Campfire Outfitter
H
30-06

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by waterrat
My choice would be a bigger 35 ai 358 Norma, 35 Gibbs, 358 STA, etc,etc

Good bullets from 180grs to 310gr,, perfect for my Alaska!

Always thought the .358 STA had to be one of the very best "zero to whatever" chamberings ever devised for NA............and most of the rest of the world. There's a Model 70 Classic in .300 Wby in the safe that never sees any use. I've entertained the thought............. But there's also a .375 Wby in the safe that DOES get used and there's a pretty big redundancy factor there. Still not sure if redundancy is a valid reason NOT to, yet.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Always thought the .358 STA had to be one of the very best "zero to whatever" chamberings ever devised for NA............and most of the rest of the world. There's a Model 70 Classic in .300 Wby in the safe that never sees any use. I've entertained the thought............. But there's also a .375 Wby in the safe that DOES get used and there's a pretty big redundancy factor there. Still not sure if redundancy is a valid reason NOT to, yet.

I always thought that a “hot rod” .35 caliber may be on of the best caliber options for the handloader….. with the .358 STA possibly the best! 👍 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Yoder, you really need to put that Weatherby to use! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Truth of the matter is if you have a 30-06, it will do anything you need it to do. Having said that people choose their rifle and cartridge based on wants, rather than needs. Nothing wrong with that. I'd never be without a 30-06, but I dearly love my 338 mag, worked for me in Alaska and Africa. Awesome cartridge. If my 375 H&H was stainless rather than blued it would have been used more than it has, and it's still killed my biggest moose and my brown bear.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by memtb

Yoder, you really need to put that Weatherby to use! 😉 memtb

The donor possibility is high.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you “really must” eliminate your .375……you could do far worse than the .358 STA! Especially so, if you’re a hand loader that likes to shoot cast bullets or perhaps jacketed pistol bullets at much reduced velocity. The “hot rod” .35 calibers offer a lot in versatility! memtb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you “really must” eliminate your .375……you could do far worse than the .358 STA! Especially so, if you’re a hand loader that likes to shoot cast bullets or perhaps jacketed pistol bullets at much reduced velocity. The “hot rod” .35 calibers offer a lot in versatility! memtb

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH, NOOOOOOOOO !!!!

There'll be no elimination of Whomper !!!! No way!!!

I've crawled on my belly and lips, pushing that rifle ahead of me for more miles than most would believe. We've been through thick and thicker together. Whomper has accounted for, likely, the only B&C entry I'll ever have. And when things go to schidt.........guess who draws the short straw to go in and fix it ?? Me and Whomper.

That rifle ain't going NOWHERE.

A nice, pretty and classy walnut Model 70 in .358 STA could share stable space with him. But it'd have to live a row or two back. grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I misunderstood! I love my .375 AI, and have no intention of “ever” getting rid of it. However, if I were starting over and Africa were “not” on the “bucket list”…..the .358 STA would be a top contender for my “go to, do it all” cartridge! 😉 memtb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I misunderstood! I love my .375 AI, and have no intention of “ever” getting rid of it. However, if I were starting over and Africa were “not” on the “bucket list”…..the .358 STA would be a top contender for my “go to, do it all” cartridge! 😉 memtb

You are forgiven. grin

And I concur with your .358 STA theory.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have three rifles chambered in 375 H&H and two in 375 Ruger. I also have the big bores and the lighter bores. I think the .375 is the sweet spot and the best "all-arounder" is the 375 H&H. The 375H&H has great knockdown power but a very tolerable "push" recoil. Plus, it can be loaded to duplicate 30-06 ballistics.

The375 Ruger can slightly exceed 375 H&H velocities but at the expense of a much sharper felt recoil.

Bullet velocity isn't everything. In general, the lower velocities on heavy game produce deeper penetration.

The 375 H&H is very effective, drives deep but doesn't needlessly produce massive tissue damage and as they say, "you can eat right up to the hole". I have killed game from small whitetails to the huge eland with a 375 H&H. One shot kills are common.

For the cape buffaloes and up. I use my 458 Lott but, I doubt there are many of those in Alaska. :-)

T.S.

Last edited by TexasShooter; 09/18/22.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don’t know how many 458 Lotts there are, but I know of two .416 Taylors.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned 4 ea. 338 Win Mag's (2 ea 700's and 2 ea 70's) and I liked them, but they all went away. It's not on your list, but I'll suggest the 300 Weatherby with 200 grain (or heavier) partitions for the closest shooting and 200 partitions on the longest shooting. I've heard some complain about the 300's recoil, which I don't understand it isn't a heavy kicker on the 700 Classic platform - I have a BDL stock on the one I shoot.

I have a 375 H&H AI and that would be another option for me. It doesn't kick when at game, but it can get tiresome on a long bench rest shooting day.

I like the 375 Ruger cartridge, but I don't like the Ruger 77's - (I get to like and to dis-like what I want).

Last edited by Bugger; 09/18/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
According to the Navy, you'd have a barrel that was as long as the diameter of the projectile in question (or of interest, to quote a certain Navy vet).

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For me it’s hard to beat a 338 Win Mag. Bullets from 160 gr - 300 gr for any game challenge. .33s have a nice sweet spot when it comes to quality bullets and BC/SD characteristics. Provides close to .30 mag trajectories and can provide close to .375 performance when loaded heavy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For AK, 1894 JM Marlin, .45-70.

Last edited by High_Noon; 09/18/22.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Simple, the 30-06. Because that is what the M1 Garand and 1903 shoot.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree with just one rifle being a depressing concept, but if I was in AK, had to pick just one, I'd go with this SS M-70 Classic in .375 H&H with Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42, QD's and NECG irons.

I just sold a very nice FN Mauser 336-06 which would work. But, the old .375 H&H is a time proven classic, so many ways you can load it and you'll never come up short.

This one's a keeper.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Agree with just one rifle being a depressing concept, but if I was in AK, had to pick just one, I'd go with this SS M-70 Classic in .375 H&H with Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42, QD's and NECG irons.

I just sold a very nice FN Mauser 336-06 which would work. But, the old .375 H&H is a time proven classic, so many ways you can load it and you'll never come up short.

This one's a keeper.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Bingo! We have a winner! Dirtfarmer….isn’t it ironic that two Louisiana boys just happen to know the best rifle for the job! 😉

However, the Sako Talkeetna would be a great one to consider….. it’s quite a bit lighter than the Winchester. It’s pretty much the Winchester in a lighter package!

Run a chamber reamer into either making an AI or a Weatherby……and you have a near ultimate Alaskan hunting rifle! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/20/22.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Kimber Talkeetna?

I never wished for more velocity on the H&H, and in fact it is one chambering that I don't load to its limits. Still seems to kill stuff pretty well. I do agree that it's a good single chambering for all of AK, but I think I would be fine with most anything 280 rem and up.

Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,592
Posts18,492,149
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.