000, I took her by the old brown apartments where we lived when dad was stationed there around the early 70's. 2C Rhinestrasse, right next to gate 3, Campbell Barracks. That's all gone back to the krauts now, so glad we took the time back then.
As an army brat and later a sailor, we've left a lot of places and gone somewhere's else.

Last edited by OMCHamlin; 09/16/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Earth?

Right.

A great place too.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blanket
Old in your life, four heavens sake I have been on the plains where time began talking family

Your thread title doesn't make that clear and is open to the reader's interpretation. Perhaps something like, Old Haunts You Have Revisited . . .

Nobody likes grammar nazis but clarity is king.

On topic, about 10 years ago I tried to visit a couple of spots on Fool Hollow Lake, near Show Low, AZ, where I used to camp and fish as a teenager, both solo and with family. No dice. It had gone all Parks and Recreation. It was still pretty wild when I was a kid. Rutted dirt roads, no groomed campgrounds, no fees, no time limit that was ever actually enforced. Had some good times there, was one of my favorites places growing up. Made me sad.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I just went and watched my daughter graduated from the University in Urbina Italy, according to them it dates back to 1021,

Proud papa moment, she graduated in a language which she had no formal training in

Attached Images
Last edited by Hairtrigger; 09/17/22.

I am one gun away from happy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
I just went and watched my daughter graduated from the University in Urbina Italy, according to them it dates back to 1021,

Proud papa moment, she graduated in a language which she had no formal training in

Italian is a great language .... met my wife over there, spent many years over there. Le Marche is a beautiful region. They're having some flooding issues in that region lately. Congrats to your Daughter BTW. Once you learn Italian you can-pretty much communicate with all the other Latin languages.

My nickname over there, amongst my peers, was Gallo Pazzesco.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Occasionally, I make a run to some 550 acres my family used to own . It is now part of Pa sgl 269. I usually go past where the store used to be, and take a left to go down the dirt road then hang a right and go to where the old house used to be. Then I park where the old dock used to be, and look out on the big pond that used to have a lot of dead trees in it. I can still see all of that.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Meadowcroft Pa.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't have access to any hunting and fishing spots I had as a kid. Wish I did.
A few years back I was granted the opportunity to hunt shark's teeth, etc at Devil's backbone which I frequented often 45 yrs ago.

As far as "old places" as in human construction/civilization.
1. Great Wall of China. too many times.
2. Excavation site in Old Vienna from a few thousand years ago.
3. Some castles near Bristol England circa 1000 a.d.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
St Augustine is not far from here. It's about as old a place as you will find in America

Sam......

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Took this picture Wednesday, Pond in a waterway, there's a ladder stand on the right a friend of mine put in there for a hunt 15 years ago and never took it out.

Anyway it's a hidden area where I first found big bull elk during an archery hunt in the 80s, killed my first mature bull here, it's the reason I committed to archery elk hunting early in my hunting life.

Feral horses have taken over the area around for miles and the elk have mostly moved out, it's a shame what has been allowed to happen.

I still visited the spot and went over in my mind those memories years ago, used to kill elk in there for years.

Kent

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
One would be, the Old Fort, at Fort Sill.

The jailcell where they held Germino.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde national park. Settled in the 500's abandoned in the 1200's.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dubrovnik Croatia

More locally, Pictured Rocks.

Me

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
i guess the oldest for me is Jamestown. Still go to the hunting area I’ve hunted since 1974. Dad was hunting it in 1947. We’ll be there this year too if the good Lord allows it.

Last edited by MarkWV; 09/17/22.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I pass the spot where I Kilt my first deer in 1972 just about every day. It’s up on a small ridge here on the place. I suppose I could go up there a carve something like “Kaywoodie kilt a derr here in 1972" on a live oak. But I think more of the tree than that. 🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Hunting grounds in Rusk County Wisconsin . Hasn't changed too much . some county land , some private , some family farms.

However, for old The Fellsenmeer near where we hunt.

Attached Images
074_blue_hills.jpg (12.18 KB, 176 downloads)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
Dubrovnik Croatia

Flown there twice headed elsewhere, if there's another chance we'll spend more time there. Gotta walk the old fort walls after a few shots of schlivovitz.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (160user, 007FJ, 1234, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,919
Posts18,479,696
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.