Looks like a nice summer evening.

Do you pull 'em through the ice too?

"Every day above ground is a good day."
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Do you pull 'em through the ice too?

Not nearly as well as I do in the summer, but I get a few. Pictured fish is 8 pounds.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice RAS! We catch them on Middle Island Creek. Tough chore at times. Excellent eaters. Been awhile since I’ve been.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I never fished for or eaten walleye. Are they surface feeders too? Can they be readily taken with a fly rod?

Never fished them with a fly rod, but I sometimes hook into them as bycatch in pretty shallow water (2-3') on rivers when I'm after carp and redhorse, so I imagine it's well within the realm of doing fly fishing.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Spent many happy hours in the UP. Mother in law grew up in the Stonington Peninsula, the eastern side of Little Bay de Noc. Used to tell about walking across on the ice to sell butter and eggs in Escanaba, and taking the trip by boat in the summer. A neighbor went through the ice with his sleigh and horses.

Mother in laws family came from Sweden when she was two, in 1904. That was wild country in those days. Her father died when she was still a little girl, and her mother was left with three daughters and a little farm to make a life on. My wife has the little notebook where the gifts from the neighbors are listed when her father passed. Fifty cents from Ole Knutson, Twenty-five cents from so and so, and five dollars from Skaugg Brothers, the general store and lumber operators. Five dollars was a lot of cash in those days, several days pay for the men working in the woods. Typically, the lumberjacks would work out of camps in the UP and northern Wisconsin, but in Stonington the farms were close enough to the timber areas that the men and big boys could stay at home and work in the woods. Much more of the pay made it home that way.

I always thought about moving to the UP when I retired, but the wife, who had the connections up there indicated I would be moving alone. It's no place to live if you don't have someone to warm your feet on at night!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We have a few lakes the state stock here in CT, one I fish gave up this fella. 28", 8lbs. I've caught quite a few walleyes, have to dig out the pics. This guy towed my 14 foot boat around before landing him. I'm not a fish eater but walleye is DELICIOUS. I either fry it without batter, or wrap it in foil with butter and garlic on the grill.

Attached Images
28-1.jpg (11.14 KB, 64 downloads)

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good story Dave.

About the same time (1904) in Northern WI the "first cutting" was complete and the "second cutting" hadn't started. So the economy shifted from timber to mining (this is the origin of pasties here).
Guessing a similar cycle to the East in UP. ??

Was talking with an older gentleman from Minneapolis some years ago at the Port Wing WI fish boil. On the shore of Lake Superior.
It was a home coming for him. Grew up nearby during the second cutting. With the cutting complete, no cutting, mines were done, no work so he left for MN.
Interesting time and life.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Must be a new sport--walleye hunting. Which Savage did you use?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 35, 300jimmy, 2UP, 23 invisible), 1,626 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,280
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.