Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
WTS: used history and outdoors books. These are all used, but I don't try to sell any that aren't in very readable condition (and I DO "sniff test" them before I buy them to see if they are musty--I'm very allergic to mold, like too many people....).

ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS ZIP CODES. I try hard to ship the next mail day after I get payment.

I take cash, personal checks made out to me, money orders ditto. I DON'T TAKE paypal, third party checks, credit cards, or online payments like applepay. (Actually, I'm still a little suspicious of paper money, but so far nobody has sent me any "plata dura," so I settle for paper, and I must admit it's always worked. So far.).

Only way to reserve--order--a book or books is to put an "I'll take book(s) #s _____" ON THIS AD. Then I'll mark the book or books as sold (SPF) on this ad (as long as the edit function keeps working) and PM you my legal name and address for payment.

Please ask questions or make comments by only by PM; save the ad space for orders.

TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF ANY BOOK YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE (I get a little break on postage for multiple book orders, so I kick a little back to you).

American History Titles

1) SPF "George Washington's Secret Six: the Spy Ring that Saved the American Revolution" by Brian Kilmeade.

2) SPF"Joseph N. Nicollet on the Plains and Prairies: the Expeditions of 1838-39 with Letters, Journals, and Notes on the Dakota Indians" edited by Edmund C. Bray and Martha Coleman Bray.

3) "Seizing Destiny: The Relentless Expansion of American Territory" by Richard Kluger. How did the US get to be one of the largest nations in the world, four times the size of the original 13 colonies? Well, it's sorta complicated and involved some heroic gambles, some serious swindles, and a LOT of fighting and hard work! Kluger, a Pulitzer Prize winning historian, goes thru all of the details of the "deals" that it took, including some fairly sordid ones. Interesting that the sophisticated Europeans seem to have lost out on almost every big land deal with us simple Yankees.... PB 665 pp. exc cond illus w/10 maps (the big bites we took out of our neighbors' lunches). $6

4) SPF "Incidents of Travel in Yucatan" by John L. Stephens.

5) SPF "Wyatt Earp: The Life Behind the Legend" by Casey Tefertiller.

6) SPF "The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire That Saved America" by Timothy Egan.

Heavy Duty World History

7) "1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus, 2nd ed." by Charles C. Mann Mann's book combines recent archeological
historical, and genetic studies to give a very different view of the pre-Columbian New World than that previously accepted. Much longer human occupancy and larger populations, much more interconnection between areas by trade and war. Mann had done studies based on NASA satellite imagery which stimulated his wider ranging studies into historical and archeological data, resulting in this massive book, first published in 2005, This is the revised 2nd edition. Later studies using both satellite images and ground-penetrating LIDAR images confirm much of his theory that, for example, the Amazon rain forest of our era was mainly a populated agricultural landscape before European diseases decimated its original native population just after first European contacts on the coast of South America and before Europeans were even aware of Amazonia. Quality PB 567 pp. new cond illus w/b/w photos, maps, notes, and bibliography. $7

8) SPF "1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Discovered" by Charles C. Mann.

9) SPF "Guns, Germs, and Steel" the Fates of Human Societies" by Jared Diamond.

10) SPF "The Neanderthal Enigma: Solving the Mystery of Modern Human Origins" by James Shreve.

Outdoor Topics

11) SPF "Out of Africa" by Isak Dinesen.

12) "The Safari Companion: A Guide to Watching African Mammals" by Richard D. Estes. This isn't specifically a hunting book, but it would be valuable to anyone making an African safari with gun or camera, because it focuses on the specific behavior of each of 80 species. Each animal is described: "what it is," where it lives, ecology, activities, social/mating system, reproduction, offspring and parental care, predators, detailed description of daily activities. Each species illustrated by a line drawing (usually two individuals to show front and back views). Not just about game animals--detailed entries about just about any mammal you are likely to see! Quality PB 461 pp. exc./new cond illus w.drawings, maps, and charts. $7

13) SPF "Hunting Upland Birds" by Charles F. Waterman.

14) SPF "The Compleat Lee Wulff: A Treasury of Lee Wulff's Greatest Angling Adventures" Intro. by Charles Meredith.

15) "29th Anniversary Deluxe Edition Gun Digest" ed. by John Amber. You know what this is. But do you want to know what's IN it? Reviews all the new stuff for 1975, plus articles on good guns and loads and gear that were "classic" even then. Hunting narratives and how-tos, product tests, firearms history. Just don't look at the prices! (Hint: S&W M-48 K-22 WRM $130.00....). Softbound 448 pp. near new cond 8 1/2x11" format illus w/thousands of b/w photos , diagrams and tables. $7.

Thanks for reading my (usual) windy post! DON'T FORGET to take $1 off the price of any book or books you order after the first one!

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Last edited by Mesa; 09/23/22.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hi Mike,

I'll take #'s 4 & 14

Thanks,

rudyc

It's a good day for something.
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #s 4 and 14 SPF to rudyc Thanks for buying AGAIN!!!!

PM ASAP.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll take 1 and 5

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'll take #8 and #10.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
#2,6, and #13 please.

send total and will send check and address.

Thanks Mike

FJB
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #s 1 and 5 SPF to badwolf
#s 8 and 10 SP to Mule Deer
#s 2, 6, and 13 SPF to rockchucker

Thanks for buying all of you! PMs on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'll take #9 and #11, PM incoming,

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #s 9 and 11 SPF to colodog Thanks for buying! Response to your PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'll do 3, 7, and 12.

IC B3

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #s 3, 7, and 12 SPF to Slowmover12 Thanks for buying again! PM answer on the way ASAP.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 257Bob, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,663
Posts18,493,629
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.