Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by duke61
Way too many animals are wounded in the process of so called "long range hunting", as I get older I take greater care to put the animal down as quickly and humanly as possible, don't care about "long range kill" bragging rights, that is for people with something to prove to themselves.
I feel strongly that more animals are wounded by hunters taking running shots at 40 to 50 yds, than are wounded by shooting at a standing target inside 500 yds.

I’ve seen rodeos on both sides of the isle, but as a general rule I think you’re correct… I won’t endorse some jackass aiming 10 feet high and hoping for the best but I think people taking jackass shots like that aren’t as common as some make them out to be. The bigger threat of wounding critters comes from people taking any shot they’re not comfortable with regardless of range: not just those taking “long” shots, whatever that is defined as.

There’s several people on this very thread bitching about long range hunters that I wouldn’t trust to make a 50 yard shot responsibly, based on some of the things they have posted in the past.

I know a couple of the Wyoming people quoted in the OP’s article and they’re not the kinds of people whom I’d take hunting advice from.

All of the above

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
please define

A: long range

B: hunting

C: ethical

If we can all agree on all three definitions,

then perhaps we can have an "intelligent" discussion.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I killed a deer at a quarter-mile once, and have decided not to press my luck any further. I had been shooting all summer long at nearly that distance, though.
Now, I limit myself to 300 yards. That's far enough. To be honest about it, mostly the deer I've shot have been under 200 yards. I'm happy with that, and have decided to keep it that way. I'm not so anxious just to kill stuff any longer. The closer, the better, as far as I'm concerned.
It sure is fun to wallop prairie dogs at 300+ yards, but I won't do that with deer any more.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Where I hunt, 100 yards is a long range shot. Most of the shots are under 50 yards. That works for me. I am reluctant to bash folks that feel differently.

Sam......

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm flying all the way to Colorado in few weeks to hunt.
Does that count?

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
How many time is this discussion going to come up on this site? And is it going to get any more ridiculous in the 500th discussion as it was in the first?

I know lots of guys who have a tough time hitting a deer at 50 yards, much less 400, but I would never tell them they should get closer.... wink

And when I'm lining up a shot- no matter if it is 125 yards or 600 yards, I don't really worry too much about what some yahoo on 24hourcampfire thinks I should be doing... but I do think about whether I can make the shot while I am setting up. Do I have a sufficient rest? Is there any obstacles in the way? What is the actual distance and what does my dope sheet say? Can I retrieve the animal from where it will drop? What will I cook for dinner?

A lot of you guys worry way too much about what others do and not enough about how you come off when spouting your "world according to me" opinions.... it's almost as if a lot of guys on this site forget that some of us hunt in different situations than you do and need different skill sets to accomplish our goal...

I'd let you in my camp Bob grin

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
For big game, I limit myself to ~3/4 second flight time on the projectile IF I have what I feel is a really good read on the wind. I feel like that's about as long as I can expect a calm/unaware animal to stand still enough for a kill shot to remain a kill shot.

Coyotes, skunks, raccoons, badgers, etc., if I can see them, I'm shooting. I don't care if they're standing still, running, or how far they are.

Last edited by horse1; 09/19/22.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think we can all agree that the president of WYOGA is the last person on earth to be discussing hunting ethics.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by SupFoo
I do know this: you will not see the video of the shooter hitting the animal in the guts, or ass, never to be found. Those don't get posted.

Actually, there was some retard posting a vid of some elk getting its ear blasted off at 950 yards on this site several years ago.
That might have been John Burns. I seem to recall his long range elk kill took more than one shot… I could be mistaken tho… but not about the retard part… laugh
But in all fairness, he did have kyles balls in his hand when he pulled the trigger grin

No, it wasn't John Burns. It was some yahoo that posted a vid of a supposedly 950 yard head shot on a cow elk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL.

I'll just leave this here.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 700LH
Long range hunting says braggart , John burns, or idiot to me

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad
please define

Or let fish and game decide who in violation of the above?

🙄🙄🙄🙄

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I shoot gongs to 1000 yards, been to long range shooting schools twice and shoot weekly and sometimes daily since I've retired. I belong to 4 four shooting ranges including Mifflin County Sportsman's in PA where I shoot 1000 yard gongs. I have the equipment to shoot long distance. I shoot that far so I can handle shots at elk and mule deer up to 500 yards, I prefer them at 100-150 yards, it seems like I never get a shot that close. My closest elk kill was 176 yards and longest was 512 yards. I think shooting animals at long distance isn't for everyone, like someone said, if you can do it, it ain't bragging.

I believe bowhunters wound a lot more animals than long range hunters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Sheister
How many time is this discussion going to come up on this site? And is it going to get any more ridiculous in the 500th discussion as it was in the first?

I know lots of guys who have a tough time hitting a deer at 50 yards, much less 400, but I would never tell them they should get closer.... wink

And when I'm lining up a shot- no matter if it is 125 yards or 600 yards, I don't really worry too much about what some yahoo on 24hourcampfire thinks I should be doing... but I do think about whether I can make the shot while I am setting up. Do I have a sufficient rest? Is there any obstacles in the way? What is the actual distance and what does my dope sheet say? Can I retrieve the animal from where it will drop? What will I cook for dinner?

A lot of you guys worry way too much about what others do and not enough about how you come off when spouting your "world according to me" opinions.... it's almost as if a lot of guys on this site forget that some of us hunt in different situations than you do and need different skill sets to accomplish our goal...

I'd let you in my camp Bob grin

How far do I have to practice shooting first? wink

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
IMHO, shooting an animal at 1000 yards with a rifle is more ethical than shooting an animal at 40 yards with a bow.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
200 yards is quite a poke for my 30-30 or 30-06 carbine. It is also about as far as I can see where I hunt.

So, to ME, 200 yards is long range...... I've killed the vast majority under 50.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by Valsdad
please define

Or let fish and game decide who in violation of the above?

🙄🙄🙄🙄

When hunting is outlawed it will all be moot.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
IMHO, shooting an animal at 1000 yards with a rifle is more ethical than shooting an animal at 40 yards with a bow.

That's a provocative statement. I'm sensing that you have a bias towards firearms, not sure why. It's very subtle.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sako76
I shoot gongs to 1000 yards, been to long range shooting schools twice and shoot weekly and sometimes daily since I've retired. I belong to 4 four shooting ranges including Mifflin County Sportsman's in PA where I shoot 1000 yard gongs. I have the equipment to shoot long distance. I shoot that far so I can handle shots at elk and mule deer up to 500 yards, I prefer them at 100-150 yards, it seems like I never get a shot that close. My closest elk kill was 176 yards and longest was 512 yards. I think shooting animals at long distance isn't for everyone, like someone said, if you can do it, it ain't bragging.

I believe bowhunters wound a lot more animals than long range hunters.

If you read the Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook by TJ Conrads (No relation to Jim Conrads) it's considered a classic on the subject.

And the accuracy standard is 8 out of 10 arrows in the kill zone. That's 80% and we're talking 20-25 yards and in.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Backroads
I think we can all agree that the president of WYOGA is the last person on earth to be discussing hunting ethics.

Is that the Wyoming Yoga Club??

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,114
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.