Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think it's funny how much we fuss over what we feed a dog today. Yeah the food is "better" but it's mostly marketing hype driven by the vet and dog food industry. You know if you aren't feeding your dog this high dollar craft food then you shouldn't own a dog thing. When I was a kid everybody fed their dog out a 500 pound bag of Chuck Wagon or Alpo or Purina, or some local brand from the local store feed room, and the dogs lived just as good as today.

But yeah, I buy Science Diet or Iams or Purina One.

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's mostly hype by a long shot.

All those advertised meat products are just meal.

Protein it is but all the quality ingredients have been stripped out out of it when they turned it into meal.

I doubt there's any difference between one type of meal or another other than you might barely be able to detect which animal it came from in a lab.

If you think just because the label states the pet food of your desires has Salmon in it that your dog is going to benefit from the Omega 3, Vitamin E, Vitamin A and Vitamin D that once existed in that Salmon your just kidding yourself.

That stuff is long gone before it becomes an ingredient in dry dog food.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by KFWA
we have a lab mix and as he was laying on me last night, I noticed a cyst on him. He is 7 years old now. It looks like more will be appearing based on this thread.

Also, he is partial to Hudsonville Creamy Blend Vanilla ice cream. But I've noticed so is my wife and kids.

A vet told me a long time ago that if your lab does not have fatty cysts something is wrong with it. lol

He also said as long as they aren't attached and you can move them around inside the skin, they are ok. When they are attached, is when there is trouble. I just had to put our 12 year old male down on the 2nd of September. He had a large cyst on his chest and I'm pretty sure he was full of cancer. He was running around fine one day and the next he could barely lift his head off the floor. frown

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure my wife is going to be able to handle the day we have to put that dog down. It will be tough for me, but she'll be devastated. He is the first thing she looks for in the morning when she wakes up and when she walks in the door in the evening.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'm not sure my wife is going to be able to handle the day we have to put that dog down. It will be tough for me, but she'll be devastated. He is the first thing she looks for in the morning when she wakes up and when she walks in the door in the evening.

Same story at my house. I'm pretty attached to the little booger myself.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This one is a rescue we've had for eight years, and he's now ten years old. I went through a lot of trials and tribulations with this dog owing to his learned distrust of adult males due to abuse he endured for his first two years before we got him, but I found that a lot of gentle contact and affection were the key to getting him to bond.

We've been feeding him that Visionary Keto for a couple of years, and it would be easy to mistake him for being about 18 months old. He's one happy boy!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As recommended by our breeder;

https://www.inukshukpro.com/

26/16 for Ivy & 30/25 for Izzy.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
75 pound brindle colored Pitbull / Lab mix. 2 years old. Reggie can be quite a handful at times, but, he's an awesome dog! cool

Anyway, my wife and I figured it all out, once we rescued him from the SPCA here in town last year:

Breakfast
1/2 scoop of Pedigree dry dog food
1 pouch of Pedigree Pouches, assorted moist dog food
Mix it all up, stir it up, and serve.
Reggie inhales it like it was his last meal on earth!

Dinner
1 heaping scoop of Pedigree dry dog food
2 pouches of Pedigree Pouches, assorted moist dog food
Mix it all up, stir it up, and serve, "along with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, when my wife isn't looking", as a bonus/spoil the dog
Reggie seriously inhales it like it was his last meal on earth, and absolutely adores me, like I'm his best buddy he ever had! grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Meet Reggie... Once my wife and I brought him home from the SPCA last year, he decided to climb up in the reclining lawn chair and called it "his" cool

Last edited by ButchAmmon; 09/19/22.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Costco's Kirkland brand for mature dogs.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Turkey low sodium hot dogs every day for dinner, unless leftover food or elk liver, heart, kidney or older cuts are available. been feeding these things to all my dogs for decades.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Natural Balance Limited ingredient .

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Our 3 year old Lab and 3 year old GSD eat Diamond Naturals chicken and rice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockchucker
pure balance from walmarts. We brown ground deer meat and mix with it

Same here, except I cook a pound of cheap hamburger, ground turkey, or chicken livers with a cup of brown rice and a third of a bag of frozen chopped kale each week and they each get 1/4 cup of that and 1/4 cup of water mixed with their kibble. Once a day.

Was buying Gentle Giants but all the stores apparently quit stocking it. My dogs loved it. I might see about ordering it online.

I don't get too foofy-do with it, my primary objective is avoiding corn as the main ingredient.

Also, they get pork rinds for treats when I get home from work. Pretty sure that's why they still tolerate me. The pork rinds.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ella
Victor High Pro Plus in the 50lb bags ($54 per).

Nice looking old truck...................

and pups.

Ours get Pro Plan, no idea what flavor other than I think it's the lamb version. Maybe with rice?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
We hid out in a hotel during the last ice storm. They served breakfast. Me and Morgan had biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

We're waiting for the next ice storm. They're a good diversion.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Purina Pro Plan Perfromance 30/20 Chicken and rice

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,964
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.