Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by renegade50
[quote=RGRJN]For the OP " Military (Tricare) health care, also set for life." Just for money planning this is only sort of correct. In order for you to keep Tricare(for life) you must sign up for Medicare part B at 65, then Tri care becomes your secondary(for free). Part B is means tested, most folks a couple hundred a month as opposed to what your paying now(if your using Prime).....Wife younger than you ??? You'll pay for your Medicare and her Tricare(prime if your on that) at the single rate until she reaches 65, then guess what ?? I haven't researched this yet, but Medicare doesn't appear to have a family plan.... it's per person, please somebody correct me if I'm wrong....Just FYI

Joe
Did you retire at 62 SSI wise and ride on the tricare till the mandatory enrollment at 65 for medicare??
Basically not have medicare taken out of your SSI for those 3 years.

I been wondering about that for awhile.
You are the 1st poster in years that might be able to give the info I have wondered about that might be a guy that retired ssi wise at 62 and be a mil retiree like many of us are then had to enroll in medicare at 65.[/quote

Renegade..... no I did not, still working, fixing to retire and turn 65, so I been looking at it some. You can retire and ride Tricare til your 65 without having Medicare taken out. I know a couple guys taking SSI at 62( retired military).Truth in advertising though.... I have never asked them if they signed up for Medicare. The only mandatory age for signing up for Medicare and associated cost that I can find is 65. The only thing I can find on the Tricare sight is at 65 you must sign up for Part B if you want to transition to Tricare for Life. Fixin to get busy on it after the first of the year though.... I'm still a year out from signing up. Not sure If I'm gonna take SSI now or later, depends on what Household 6 tells wants me to do.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by RGRJN
[quote=RGRJN]For the OP " Military (Tricare) health care, also set for life." Just for money planning this is only sort of correct. In order for you to keep Tricare(for life) you must sign up for Medicare part B at 65, then Tri care becomes your secondary(for free). Part B is means tested, most folks a couple hundred a month as opposed to what your paying now(if your using Prime).....Wife younger than you ??? You'll pay for your Medicare and her Tricare(prime if your on that) at the single rate until she reaches 65, then guess what ?? I haven't researched this yet, but Medicare doesn't appear to have a family plan.... it's per person, please somebody correct me if I'm wrong....Just FYI

Joe
Did you retire at 62 SSI wise and ride on the tricare till the mandatory enrollment at 65 for medicare??

You are the 1st poster in years that might be able to give the info I have wondered about that might be a guy that retired ssi wise at 62 and be a mil retiree like many of us are then had to enroll in medicare at 65.[/quote

Renegade..... no I did not, still working, fixing to retire and turn 65, so I been looking at it some. You can retire and ride Tricare til your 65 without having Medicare taken out. I know a couple guys taking SSI at 62( retired military).Truth in advertising though.... I have never asked them if they signed up for Medicare. The only mandatory age for signing up for Medicare and associated cost that I can find is 65. The only thing I can find on the Tricare sight is at 65 you must sign up for Part B if you want to transition to Tricare for Life. Fixin to get busy on it after the first of the year though.... I'm still a year out from signing up. Not sure If I'm gonna take SSI now or later, depends on what Household 6 tells wants me to do.

I'm at that stage now. Army retired on Tricare. Started SSI at 62, no Medicare withheld so far. Turn 65 in Dec, now have to sign up for Medicare this month (probably do it tomorrow) to start in Dec. Medicare becomes my primary, withholding starts from SSI, and I convert to Tricare for life as supplemental insurance. No choice if I want to keep insurance, cannot just stay with Tricare past 65.

Last edited by MikeL2; 09/18/22.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by MikeL2

Joe

I'm at that stage now. Army retired on Tricare. Started SSI at 62, no Medicare withheld so far. Turn 65 in Dec, now have to sign up for Medicare this month (probably do it tomorrow) to start in Dec. Medicare becomes my primary, withholding starts from SSI, and I convert to Tricare for life as supplemental insurance. No choice if I want to keep insurance, cannot just stay with Tricare past 65.
Ok between both of you guys input.
Basically a 3 yr grace from paying for Medicare if ya retire at 62 SSI wise and a mil retiree covered by tricare .
Then tricare for life with medicare part B after 65.
That 3 extra yrs is a good chunk of change saved.

Now the question for that scenario

Tricare for life is no payment after the 65 medicare enrollment with part B

Kinda a grandfathered in it situation.
Or I have misunderstand some of what has been posted??

I probably oughta go up to retirement services on post next year.

They could simplify all the ins and outs of this if SS .gov would just have simple flow charts of the process in conjunction with all their written out confusing regs.

Maybe they have some simple charts.
But I have google fu stuff and ain't never seen some.

Another thing I have heard is Medicare part B and D pick up all copays if ya fall under Tricare for life also.

Whether that is true or not.
I dunno...

Last edited by renegade50; 09/18/22.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Joe

Basically a 3 yr grace from paying for Medicare if ya retire at 62 SSI wise and a mil retiree covered by tricare .

They could simplify all the ins and outs of this if SS .gov would just have simple flow charts of the process in conjunction with all their written out confusing regs.

Another thing I have heard is Medicare part B and D pick up all copays if ya fall under Tricare for life also.

I dunno...

Take a look at this short version of Medicare/Tricare for life explanation:Tricare for Life

Basically there are no Tricare premiums, you have to pay for Medicare Part B, and most out-of-pocket costs disappear IF a medical service is covered by both Medicare and Tricare. They do not agree 100% on what is a covered service.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
UPDATE... UPDATE... (as the OP --- Original Poster)...

I am reeling in shock over all this mess with seeing if I could retire at 62 or not. See, earlier today before NFL football on TV, I talked to a very good friend of mine, and fellow Freemason (yes, we're Lodge Brothers at Tuckahoe #347 AF&AM Masonic Lodge here in town). He is actually a Financial Planner, and would not lie to me... He told me cut 'n dry, the way it is... He told my wife Margaret exactly the same thing...

DON'T DO IT!!! shocked

That $$$$ that was listed on the statement from Social Security? Sure, sure, it looks good on paper, but you have to realize:
THEY WILL <expletive> YOU OVER ROYALLY WITH A 30% REDUCTION BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT AT FULL RETIREMENT AGE!!!!

We all crunched numbers, worked this up, worked that up, juggled figures around, trying in vain to see if it could work.

NOPE... My full retirement age by SSA is: 67.

Looks like I'll still be driving a school bus until then. cry

Last edited by ButchAmmon; 09/19/22.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
If you take at 62, you are taking a thirty per cent porking every month. I’d wait to take it at full retirement age if possible. I worked 3 years after I turned 66, saved it all.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Joe

I dunno...

Renegade..... Part D is nothing more than a Drug plan..... TRicare will cover your prescriptions..... not sure where those folks are saying it will cover Copays.... The way it works at least for my folks was Medicare paid for the service ... Tricare picked up the what Medicare didn't to include Copays.Part D is Drug plan you pay for like an advantage plan. I think I got that right anyway.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (300_savage, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 25 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,047
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.