Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’m just gonna add:

You don’t want some dumbass bang bang bang bang guy up there. Nail guns are great, I used them a lot.

But if Speedy Gonzales is throwing nails down above and below the nail-line with his non givafûckatude work ethic, and also dropping a nail into a drip path, you ain’t got a roof worth 10cents. And then maybe you DO need ice dam that ‘self seals holes’

Another thing is fools cranking regulators up too hi psi.

Good luck

And if you did metal, some dumbfûkk would likely zip your screws in so hot, it would shred the neoprene gaskets of em

I’ve seen a lot of bull crap doing opinions and inspections for title companies and doing leak repairs after Joe Lardass, was too busy camped out in his “shootin house” over a cornpile to come fix a new construction leak on one of his jobs.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Tin roof- - - -install it and forget it!

It always makes me happy, whenever a new building material gains popularity, to see people buy the whole "needs no maintenance" spiel.

Yes please, don't maintain your homes. Just watch some TV. Everything will be fine.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
tag

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr
You won't be replacing architectural shingles in 15 years either.
Get em in under the trees in the timber and there is a very good chance.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
At minimum synthetic felt with ice and shield for edges and valleys. 30 year Architectural shingles of most brands are fine.

GreggH

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
how old are you?
will you be in this house in 25 years?
cry once pay once....metal roof if at all possible
getting good work know is near impossible in 25 years who knows...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Good luck

And if you did metal, some dumbfûkk would likely zip your screws in so hot, it would shred the neoprene gaskets of em

When I gotta have a not so competent type runnin' screws he gets the drill with the clutch set to disengage.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
3 tab vs steel on a POS Flip
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Serious question... had a buddy that had a new home built.... probably less than 5 years old. They think it was the zero clearance fireplace but he had a fire and the fire dept said if it WAS'NT a metal roof they may have been able to save it. Claimed that the metal roof somehow prevented them or slowed them down fighting the fire??? I have no clue.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Harder to chop thru the roof with metal on it when you have an attic fire.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’m retarded

Oh, we know that !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
We have hail big as armadillos here in Texas. If you get 20 out of a roof you are lucky. Most people in my neighborhood had had 3 roofs put on the in the last 10 years. We've only had 1. Insurance also paid for new gutters, screens, fence staining and a new shed where hail went completely thru the roof. No wonder rates are going up. Replacing gutters most of the time is stupid. I couldnt even tell mine were damaged. Lots of golf ball dimpled cars too.

i paid extra for 3 whirley birds and the idiots put all three within about 10 feet of each other on the lowest part of the roof. Made them move them.

Lowes screwed up and delivered a 50 year instead of a 25 year and no body noticed till the job was half done so I got a free upgrade.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Malarkey with 6 nails in the nail line. Mine have survived some big winds where neighbors have blown off. I used to use certantied and had good luck with those too. I use 2 runs of ice and water along the bottom here in est idaho too because we get some ice dams. I go at least 60" up on ice and water. Proper nailing is the key to long life.

I had one rental that was only a 4/12 pitch and I did ice and water on the whole roof. Stripping it will be a pain the next time.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 09/21/22.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like Certainteed Landmark, Malarkey Vista and Atlas Pinnacle for standard architectural shingles.

SD

K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Some good advice. Thanks guys

Roof is zip system so apparently it doesn’t need underlayment
Of any type per manufacturer

My plan is to still use ice and rain on valleys and potential problem spots. Zip the edge of metal flashing as well. Synthetic everywhere else. Gosh. I sure hope that is good insurance vs just the zip board and tape( is that overkill or a good idea)

Drip edge is required here.

6” gutters. The bigger downspouts( I forget the size vs standard )

K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Btw. Checked metal pricing today. 2.5x what really good shingles would cost.

The standing seam or whatever the name seamless metal was legit 5x cost of shingles

Wish I could swing it but can’t.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kevinJ

I don't care what Zip says, when I use Zip sheeting I still put an underlayment over it. No way in hell I wouldn't.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What was your price on metal?

20 yr paint

I just paid $1100 for 10 squares, screws, ridge capping

Small job

$110 ish a square,
and DIY in a weekend with couple friends, wife and grown kids.

K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Was told materials would be 250ish a square. But I’m gonna check another roofing supplier and see what they say

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by hardway
Serious question... had a buddy that had a new home built.... probably less than 5 years old. They think it was the zero clearance fireplace but he had a fire and the fire dept said if it WAS'NT a metal roof they may have been able to save it. Claimed that the metal roof somehow prevented them or slowed them down fighting the fire??? I have no clue.

The problem with metal roofs is that they act like a lid on a saucepan or tin foil over a baking dish. They hold the heat in and make it a little tougher to let all the heat, smoke and superheated gases escape making for a much more volatile environment inside the residence.
Single story ranch homes aren’t as challenging but any two stories homes with multiple roof lines are a harder nut to crack.
They can also be tricky to “read” so I usually try to vent horizontally and keep my people off the roof if it’s metal.
On top of that, no two metal roofs in our area are installed alike it seems; usually a couple of layers of shingles and purlins underneath but you never know.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by kevinJ

I don't care what Zip says, when I use Zip sheeting I still put an underlayment over it. No way in hell I wouldn't.

than what good is zip sheeting?......bob

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (257Bob, 22250rem, 1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 52 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,911
Posts18,518,678
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.