Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It ain't for me, but I kind of admire the guys who can pull it off, have the skill, knowledge and practice enough to do it consistently. But on the other hand, I shot NRA High Power for 40 yrs and at a mere 600 yds, wind and mirage frequently put crow on the diet of masters and high masters. Now take away wind flags, spying on competitors targets, and free sighter shots...it adds up to adding luck to the factors for success. Since videos of failure don't garner a lot of watchers...we don't usually get to see the failures. I really have contempt for the guys who don't have the skills or practice enough, that think you can build a rifle and buy an optic, have a spotter that is as ignorant as the shooter, and are qualified to snipe at animals. And the bottom line for me is, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by 5sdad
There will be those who favor it who will refuse to enter into an intelligent discussion of it.
There will be those who oppose it who will refuse to enter into an intelligent discussion of it.

Yes but overall there's more room for intelligent discussion on the part of those who favor it. Because many of the ones opposed tend to not really know much about it.

Good point. Something no one has brought up is the TOF to the target in the OP. Just off the top of my head, it took roughly 4+ seconds for the bullet to get to the target. A lot can happen in that amount of time. To me, that type of shot is reckless when we are talking ethics and "humane" 1 shot kills. What the OP posted is considered ELR, not just "long range". I'll shoot 4-700 yards on a big game animal, but practice out to 1,000-1,500 yards and also shoot competitively in long range events. You are right. A lot of the people that don't shoot longrange, don't know enough about it. Yet they try to impose their short range rules on the rest of us.. Like others have said and what I have said a 100 times, you need to know your limits and abilities. Don't overstep those boundaries..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I have yet to meet ANY big game animal I can't get within 300 yards of.

40 years as a bowhunter teaches you how to HUNT.

Shooting STEEL at 1000 yds is fun, wounding animals is not.

Wanna be snipers should join the military where the target can shoot back.

A real hunter can do just fine with this.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by UpThePole

There you go^^^^ Dumb fu cks trying to impose their short range rules on the rest of us. ^^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by 5sdad
There will be those who favor it who will refuse to enter into an intelligent discussion of it.
There will be those who oppose it who will refuse to enter into an intelligent discussion of it.

Yes but overall there's more room for intelligent discussion on the part of those who favor it. Because many of the ones opposed tend to not really know much about it.

I rest my case:

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m a 300 yard max hunter.
I fall into this category for several reasons. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Recently a new long range record was set. 4.4 miles and hit an 8” target. Don’t know if it was a creedmoor or not?!
Only took 69 shots to hit the bullseye.

It was 4ft by 8ft, not 8inches

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Anything more than 100 yards I consider shooting, not hunting. Then again sitting over a foodplot and having a 30yard shot really isnt hunting either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by killerv
Anything more than 100 yards I consider shooting, not hunting. Then again sitting over a foodplot and having a 30yard shot really isnt hunting either.

You would not feel that way if you hunted the open country of the West!
Agreed on the food plot thing

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This is always a contentious discussion, though a valid one. The conversation is always geared towards long range center fire, but should include archery and ML as well. 100 yard archery kills are not that uncommon anymore. Smokeless ML’s have become single shot rifles and the list goes on.

No one can deny technology has extended the range for all. As Western tags become harder to acquire, hunters are taking advantage of every technology available to be successful. Like it or not, technology is going to be a bigger discussion every year.

It’s all good till they come after your technology.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My rifles were usually zeroed at 300 yds.
264 Win and 7mm STW at 350.
The range card on the stock went out to 500 for each.
If I could not shoot four inch groups at 300 yds, from prone with the rifle, it did not go hunting. And yes, I shot dozens of shots each year between 400 and 800 yds, at rocks and othet targets of opportunity to test and assure capabilities.

So, yes, I was prepared and competent to take game with lethal and humane first shots to 500 yds. I shot many at 400 yds.

Deer and elk are made of meat. I eat meat, as does my wife and kids. There were excess animals on the range which needed thinned. I had tags.I did not take any step beyond that which was legal.

What someone else considers ethical or "fair chase" is of no consequence to me. I need only appease my concsience, and stay within the bounds of the law.

I use past tense, because I have not purchased a big game tag in several years.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gunnison1
I worked my ass off to get within a reasonable distance on a great bull only to have some guys start lobbing shots over my head at the animal from the ridge behind me. As they were shooting I walked right out into the park below the elk and shot 5 rounds into the hill side and threw my hands up in the air looking back at them. They were taking shots at him from every bit of 1000 yds. This was in the early years of the long range hunting “shooting” fad.

....and shooting back makes you more intelligent? 🤪

Geez! Put your hunter orange on a stick and wave it around!
Used to hunt with a guy who would brag, "If a bullet hits near me, whatever I have in my pocket, I'm sending back that direction!"
I don't hunt with that idiot anymore!

Why on earth would you want to make a dangerous situation MORE dangerous? 🤔

P.S. - yeppers, it would piss me off too, but I'm not going to just start slinging lead helter skelter across the landscape!

Last edited by martinstrummer; 09/19/22.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by duke61
Way too many animals are wounded in the process of so called "long range hunting", as I get older I take greater care to put the animal down as quickly and humanly as possible, don't care about "long range kill" bragging rights, that is for people with something to prove to themselves.
I feel strongly that more animals are wounded by hunters taking running shots at 40 to 50 yds, than are wounded by shooting at a standing target inside 500 yds.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Recently a new long range record was set. 4.4 miles and hit an 8” target. Don’t know if it was a creedmoor or not?!
Only took 69 shots to hit the bullseye.

It was 4ft by 8ft, not 8inches
I believe the orange paint bullseye with the bullet hole in it was 8”, the backer that it was painted on was probably 4’x8’.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
“You can shoot 700 yards at an animal that can’t even hear the shot,” he said. “Yeah, that’s really sporting.”
With almost any centerfire rifle, the animal can't hear it coming at 50 yards, either. Most of them are faster than the speed of sound, even at that distance.

I've read a lot of accounts of game being killed at 600+ yards, but not a single one of them told how many they wounded before one died.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's a great choice for someone with a felony record Larry!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I love threads where I get to determine how everyone else pursues game.

Hold on, let me warm up my keyboard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I love threads where I get to determine how everyone else pursues game.

Hold on, let me warm up my keyboard.

I believe ethics in the field matters.... but don't believe it should be legislated, it's a personal choice.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by irfubar

You would not feel that way if you hunted the open country of the West!
Agreed on the food plot thing

As an 'eastern hunter' I have never took a shot much over 200 yards.
I passed on by far the largest antlered whitetail that I've ever seen due to distance.
I guesstimated him at 400 yards out.
Used the rangefinder a couple years later....387
Not proficient here at those ranges.

Last edited by Raeford; 09/19/22. Reason: errors

FJB & FJT
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
Originally Posted by Gunnison1
I worked my ass off to get within a reasonable distance on a great bull only to have some guys start lobbing shots over my head at the animal from the ridge behind me. As they were shooting I walked right out into the park below the elk and shot 5 rounds into the hill side and threw my hands up in the air looking back at them. They were taking shots at him from every bit of 1000 yds. This was in the early years of the long range hunting “shooting” fad.

....and shooting back makes you more intelligent? 🤪

Geez! Put your hunter orange on a stick and wave it around!
Used to hunt with a guy who would brag, "If a bullet hits near me, whatever I have in my pocket, I'm sending back that direction!"
I don't hunt with that idiot anymore!

Why on earth would you want to make a dangerous situation MORE dangerous? 🤔

P.S. - yeppers, it would piss me off too, but I'm not going to just start slinging lead helter skelter across the landscape!

I never said anything about “shooting back” or shots slinging around helter skelter across the landscape. But read into it what you will…

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 29 invisible), 1,900 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,270
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.