Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Doesn't do a thing for me. I want to get into their living room and do everything right, to the point they walk right in front of me, or within 100 or so yards. The closer I can get, the more I feel I did my homework and beat them at their own game. I can understand longer shots taken out west to a certain point, but I'll leave the long range sniping to somebody else.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
There will be those who favor it who will refuse to enter into an intelligent discussion of it.
There will be those who oppose it who will refuse to enter into an intelligent discussion of it.

Pretty much sums it up. It ain't about intelligent discussion most days. It's about people hearing themselves talk.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Tuesday..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This.

Already starting in NM. The easy button was scopes on ML’s. There is discussions about other technology and season dates, tag numbers are next.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
Another angle to consider is that with equipment capable of shooting further and further out, more critters are being killed, potentially. This is aside from the ethics issue and the fact that more people are out there hunting (out west at least).

That means F&G has to reduce harvest for some critters such as mule deer in other ways. Shorter seasons, seasons outside of the rut and the biggest one…fewer and fewer tags.

The hot topic these days is that it is becoming tough to get tags (most especially for mule deer, sheep and the like), so would you all support regs limiting high tech equipment or shot distances if it meant having more tags available?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know a chief engineer who is a bow hunter.
There is at least one smart person then, who thinks hunting is stalking.

Not me. Each rifle I build, I target practice to find my range limit.

And you can't tell me the bow hunters are not practicing to find THIER range limit.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Not me. Each rifle I build, I target practice to find my range limit.

If you can hold a tight group at 100 yards with say a 300wm or a 7mm, at what distance will that grouping expand to 30 inches?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My long range hunting is 3o yards with my bow,I like to see their eyelashes. It's the thrill of the chase,not the kill,that is the real deal.To each their own, it ain't hunting to me.Too many chances of not making a clean kill,the quarry deserves that.See many animals shot to sheet at the taxi's every year.if your gonna shoot it,at least do a good job.

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It doesn’t interest me, but I don’t care a whole lot.

I will say, however, with regard to some muzzleloaders it is getting stupid. They make plenty of muzzleloaders now that are 400 yard guns. Wasn’t the original point to offer additional hunting opportunities while not putting the pressure that a rifle hunting would? What is the difference now? Either open it up to rifles or restrict optics on muzzleloaders.

But then again, I don’t want to pretend like I care too much about it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Some long range shooting that is fun and ethical is shooting flies and grasshoppers that land on your targets when sighting in or checking zero. I’ve saved a few targets that have that satisfying splat on them.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Not for me though I have zero issue with how one chooses to legally hunt.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
antelope in the wide open you need a rifle that can shoot a long ways out ,i just got back from a hunt in Wyoming for antelope ,we had limited time and antelope population is down and we had a storm coming in and where the animals live in the open range area you need a rifle that will shoot good with a bi-pod . my buck loper i shot was 460 yards away otherwise i probably would have not got a antelope . i was prepared to shoot out to 600 yards with my rifle and a bi-pod laying down for this hunt.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
“You can shoot 700 yards at an animal that can’t even hear the shot,” he said. “Yeah, that’s really sporting.”
With almost any centerfire rifle, the animal can't hear it coming at 50 yards, either. Most of them are faster than the speed of sound, even at that distance.

I've read a lot of accounts of game being killed at 600+ yards, but not a single one of them told how many they wounded before one died.

Just like degenerate gamblers. You always hear about the big scores, but never the crippling losses.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by killerv
Anything more than 100 yards I consider shooting, not hunting. Then again sitting over a foodplot and having a 30yard shot really isnt hunting either.
How about sitting inside a tree house with either a gun or bow, is that hunting?
Is sitting on the same stump for years waiting for a 50 yard shot hunting?
What exactly is considered hunting anyway?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Originally Posted by horse1
For big game, I limit myself to ~3/4 second flight time on the projectile IF I have what I feel is a really good read on the wind. I feel like that's about as long as I can expect a calm/unaware animal to stand still enough for a kill shot to remain a kill shot.

Interesting.

I checked my saved trajactory charts -

30-06, 180AB, 575 yards in 0.75 seconds.
7mmMag, 160AB, 625 yards in 0.75 seconds.

To put this in perspective.

So, give or take, I consider 600ish to by my limit, but, the bullet flight time is the "Why" behind that number. Beyond that sort of flight time, the wind call accuracy and the potential for critter movement makes the (or at least my) margin for error exponentially smaller.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
If you know what you are doing, and are skilled at accuracy at whatever range you hunt, then go for it, if that's the way you roll.

I ain't gonna tell another grown up how to hunt.

Who are Muley Fanatics to think they are somehow empowered to define "fair chase" to this guy?

Sound like democrats.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another angle to consider is that with equipment capable of shooting further and further out, more critters are being killed, potentially. This is aside from the ethics issue and the fact that more people are out there hunting (out west at least).

That means F&G has to reduce harvest for some critters such as mule deer in other ways. Shorter seasons, seasons outside of the rut and the biggest one…fewer and fewer tags.

The hot topic these days is that it is becoming tough to get tags (most especially for mule deer, sheep and the like), so would you all support regs limiting high tech equipment or shot distances if it meant having more tags available?

T Inman;
Good morning my friend, I hope that you're getting weather you can stand up there and you're healthy.

Thanks for the points to ponder, I always appreciate your input and thoughts on these subjects.

It would seem to me that we're likely not too, too far from having optics on a rifle which will take a laser shot for distance and then automatically adjust the aiming point. Then it'll only be the wind the shooter has to contend with won't it?

There is a local chap who is a gunsmith specializing in putting together long distance rifles and in the last few years he's set up a side business teaching long range shooting to hunters and some LEO as well. I have a buddy who is LEO who is involved in some capacity there too.

The LEO buddy reports to me that to a large degree, the class participants are under the impression that they're able to purchase long range hunting ability and confuse it with long range hunting. His point being that the class does not and can not teach them animal body language before or after being hit.

Another young friend of mine who was chatting with me this past weekend as we were chasing a ram for his uncle who is an old and dear friend of mine, is that the trend he's seeing is a bit of a gear race and not a "where are they watering or feeding" sort of approach.

There's a bunch of reasons for this for sure T, likely that the younger folks are working 50-60 hours a week trying to make ends meet as well as being in more urban centers where they simply cannot observe wildlife on a daily or weekly basis, you know?

For sure up here we're now at a no way to accrue points LEH system for local mountain goat and sheep and shorter seasons with more point restrictions for mulies. A couple years back they took away the late bow season which was during the rut, as too many mature bucks were being taken out of the winter range herds.

We're also not allowed to hunt with drones and I want to say that game cams which broadcast live to one's phone might be out too? Not sure about the game cams entirely but there was some discussion about it that I'd need to look up.

Thanks again and all the best to you this fall my friend. We'll both do our best to stay safe out there as we're hunting solo. wink

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
It's just a deer.....but I don't like to see them wounded.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by BC30cal

T Inman;
Good morning my friend, I hope that you're getting weather you can stand up there and you're healthy.

Thanks for the points to ponder, I always appreciate your input and thoughts on these subjects.

It would seem to me that we're likely not too, too far from having optics on a rifle which will take a laser shot for distance and then automatically adjust the aiming point. Then it'll only be the wind the shooter has to contend with won't it?

I'm reasonably certain that Swarovski and Burris have scopes with a laser on board that will do just that via lighting an LED on the vertical stadia for hold-over. Sig has a scope that pairs to a handheld LRF or their Binoc/LRF combo unit where the LRF ranges, talks to the scope, and the scope lights up an LED hold-over.

Last edited by horse1; 09/20/22.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think it's stupid, but I don't really care as long as it's a clean kill. And yes it's still "hunting".

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Horse 1 ---- I have that Swaro scope and 1000 yards is easy IF there is no wind and the animal does not decide to take a step during the TOF of the bullet.

There is hunting and there is long range target shooting using live targets.

I am all in favor of the latter if the target is a 2 legged criminal. Otherwise I like to get so close I can smell the animal. Elk HUNTERS know what I mean.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 44automag, 450yukon, 20 invisible), 1,408 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,211
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.