Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
These aircraft were work horses during my timeline as well as many of you and so often not given the credit they deserved ...Hats off to all that flew and crewed them like our own "jnyork"...salute !

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Converted to turboprop, those planes would be worth their weight in gold up in Alaska today.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Canadian rescue service is still using them, probably the only ones flying today. Someone did a special on TV about them, it was really interesting.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Converted to turboprop, those planes would be worth their weight in gold up in Alaska today.

http://www.penturbo.com is up at Cape May NJ airport and they have bunch that they do just that with. African mining business is another place that gobbles them up. Flew up there for breakfast (good restaurant and nice aviation museum on the field) a while back and they had a bunch.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
de Havilland built some pretty amazing aircraft in their time. OK maybe not the Swallow or Comet (bad name choice), but their prop aircraft were/are amazing workhorses.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I worked on Dash 7s for a while. Didn't get to fly one but did start up and taxi one once. Quite a rig with similar performance. But bigger.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I Corps departure

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
L
DigitalDan would that departure be Quang Tri in 1968?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I watched an AFRES C-7 come across the end of the runway at Myrtle Beach AFB and once over pavement the pilot did an almost vertical landing. He didn't go forward much more than the length of the plane. That awed me more than the AV-8s that came in.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
One of my old B & W pics [1970] of one of several tail #'s we shared adjacent revetment parking with

however the 483rd Tactical Airlift Wing at Phu Cat was later moved to Cam Ranh Bay from early 1968 to December 1971.

Our C-7 ops were mainly used in Binh Dinh province and surrounding remote areas.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The Canadian rescue service is still using them, probably the only ones flying today. Someone did a special on TV about them, it was really interesting.

I'm interested, where did you find that the Caribou is still in use by the Canadian SAR?

This is what I found: https://www.canada.ca/en/air-force/programs/search-rescue.html

Helicopter: CH149 Cormorant and CH146 Griffin.

Fixed wing: CP140 Aurora, CC115 Buffalo, C130 Hercules, and the newest, the CC295 Kingfisher.

I see that the Buffalo is a descendant of the Caribou. http://www.dhc4and5.org/Buffalo.html

Last edited by AB2506; 09/19/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My cousin started his Air Force career flying B 17s in WWII. His last combat assignment was as a wing (?) commander in Vietnam of C-7 Caribous in 1970 . He was promoted to full bird for this assignment. He retired from the Air Force in 1975. He did the Berlin Air Lift, Korea and the Pershing one deployment program in between.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LuckyLark
DigitalDan would that departure be Quang Tri in 1968?

No, it was a strip southwest of Quang Tri as I recall. Lot of Montagnard villages in the area.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Amazing STOL aircraft! Those would’ve been popular in Columbia back in the day.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I only saw a couple while in Korea. I thought they were kind of cool looking. Had one declare an emergency and landed at the Tucson airport. Believe is was a landing gear problem. I had to do the special weather observation which was posted as an acft mishap. If it had been a crash it would have an ACFT accident. ACFT for the unenlightened is the contraction for aircraft, just in case someone needs to ask.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for posting the thread Woody...

There was a guy I met at an Air Show in St Paul when I lived back in Minnesota, who had a Caribou he had flown in...

Many years after Vietnam was over, he had been able to locate and purchase the one he flew in Vietnam, restored and rebuilt it
and was flying it to air shows...late 80s or so.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I watched an AFRES C-7 come across the end of the runway at Myrtle Beach AFB and once over pavement the pilot did an almost vertical landing. He didn't go forward much more than the length of the plane. That awed me more than the AV-8s that came in.

I was in the back of one for a landing like that. Dropped and stopped, across the runway rather than along it. It must have looked impressive. We all ended up in a bit of a tangle in the back.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
dan, the one I watched touched down soft and didn't stop.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jump Mastered outta one lf those one time up in Alaska. They told us it would be like a C-123 jump .... but it wasn't. They could definitely take-off and land on a postage stamp though.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The C-123 was the other, slightly larger "tactical supply" cargo plane in 'Nam. Unlike the 'Boo, though, nobody has fond memories of the 123.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

730 members (01Foreman400, 16gage, 160user, 16Racing, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,210
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.