Campfire Outfitter
Thanks

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Angus - I looked all over for a synthetic. Couldn't locate. Talked to the folks at McMillan. They stopped doing them a long time ago and had no leads on others who might still do it.

It has not been that long... they did one for me in a Sako pattern / Hunters Edge. I would call again, you may have got bad info. It is a basic small ring 98 with a different release. They have multiple patterns that will accommodate the 1640 series (Mark X or the Sako patterns). The have the files to inlet the 1640 with aluminum or steel BM and both the standard and LW barrel contours.

All that said, I would send the barrel action to Oregunsmithing / Pendleton Composite stocks. $675 for a lightweight stock, your choice of LOP and bedded to your barreled action. As light or lighter than a McM Edge. Classic C would be the pattern I would use at 18+/- ounces. In fact, I will be sending him a Ruger M77 RSI barreled action in 308 for a new stock in the coming week. and less than three month turn-around time.

Semper Fi

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by haverluk
Angus - I looked all over for a synthetic. Couldn't locate. Talked to the folks at McMillan. They stopped doing them a long time ago and had no leads on others who might still do it.

It has not been that long... they did one for me in a Sako pattern / Hunters Edge. I would call again, you may have got bad info. It is a basic small ring 98 with a different release. They have multiple patterns that will accommodate the 1640 series (Mark X or the Sako patterns). The have the files to inlet the 1640 with aluminum or steel BM and both the standard and LW barrel contours.

All that said, I would send the barrel action to Oregunsmithing / Pendleton Composite stocks. $675 for a lightweight stock, your choice of LOP and bedded to your barreled action. As light or lighter than a McM Edge. Classic C would be the pattern I would use at 18+/- ounces. In fact, I will be sending him a Ruger M77 RSI barreled action in 308 for a new stock in the coming week. and less than three month turn-around time.
Thanks for the info, Haverluk. I talked to two different people at McM got basically the same info. My hunch is that they're already running such long wait times on the standard stuff, they're just cutting off infrequent or "rare" requests.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Did ramline factory produce 1640 stocks at some point?

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They made a small ring Mauser stock that Kimber used on a bunch of sporterized Swede 96s they sold just before they went out of business the first time and ramline made large ring 98 ones. I bet with some work one of the small rings could be made to fit. They actually weren’t horrible stocks for the price.

Last edited by spence1875; 09/02/22.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by spence1875
They made a small ring Mauser stock that Kimber used on a bunch of sporterized Swede 96s they sold just before they went out of business the first time and ramline made large ring 98 ones. I bet with some work one of the small rings could be made to fit. They actually weren’t horrible stocks for the price.

No, the SR stock wouldn't work without some serious effort. Choate made a LR stock that would be literally a drop in since they were blind magazine stocks. You will have a .050" gap on each side of the front ring. But wouldn't have to worry about the bottom metal inlet. You would have to rasp in a small notch for the bolt release.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
TTT

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Gents - just a heads up: I talked to the folks at McMillan again. They will still sell a stock for a Husqvarna, but they no longer offer the inletting. So they provide contact information for a shop they recommend you use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Gents - just a heads up: I talked to the folks at McMillan again. They will still sell a stock for a Husqvarna, but they no longer offer the inletting. So they provide contact information for a shop they recommend you use.

Cool! I have one as well needing a handle. An Edge fill in a Sako pattern, made into a Swede might be the ticket.

Are you not supposed to give out that info, on the stock fitter?

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Sorry just saw this reply. I don't think its a secret? Saint Arbor Customs. Guy there was super nice. But by the time I bought the stock and then covered his inletting costs, it wasnt worth it for my rifle. (Nothing wrong with his prices, it just doesn't seem like McM knocked anything off their end even though they aren't inletting.)

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
It may not solve your need, but I have a used 1640 steel floorplate stock. The stock is rough, previously glassbedded, and rasped to a skinny profile with schnabel fore end. It is rough but could be made useable. Let me know of any interest, and I’ll send pictures. Stock is American black walnut.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by whb309
It may not solve your need, but I have a used 1640 steel floorplate stock. The stock is rough, previously glassbedded, and rasped to a skinny profile with schnabel fore end. It is rough but could be made useable. Let me know of any interest, and I’ll send pictures. Stock is American black walnut.
Appreciate the offer but I think I've found a stock!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,549 guests, and 792 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,935
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.