Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 375Taylor
Montana Marine, I’ve got a 308 eerily close to yours I call the war horse -now it has a 5-25 Vortex Strikeforce but thinking hard about the bushy 10x now that I’ve got a load for it.

My $.02 about loading for 308s is how great it would be be if it had 4-5grs more capacity.

Nice. I don't think the Bushnell 10X is in production any more, but it's not a bad little scope. Currently I have the SWFA 10X MilQuad on the rifle, and the 10X Bushy is on a heavy-barreled AR15.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
For practical purposes, the 308, 7-08, 6.5 Creed are all more alike than different.

Inside 600 yards, none has any appreciable advantage over the others...in my opinion.

I'm a fan of the 308 myself, but I can appreciate what the others bring to the table.

One big reason I like the 308 is that milsurp ammo is pretty much always available. And in a pinch, where primers and powder are hard to find, one can pull the bullet from a milsurp round, seat a 150-155gr bullet of your choice, and have ammo for whatever purpose.

One of these days I intend to get some low cost 308 steel-case Russian ammo, pull the bullets, replace with 155 Scenar, or Hornady 155gr ELD-M, and test accuracy.

Anyhoo, my go-to load is 48gr RL17 under a 208 AMax at 3.08" oal. that makes 2580 fps from a 20" barrel, and easily sub-moa accurate for 10 shots at 100 yards, even from a 1/12 twist barrel.

In this case load was 49.0gr RL-17, but the bullet was moly'd, .65" 10-shot group at 100 yards,
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shot with a factory Rem 700 Varmint barrel with the long throat and 1/12 twist, and a Bushnell 10X scope, bedded into a McMillan HTG stock.

Same rifle is no slouch with the 155gr Scenar, despite a fairly long jump to the lands,

Good shooting with that factory barrel!

I used a 90's factory Rem 700 varmint in .308 for a season shooting NRA high power. I was broke at the time so I made my own across the course stock and used left over cases, powder and bullets I had on hand from shooting M1A service rifle. Mostly 175gr SMK's and IMR 4064. Shot losing HM scores and managed a second place in the NC state championship that year. Mostly Speer 125gr TNT for 200yd along with some 155gr SMK's. The rifle didn't seem to mind the chitty 3 times fired in a M1A cases so that's what I used except for 600yd line. Wish I'd left it alone but no I had to rebarrel that next year. Used 6.5-08 reamer held short .080 and cut the cases with a Dillon power trimmer with modified .243 trim die.
Ballistics would overlay 6.5 Creedmoor today. All just to get a heavy bullet in the magazine for the 300yd line.
Wish I'd left it alone, a lot of work for a very small gain.

Good stuff there. Yeah, sometimes things are best left as they are.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Montana Marine, I’ve got a 308 eerily close to yours I call the war horse -now it has a 5-25 Vortex Strikeforce but thinking hard about the bushy 10x now that I’ve got a load for it.

My $.02 about loading for 308s is how great it would be be if it had 4-5grs more capacity.

Nice. I don't think the Bushnell 10X is in production any more, but it's not a bad little scope. Currently I have the SWFA 10X MilQuad on the rifle, and the 10X Bushy is on a heavy-barreled AR15.
They are nice little scopes that were sold for a great price. I have one on a heavy barreled .223 bolt gun that I have for my kids as a range rifle.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

They are nice little scopes that were sold for a great price. I have one on a heavy barreled .223 bolt gun that I have for my kids as a range rifle.

cool

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

It is pretty hard to beat a fixed 10X Mil reticle scope for practical field use. They have been getting the job done for a long time.

I use an SWFA Mil-Quad fixed 10X on a T3 .300wm for a longer range elk rifle and it works quite well.

Works good on targets of opportunity as they pop up too:

But a .308 with a 10X scope is just an easy button.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

It is pretty hard to beat a fixed 10X Mil reticle scope for practical field use. They have been getting the job done for a long time.

I use an SWFA Mil-Quad fixed 10X on a T3 .300wm for a longer range elk rifle and it works quite well.

Works good on targets of opportunity as they pop up too:

But a .308 with a 10X scope is just an easy button.

You bet. Tha's a nice pic too!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UpThePole
With heavy bullets, it would excel at a BLM or ANTIFA parade.

IF Schindler's List is to be believed, four at a time.

Ah, yes. Close to a decade before its inception.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by UpThePole
With heavy bullets, it would excel at a BLM or ANTIFA parade.

IF Schindler's List is to be believed, four at a time.

Aren't you that dude from Pinedale, WY and somewhere in FL?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
I've never seen the utility in the .308 as a hunting cartridge. But I shoot 7mm, .300 WinMag, and .338 WinMag for North American game so a .308 does not offer any advantages.

But the Tikka CTR is a nice rifle so there is that.
Really? To me the .308 Win or an 06’ is about as good as it gets for a utility hunting cartridge. An all around general purpose hunting cartridge is its strongpoint.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve shot more species of game with a 308 than anything else. It hits game hard, kicks little, isnt finicky to load for, ammo is everywhere, it can be housed in a light trim rifle, doesn’t need a26” barrel, plain Jane C&C bullets work to perfection at its velocities…what’s not to like?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Benbo
I’ve shot more species of game with a 308 than anything else. It hits game hard, kicks little, isnt finicky to load for, ammo is everywhere, it can be housed in a light trim rifle, doesn’t need a26” barrel, plain Jane C&C bullets work to perfection at its velocities…what’s not to like?

Well said... wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by Ky221
Where does the .308 excel? Perhaps a better question would be where doesn't it excel? Just about every application I can think of......Hunting rifles, tactical rifles, benchrest rifles, military sniper roles, etc the .308 has been at or near the top of the heap at one point or another.

No matter how many different cartridges I've played with, I keep coming back to the .308 as it just makes so much sense. This little 700 weighs 7# with a 3-9 Zeiss conquest, stacks 150g Hornadys into neat little groups, is a dream to carry, ample horsepower for anything Im likely to hunt and does it all with mild recoil. I imagine this one will be with me until the end.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

how to change your pc screen resolution

I really like that rifle, very practical.

Thank you. It's one of my favorites...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mine excelled at killing whitetails

Retired it to the rafters after about 95 deer

Now we’re seeing how the 6.5 x 284 excells

Don’t get me started on how Savage 10ml-2 muzzleloaders excell

coz dis brotha posts pics

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by irfubar

Well said... wink
Exactly

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well said... wink

irfubar;
Good evening brother fubar, I hope the day's end - which is also the weekend's end - finds you all well.

Way back in the day, my late father brought home multiple Saskatchewan moose which died from whatever brand of .308 ammo was on the shelves of the little hardware store in the closest town. Now to be clear he'd started with a .303 like many or most other hunters in the early '60's did there and also shot at least a few moose with a .250 in a 99 as well.

A little further forward, but still perhaps qualifying for "way back in the day" we had a thread here which was more or less, "Is the .308 ever a bad choice" and the overall consensus then was no - not really.

Over the years if you'd ask me which rifles were the easiest to get to shoot smallish groups - again I'm an older guy and we weren't always able to buy sub 1" rifle off the shelf back then - I'd have suggested to start with a .308 and go from there.

For years my good wife hunted with a .308 and a .308 Norma, while I used an '06, a different .308 Norma and a .300 Win Mag.

Was there a noticeable difference in reaction to being hit - on deer/sheep/black bear sized animals?

Maybe a bit irfubar, but never as much as we thought there should be.

Though my better half has hung up her hunting clothes and parked her rifles, I did drag out her .308 carbine last deer season and didn't feel like I was handicapping myself any by doing so.

They seem to work well with a minimum of fuss in my experience and sometimes that's rather nice isn't it?

All the best to you all this fall and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Well said... wink

irfubar;
Good evening brother fubar, I hope the day's end - which is also the weekend's end - finds you all well.

Way back in the day, my late father brought home multiple Saskatchewan moose which died from whatever brand of .308 ammo was on the shelves of the little hardware store in the closest town. Now to be clear he'd started with a .303 like many or most other hunters in the early '60's did there and also shot at least a few moose with a .250 in a 99 as well.

A little further forward, but still perhaps qualifying for "way back in the day" we had a thread here which was more or less, "Is the .308 ever a bad choice" and the overall consensus then was no - not really.

Over the years if you'd ask me which rifles were the easiest to get to shoot smallish groups - again I'm an older guy and we weren't always able to buy sub 1" rifle off the shelf back then - I'd have suggested to start with a .308 and go from there.

For years my good wife hunted with a .308 and a .308 Norma, while I used an '06, a different .308 Norma and a .300 Win Mag.

Was there a noticeable difference in reaction to being hit - on deer/sheep/black bear sized animals?

Maybe a bit irfubar, but never as much as we thought there should be.

Though my better half has hung up her hunting clothes and parked her rifles, I did drag out her .308 carbine last deer season and didn't feel like I was handicapping myself any by doing so.

They seem to work well with a minimum of fuss in my experience and sometimes that's rather nice isn't it?

All the best to you all this fall and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

Brother Dwayne,
Always nice to hear from you. In my youth I chased the magnums, even had a 308 Norma Mag similar to yours.
Since I have grown older and wiser I see the advantages of the plain 308 Win and enjoy a few in my collection.
Funny thing all these years of building rifles , thousands of handloads , chasing the ultimate long range killing machine, complete with large turret scopes and range cards.
My longest shot on a big game animal was with a Kimber in 308 Win. 150 gr Hornady SST factory loads, using a 2-7 scope with a duplex reticle... 540 yds downhill just using hold over.
The irony makes me smile...

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where does it excel? In a well built bolt rifle, it's no better or worse than a couple dozen or more other rounds. In my mind, it is as good as it gets in a lever gun. I have a Savage 99 in 308 that I picked up here on the fire. It'll shoot about an inch at 100 with open sights and I ring my 10" 200 yard steel with boring ease. I can't imagine another application where the 308 is as good as it gets.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It ain’t too shabby on moose. [Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
Mine excelled at killing whitetails

Retired it to the rafters after about 95 deer

Now we’re seeing how the 6.5 x 284 excells

Don’t get me started on how Savage 10ml-2 muzzleloaders excell

coz dis brotha posts pics

My progression was from .308 to 6.5-284, then .280 AI, now 6.5 PRC with a .308 as a backup gun. They all killed them dead. None deader than the others.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It`s got a faster cycling rate in an MG than the longer 06. The Germans picked up on that.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, Akhutr, 450yukon, 375sunrise, 907brass, 15 invisible), 1,566 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,526
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.