Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Hey UTP, just how many Elk have you Slayed?

FJB & FJT

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hehehehe.....

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Some long range shooting that is fun and ethical is shooting flies and grasshoppers that land on your targets when sighting in or checking zero. I’ve saved a few targets that have that satisfying splat on them.

Had a copperhead come slithering across between me and my bow target one evening.
Nailed him at 15yds.

grin

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
Some long range shooting that is fun and ethical is shooting flies and grasshoppers that land on your targets when sighting in or checking zero. I’ve saved a few targets that have that satisfying splat on them.

Had a copperhead come slithering across between me and my bow target one evening.
Nailed him at 15yds.

grin
Did you range him first or just instinctively shoot him? wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Not me. Each rifle I build, I target practice to find my range limit.

If you can hold a tight group at 100 yards with say a 300wm or a 7mm, at what distance will that grouping expand to 30 inches?

After enough rifles, using Quickload and Quick target, I can extrapolate from from a 200 yard zero, out to a elevation of 8 moa. That is with either turret or reticle.
This makes the 6.5-06 and 7mmRM into 600 yard rifles for me, but the 250 Savage is more like a 400 yard rifle.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Nailed him at 15yds.

grin

Instinct, pure instinct.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In summary:

You shoot/hunt/whatever your way.....and leave me and mine the f uck alone!! Pretty damn simple!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
When the entire country is able to go at least 1 decade without a hunting related injury from a "sound-shot", I'll be happy to let you critique ethics and abilities.

Implication being that if the "animal" is close enough to hear walking for a "sound shot", it's 50yds and under most likely wearing bright orange yet somehow is still mistaken for a game animal. Fix that 1st.

Last edited by horse1; 09/20/22.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1
When the entire country is able to go at least 1 decade without a hunting related injury from a "sound-shot", I'll be happy to let you critique ethics and abilities.

Implication being that if the "animal" is close enough to hear walking for a "sound shot", it's 50yds and under most likely wearing bright orange yet somehow is still mistaken for a game animal. Fix that 1st.

No-schitter of the day.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
No deer, antelope or elk that I've shot ever heard the shot before the bullet hit him. Is that non-sporting? Dumbasses.

I interpreted that part of the article differently. To me, the argument was more about the animals not being able to place misses while the "long range hunter" walks shots in.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
It would seem to me that we're likely not too, too far from having optics on a rifle which will take a laser shot for distance and then automatically adjust the aiming point. Then it'll only be the wind the shooter has to contend with won't it?

Dwayne,

I always enjoy your posts. I'm afraid that we've eclipsed those technology predictions by more than you may have imagined...

https://talonprecisionoptics.com/technology/how-it-works/

Last edited by 8SNAKE; 09/20/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Not for me though I have zero issue with how one chooses to legally hunt.

O yea! A conservative.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don`t do long range shooting.For me the thrill is the stalk to get as close as possible.On the other hand I don`t figure I should tell others how to hunt.Ethics is always brought up.I don`t know why.Maybe we should all go back to throwing rocks at game as everything man has come up with is unfair to the animal.Just sayin!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have taken numerous elk, deer and antelope over the years and the longest shot/kill has been approximately 280 yards for any of them. Had a chance to shoot at big elk and mule deer at 550 to 600 yards but declined and instead waited to get closer shot, but then again I'm not a head hunter but meat hunter.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
“Most big game animals can’t detect a hunter more than 400 yards away. That’s out beyond the biological limits of the animal, and that’s not fair chase,”

"Most" ? - maybe. Tell it to sheep, or maybe antelope (not hunted those).

I got nailed to the board once by a band of 7 rams at 3 miles by the map. Sky-lined myself, I did....they went on high alert and moved from the slope out into the middle of a wide-open basin, and continued to give me the fish eye. Big bruiser in there too.. I was looking back with a 15-45 spotting scope.

One week before season.

I've a 1,000 yard gun (3 shot , inch groups at 300 yards), but under perfect conditions and known range, a 500 yard limit with that gun. Everything else I own is 1.25 or less, and those are 400 yard or less (mostly less) shooters.

And it ain't the guns.... smile

Last edited by las; 09/20/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's all good as long as you are using Chi-Com optics...LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffA
Not me. Each rifle I build, I target practice to find my range limit.

If you can hold a tight group at 100 yards with say a 300wm or a 7mm, at what distance will that grouping expand to 30 inches?

After enough rifles, using Quickload and Quick target, I can extrapolate from from a 200 yard zero, out to a elevation of 8 moa. That is with either turret or reticle.
This makes the 6.5-06 and 7mmRM into 600 yard rifles for me, but the 250 Savage is more like a 400 yard rifle.

That's pretty much how I'm set up.
I don't own exspensive fancy scopes, and I'm not shooting 100s of rounds a year.

But I know where my rifles hit a various distances and my limit is also 600, not a preference, just my limit.

More power to those with more capabilities, good on them.

I throughly enjoyed that video posted earlier in this thread of the kid dropping that bull at 1300+ yards.
It's like his father said at the end, they shoot those distances on their range at home all the time, it wasn't the kids first rodeo, he proved himself.

If you know you can do it, go for it..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Nailed him at 15yds.

grin

Instinct, pure instinct.

Thumbs up here.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most people can shoot better than they think. They just don't have the opportunity, or maybe desire, to find out. The majority of hunters never shoot a target beyond 100 yards.

"Two inches high at a hunerd is good out to bout as far as you can see em."

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Most people can shoot better than they think. They just don't have the opportunity, or maybe desire, to find out. The majority of hunters never shoot a target beyond 100 yards.

"Two inches high at a hunerd is good out to bout as far as you can see em."
3 and a half on my rum was good to 430 with no holdover.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1minute, 204guy, 160user, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 59 invisible), 1,899 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,901
Posts18,498,123
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.