-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was in Viet Nam on C-130's for several years and always thought it would be cool to take a ride on one of the C-7's, but never had the time.
The first time I saw one other than at CRB, was at Katum and was having a hell of time landing into a strong wind. Looked like it was not moving.
Like they say, "real planes have props"..

Last edited by kennymauser; 09/20/22.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The C-123 was the other, slightly larger "tactical supply" cargo plane in 'Nam. Unlike the 'Boo, though, nobody has fond memories of the 123.

I certainly don't have "fond memories" especially after Ranch Hand missions..They were dripping A Orange everywhere. The fire Dept did its best to hose off the taxiways however most of it went into grassy areas which eventually turned brown even after being diluted.

Over 3.5 million liters of Agent Orange were located on the Phu Cat Air Base during Vietnam. Several areas of the Phu Cat base were found to have elevated levels of dioxin requiring remediation (above 1000 ppt in soil or 150 ppt in sediment).

It's a wonder I don't have a third eye !

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I flew on them a couple of times n Nam. They seemed to be somewhat unstable - always wagging left and right. I thought they were cool with that hatch on top where a crewman could stand up in when moving about on the ground.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for posting this, Woody.

Here's a link to the Caribou website, tons of pix etc from Vietnam.

http://www.c-7acaribou.com/

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The C-123 was the other, slightly larger "tactical supply" cargo plane in 'Nam. Unlike the 'Boo, though, nobody has fond memories of the 123.
The AFRes units at Westover and Pittsburg had them. They'd take a weekend trip down to Patrick AFB, FL and stop on Sundays going home. Top off the gas and 15 gal of oil in each engine.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
When I was at Bragg sometimes they had weekend fun jumps. I got just a couple C7 jumps. Tailgate. What a blast!

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The Canadian rescue service is still using them, probably the only ones flying today. Someone did a special on TV about them, it was really interesting.

I'm interested, where did you find that the Caribou is still in use by the Canadian SAR?

This is what I found: https://www.canada.ca/en/air-force/programs/search-rescue.html

Helicopter: CH149 Cormorant and CH146 Griffin.

Fixed wing: CP140 Aurora, CC115 Buffalo, C130 Hercules, and the newest, the CC295 Kingfisher.

I see that the Buffalo is a descendant of the Caribou. http://www.dhc4and5.org/Buffalo.html

Now that I think about it, it WAS the Buffalo. It and the Caribou are so much alike, my brain says "Caribou". Still, those guys in the Rescue Service up there are real studs.

My first parachute jump at Ft. Benning was out of reputedly the last C-123 in service in the USAF. It was memorable, mainly because, even as scared as we were, we were anxious to get out of that POS. I am amazed that it could even get off the ground. I think the USAF bought them to punish pilots they didn't like.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had one in-country hitchhike ride in a C-123, and I would not have ridden in another if they told me it would take me straight to the big Freedom Bird in Saigon. Two big radial engines and two auxiliary jet engines for takeoff made such a horrific noise that it is a wonder any of their crews were not stone deaf.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,511
Posts18,509,390
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.